• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ultimate Indy Boots

Happy Hooligan

Yesterday I just opened my box of Ultimate Indy Boots from Leather Soul in Hawaii.

Thought I'd share some photos of them and compare them to the original 405 boots from Alden...

Major differences are Leather lined, lug sole, darker better leather and waxed laces...
3181745396_45ce8260d5.jpg

3181747444_f4bf8c9371.jpg

3180914759_669ac38bfb.jpg

3180914193_5d44a63e3a.jpg

3181748380_d630a4698d.jpg

3181748558_0302c2b80e.jpg

3181748654_bf1abd82b6.jpg

Cobblers161

They are beautiful boots and the leather lining is incredibly comfortable.

Only issue I found was the stitching came loose where the corner of the top piece(with the lace holes) is sewn onto the main part of the boot. However they had been given a lot of stick.

Give 'em hell.

Hamsterbear

The earlier Alden 405's were the darker shade as your photo above shows, then they switched to the lighter more "orange" one of the original Aldens you are comparing above..
I hated the orange, so I treated the uppers on my 405's to Lincoln shoe dye, starting with a mid- brown and then another application that was darker to achieve the look of the original color. Someone here posted photos a while back of their 405's with new old stock 1940's "Cats Paw" soles and rubber soles almost identical to the one's above. These new offerings are what the boot should look like.
-Brian

Chandler

So they're both made by Alden? I couldn't find the "Ultimates" at the Alden web site, are they in the same price range as the current Indy?

Chandler

Doug C

Nice looking boots Happy, I think the thin vibrab sole is great, I'd personally prefer a non-vibrab heel though but not the normal 405 wavey shaped heel, just a straight one. To me the wavey one looks a little strange on the side where it's longest. As for the shell cordovan, I know a ton of folks are big fans of it but I find it too dressy for an Indy boot, unless you're going to be wearing it as strickly a dress boot - I personally prefer an old rough looking Indy boot and the shell cordovan reminds me of a shiney parade boot (JMHO).

Doug C

airfrogusmc

Man those are sweet. I have a pair of 8 year old indys 3 sets of heels and resoled but still goin strong. I really like those ultimates. Leather linings to huh?