• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

United Sheeplined, Bronco, and I. Spiewak & Sons, What do they all have in common?

Terry le Pirat

Hi and thanks for this interesting posting! Interesting stitching on the Bronco hanger, i do not think i have seen this "shortcut" on any other contract. Very nice collection you have! Best regards, Jerry

B-Man2

I resurrected this thread because I thought it would be interesting to see what’s become of one of the companies we talked about here, and what’s become of that company so many years later. The I Spiewak company was an interesting business that had one contract to produce A2 jackets during WWII. After the war, they produced jackets under the Golden Fleece and Spiewak labels . Yesterday as I was walking thru a wholesale store near my home, where they sell various items at prices below retail costs, I happened to notice this jacket and label . It seems that one of the companies we have studied and learned so much about as a WWII A2 contractor is still in existence . Check out the photos :
02D190AD-77BA-4EAE-BD2A-62D9A6E228A0.jpeg
1D5F5E6C-8B32-408C-B550-FF7535D8ABAF.jpeg

And the history of I. Spiewak & Sons continues. And now you know the rest of the story .:)

Juanito

One question...do you have any idea where the Spiewak location was in North Bergen, NJ? It is not a big place and I have literally walked every street there, but I have never found any information on where the actual location was? It would be most appreciated.

Last edited:

B-Man2

One question...do you have any idea where the Spiewak location was in North Bergen, NJ? It is not a big place and I have literally walked every street there, but I have never found any information on where the actual location was? It would be most appreciated.
Jon
I don’t know where the original factory was located but I’ll try to research the question and get back to you .

Juanito

Jon
I don’t know where the original factory was located but I’ll try to research the question and get back to you .
I would imagine a city directory from that era would have the information, but for some.reason I never went to the library to see if they had one.

As I recall fromnsome.other research I did, they never actually manufactured there, but rather just had an office. Still a curiosity of mine.

Last edited:

WBOONE

Very interesting and Beautiful Originals. I would love to find a Bronco in a 44 or 46. I do have a Golden Fleece leather jacket I bought new back in early 80’s In a army / navy surplus shop. It’s Black with a talon zip. It is well made.

johnwayne

The Golden Fleece link is interesting in that I have a treasured re-pop of a 1930’s style varsity jacket (proper collar rather than knitted style) bought new here in London probably late 80’s and that states on label ‘GF San Francisco’ - guess it could be made elsewhere though and yes it has leather sleeves but defo no fleece!!

Grant

Great info Burt, thanks for all the work.
Looking at my Eastman HLB with the angled pockets, makes me wonder if New York City based HLB Corp might have any relation to the Spiewak clan.