• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unknown Patch

mario

Please help Identify 2 Patches, possible WWII
WWII Unknown, 2.jpg

WWII Unknown.jpg

unclegrumpy

The top patch is the 546th Bomb Squadron. It is US made, and from exactly the time period written on the patch....1942-1943. This style patch was common to 2nd AAF units that trained in the Idaho, Eastern Washington, and Utah areas. Most, but not all later deployed overseas. The 546th went to the ETO.

mario

I am new to searching Veterans, is this the web site I would go to if I have a name? Are there any other

unclegrumpy

Researching WW II guys is often hit and miss, and there is not any particular "go to" place or method. You got lucky with Jack Hunter, because there were several places he is mentioned...another being the 91st BG website. I'd say more than half of WW II guys are really difficult to easily find anything about...and that includes ones with some rather stelar combat records.

One thing you also have to factor in is the information and clues you have to start with...in this case knowing he was likely in the 546th BS and that his middle initial was "W"...were both big helps. More often what you are looking for is the guy's unit, and that can be very difficult to find....as is not knowing his full name or dealing with a name that is common or has a potential nick name...like "Jack", which can mean the guy's real name is actually John.

mario

All good info and I appreciate your time, I am confident we will speak again, till next time, Thanks