• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unbranded, unlabeled A2 leather jacket - ID?

Silverthorn

Hi there, first time visiting this forum. I recently found a vintage A2 leather jacket at a thrift store. It has no branding, and very little labeling apart from its size (38). Is there any way to distinguish this jacket brand or vintage? I've attached three photos. It has a Talon zip and cloth lined pockets, as seen. Epaulets are fastened with snaps and there are two exposed snaps underneath the collar to accommodate a hood. If there are any other details that would be helpful, please let me know.

Patrick

r2Qysnd.jpg

5buCUni.jpg

tU7XXMb.jpg

SUQCrIw.jpg

a2jacketpatches

Far from an A2 Jacket, looks like a cross between a G1 with the bi-swing pleated back, with a2 type styling in the front, zip out lining is typical mall jacket features. etc. etc. Not even close to what's usually discussed here. Basically you have a civilian bomber style jacket. Maybe someone here can date it from the TALON zipper though.

Silverthorn

Thanks for the reply, I browsed the other threads after posting and realized I was in over my head on here! There are some beautiful jackets on here. Is there a good resource that classifies and indexes jacket types?

a2jacketpatches

Silverthorn said:
Thanks for the reply, I browsed the other threads after posting and realized I was in over my head on here! There are some beautiful jackets on here. Is there a good resource that classifies and indexes jacket types?

Lots of books, online info, and right here. Just start looking around. Lots of info and knowledge here right down to specific contracts and details. Maybe someone else could chime in and recommend a beginning point for you. I started with Hell Bent for Leather and the Eastman Golden Book but that was 15 years ago. I'm sure there's a better resource for you now to learn the basics.

Roughwear

I notice it has an internal zip for a detachable liner. It is across between an MC, G1 and A2 jacket and most likely dates to the 1970s/80s.

Silver Surfer

70s through now. dont worry about authentic, old, value. just wear it, and wear it hard. in the meantime, look deeper into the abyss of the vlj addiction and see if that is where you want to go. remember though, once started, theres no turning back. [to the sound of "the twilight zone" music]

robrinay

It looks like a 1970s or 1980s LL Bean or more likely an early Schott 'A2' - in both cases a hybrid G1/A2 often with a poppered false mouton collar hand warmer pockets a zip out liner and a Talon zip. Recently made Schotts have a nearly identical zipper pull but marked Schott. As others have said its a civilian jacket and lots of manufacturers made and still make similar 'bomber' jackets. The manufacturers label would have been attached to the missing zip out fleece liner. If you do a search on eBay for Schott A2 you'll be able compare their various models to yours and get an idea of its age.

Silverthorn

Thank you very much for all the feedback. Let me also say how refreshing it is to get friendly answers, as opposed to snobbery that seems to be pervasive on the internet. Mucho gusto!

The jacket fits me well, though a tad short. At 6'3" the back feels like its riding up a bit. I'll give 'er a spin come spring and see how I like it.