• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unusual Type B3

Carl

Have been shown this B3 with a view to buying it . There is a "story" with it that I'm not 100% with but I'll leave that out for the time being .
image0(3).jpeg
image2(2).jpeg
image2(4).jpeg
image0(6).jpeg
image3(2).jpeg
image1(4).jpeg

Attachments

• image0(2).jpeg
    image0(2).jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 175

Silver Surfer

if unusual you are referring to the hides being pieced together, not to worry, as this was done often through out wwll. looks like a real nice early war issue. remember, regardless of how solid and well they look, those original b-3s are not wearers. almost as soon as they are moved, they begin to crack due to the the surface coating. that written, this one looks to be free of cracking or surface flaking. nice one.

B-Man2

Looks like there could be something going on down in the lower left corner of the back, but the angle and the lighting make it difficult to tell. It is a nice jacket . Any idea of who made it Carl? I didn’t see a manufacturer’s label.

Carl

if unusual you are referring to the hides being pieced together, not to worry, as this was done often through out wwll. looks like a real nice early war issue. remember, regardless of how solid and well they look, those original b-3s are not wearers. almost as soon as they are moved, they begin to crack due to the the surface coating. that written, this one looks to be free of cracking or surface flaking. nice one.
the zip has unfortunately had its day but a replacment one wil be supplied . Would dare wear it !! like my other one simply a display piece here at home .

mulceber

Beautiful piece, Carl! Thanks for sharing! Are you able to read the writing on the back of the collar strap? Also, why replace the zipper? I'd understand, if we were talking about a wearable piece, but if it's for display, isn't it better that it be all-original?

asiamiles

remember, regardless of how solid and well they look, those original b-3s are not wearers. almost as soon as they are moved, they begin to crack due to the the surface coating.
Really? I thought this was something that mainly applied to Navy shearling jackets.

Silver Surfer

over the course of over thirty years of owning original aaf gear, i have had only one b-3 that i would consider even remotely wearable, and gary eastman purchased it from me several years ago.

Silver Surfer

nope, the one i sold was a mid war rw plain jane in seal. the jacket had a coupla sewn together panels like the jacket carl posted. i believe that gary purchased it as an occasional wearer or to examine it for reference.

Micawber

Up to 20 ish years ago I had a couple of original B-3s that I felt confident enough to wear on a regular basis and that's what I did. I wore them hard too but would I do it now ....not at all, even 20 years has made a difference to the durability of even the best originals, they are best left for display. Some were fragile during the war, those that survive deserve conservation and a gentle display retirement.

asiamiles

over the course of over thirty years of owning original aaf gear, i have had only one b-3 that i would consider even remotely wearable, and gary eastman purchased it from me several years ago.
I've only ever owned one original B-3 and it felt stronger than any repro I'd handled.