• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

United Sheeplined Owners Unite!...............(and show us your jackets)

mulceber

Sorry for the lack of clarity; I meant we’re looking forward to seeing the other jackets shared elsewhere on the board.

Yep, it’s definitely a USL.

B-Man2

Outstanding fit pic Geezer!
That looks cool on you.
Yep it’s a Sheeplined post, to but this is a Vintage Section so feel free to post your originals anywhere you like in the Vintage Section . This way we can find you;)

Nnatalie

Decided to do some browsing, and I found a few United Sheeplined employment ads in New Jersey newspapers that may pertain to this A-2 contract. Of course, they were also making other products for the military (like field jackets), and they must have been making some civilian items too.

13 June 1942:
img

11 September 1942:
img

05 December 1942:
img

mulceber

Yeah, the first one is almost definitely hiring to fill this contract. As to the second two? Hard to say. I don't know what data we have on how long it took most contractors to fill these contracts.

Edward

WOW!!!! That was a darn great read! really enjoyed this very much! insightful, even personal.. it read as if I was listening in on a live forum conversation. this is great and I do hope this continues with other contract conversations. Very fun!!!!

newagegeezer

Have just measured up the jacket and added some other measurements for interest/help -

shoulder 20 inches
shoulder to shoulder across collar 22.5
chest, pit to pit 23
sleeve along outer edge 25 inc 2 inch cuff
length 26.5 inc 2 inch waistband
pocket is 5.5 inch square, flap is 3 inch
top of flap to bottom of pocket is 6.5 inch
collar is 3 inches wide
the epaulet is 7 inch in front and 7.75 at back

my Bronco W535 ac 29191 for comparison is labelled 42
this jacket is about 1 - 1.5 inch larger all round apart from the outside sleeve which is longer on the Bronco at 27 inc a 3 inch cuff

so I'd guess this is might be a 44 ?
certainly the United fits me better to my liking, not so snug and I can just about do the throat snap up on the Bronco but easily on the United
photo of Bronco attached
btw does anyone know of Paul Roberts an aviation dealer in UK way back in the 70s early 80s ? I last heard of him when he was in Hebden Bridge,UK , I bought quite a few of my jackets et al from him back then, (inc these 2 and a gorgeous Dubow which stupidly I sold to go towards funding another mbike ) this was way pre i/net so it was photocopied lists, bought on just a description, no photos, I'd like to get in touch if he's still around.
Cheers
John

Attachments

• IMG_3150.JPG
    IMG_3150.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 227
  • IMG_3155.JPG
    IMG_3155.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 186

mulceber

Yep, sounds like a 44 to me. Thanks for posting the measurements. I’ll try to put together some kind of table a little later.

newagegeezer

One other small difference I forgot to mention before between teh Bronco and the USL that I noticed when measuring them up is that the USL has smaller underarm grommets than teh Bronco, 3/16 inch USL and 1/4 inch on Bronco , but maybe like the zips, whatever was available ? Maybe yours are different ?
And as you have already commented the pockets are roughly the same size as Bronco but the United flap is 3 inch compared with Bronco's 2 and 7/8 which doesn't sound much but looks a lot bigger.

mulceber

Size4246 (Geezer)46 (Burt)
Pit-to-Pit22"23.5”24"
Shoulders18.25"20"20"
Back25"26.5"27"
Sleeve25.5"26”26"

I can always make a new table if more measurements are added. :)

Last edited:

B-Man2

I have a feeling that Geezers jacket is a wartime production size 46. If The measurements are taken to very close specs those shoulders and back length are size 46 measurements and the pits could be off by an inch or so. I’m thinking you have a size 46 there Geezer.

Micawber

<snip>
btw does anyone know of Paul Roberts an aviation dealer in UK way back in the 70s early 80s ? I last heard of him when he was in Hebden Bridge,UK , I bought quite a few of my jackets et al from him back then, (inc these 2 and a gorgeous Dubow which stupidly I sold to go towards funding another mbike ) this was way pre i/net so it was photocopied lists, bought on just a description, no photos, I'd like to get in touch if he's still around.
Cheers
John

Yes I remember Paul and likewise bought from him in years past. I think his name came up during a personal chat with Carl but can't recall where we concluded Paul was these days. I believe he got out of dealing a long time ago.

newagegeezer

sorry, my mistake, just remeasured - sleeve is 26 inch inc 2 inch cuff
and the chest measurement about 23.5 inch rather than 23
and thanks for reply Steve about Paul
Cheers

B-Man2

sorry, my mistake, just remeasured - sleeve is 26 inch inc 2 inch cuff
and the chest measurement about 23.5 inch rather than 23
and thanks for reply Steve about Paul
Cheers
Geezer
That’s definitely a size 46.
Thanks for sharing all of that information . And photos. I bet your original collection was awesome.