• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UK seamstress / seammeister ??

Officer Dibley

I know ELC will put a name tag on my ELC B-15 but anyone know who in the UK will put a non ELC leather sqn patch on it and name tag and patch on my GW ?
Thanks
Dave

MikeyB-17

Stuff like that I have found your average local shoe repairer or upholsterer can do. I’ve also done it myself using the double needle technique with good results. I know there are those who want the lining opened up, and it all done very particularly, but I don’t think the parachute riggers on an airbase, who would probably have done it during the war, would have bothered with any of that. I think it’s more authentic if it’s done a bit roughly.

Persimmon

I know ELC will put a name tag on my ELC B-15 but anyone know who in the UK will put a non ELC leather sqn patch on it and name tag and patch on my GW ?
Thanks
Dave

I have added several name tags to A2’s and A1’s over the years and have just used my local clothes alterations tailor.
The biggest issue is getting it straight so I always mark it out first so they know what to do when putting it on.
If you look around for shops that do clothes alterations local to you.
Another point is whether you want it then to sew it through to the lining or have them unpick the lining, sew the patch on and then restitch the lining for the more finished result.
In Nottingham I have used two alteration tailors - both still around - and they charge £10 for the service.
Hope you get it sorted locally.

Brettafett

Byson leather will do it, as will Donna at Horizon Designs... pm me if you cant find contact details...

Micawber

Get that sewing machine sorted Dave. Practice first and then DIY. You certainly don't want to start unpicking the lining, it's a WW2 repro jacket not an Anderson & Sheppard bespoke suit! ;)

Officer Dibley

Watching one near me right now Steve. No way would i unpick the lining. Gotta be pukka period done.

I’m guessing wings patch above. Gotta find what patch the triangular-ish shape was first. Any ideas anyone ?
E0130827-ECBB-4DB1-97E3-DC55328EC2F2.jpeg

Officer Dibley

Byson leather will do it, as will Donna at Horizon Designs... pm me if you cant find contact details...

Thanks. I’ll be in touch with both. Have you personal experience of their handiwork ?

Persimmon, Ken , thanks !! I was concerned the leather might be too thick for normal machines - especially the name tag. Wings and FG / BG patches tend to be quite thin right ?

Dave

Last edited: