• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Type A-9 Flight trousers time frame?

Dany McDonald

Hello,

Does anyone have information on the production dates of A-9 trousers?

There seems to exist a least three variations:

One with 5 x buttoned pockets, no zippers.

One with 2 x angled zipper pockets and 3 x buttoned pockets.

One with 2 x zipper opening from bottom to knee, 2 x angled zipper pockets and 3 x buttoned pockets.

Sorry the vague descriptions...And correct this info appropriately.

The plan is to have a B-10 made (Ideally by Goodwear) with the buttons and Conmar zipper puller from a period correct A-9. Goodwear still has the B-10 on the order page, but no pictures per say.

Thanks,

Dany

Last edited:

dmar836

If JC offers a B-10 you can be assured he has the appropriate hardware. Unless you want to rob a period zipper pull and buttons just so you can say they are from 1944, though on a new repro jacket, (and thereby destroying an actual period item) then there really is no reason. I likely have several A-9s and I'm sure Carl can scare up the contract dates but sure cannot see them being from different enough time frames to matter with the hardware. They are all late-war as are the B-10s.
Am I missing something?
Dave

Dany McDonald

Dave,

The goal is to find the appropriate donor A-9. A pair in bad shape like some ebay offerings, so replacing buttons and taking one slider is acceptable...!? And yes I am debating if it's acceptable...

Mostly, I am trying to find out if some were produced after 1945.

I just bought a pair made by Sovereign in near mint condition with the pale OD color buttons, no zips, they will go in the collection!

And I am in the procees of acquiring a pair made by Rough Wear, that are really salty with a lot of tears and missing some components.

Dany

dmar836

I don't think there was much of anything made under wartime contracts once the war ended. There are stories of shiploads of supplies with nowhere to go. Govt is inefficient but I assume production didn't continue with that surplus. Though there were always updated contracts - M46 Ike jackets etc come to mind that I have come across, I can't remember seeing as much of the combat gear dated '46. Just post-war produced flying trousers even if the A-11s, and especially the superseded A-9s, would be odd. They went nylon pretty quickly and the E-1s(I think) came out just a few years after the war. I think even the A-11s went nylon IIRC with the B-15s before a major pattern change but long story short I think you are safe.
A majority of what I know is from what I have seen and compared at shows, shops, in other's collections, etc. I don't have a whole lot of reference books as they aren't that useful to my collecting. Again, I think Carl has some definitive info on the actual contracts.
Dave

Dany McDonald

Dave, You are right about Goodwear having appropriate hardware... I found some image of the elusive and planned B-10 and this : The buttons are vintage WWII buttons, and the zipper is an NOS brass M-43 Talon, which works great.

Thank you for the info, really appreciated as I dont own any reference myself and this site is my primary source.

Dany

Carl

Can i chime in on this ? Im a bit confused with the description of the A9 trouser !?!? They should have 2 zipped pockets below the knee (slanted) and one pocket on the right side thigh .
As for production dates , there is a list ,that I , thats me !! no one else compiled ! showing contract dates for the B10 /A9 combo . The earliest contract award date was September 43 and the last completion date was June 44.

Dany McDonald

Hello Carl,

Sorry if my initial description was vague!

Here are some images of different variants of A-9 and A-10. Beside cloth/buttons colors, there seems to have been a lot of variants in production (belt loops, pocket position, lower leg openings...). Do you have date/info for A-10 flight trousers?

The first strip is compose of:

Dann Clothing Type A-9 -- Zippers are horizontal instead of slanted.
Oldin Dennis Type A-9 -- Two vertical zippers running up the ankle
Fitzwell Sportswear Type A-9 -- No zipper pockets and one pocket on left side

A-9-Variants.jpg

Second strip is compose of A-10 pants, identical to A-9 but reinforced back and front with a double layer of cloth:
Ben Greenholts Type A-10 -- No zipped pockets
W&C Clothing Type A-10 -- No zipped pockets and reinforce patch of cloth
A-10-Variants.jpg

Thank you,

Dany

Carl

Well Dany !! Thats somthing i have learned ! Never knew there were so many variations of the A9 and A10 trouser !! :eek:

Dany McDonald

Hey Carl,

I was under the impression that the manufacturers were to follow strict specifications and apply amendments only when directed... I am happy they had some leeway when producing all the types and variants, it adds to the interest and collecting!

D

Carl

Now im hunting for the different types !!
Do you mind if use this info else where ?
C

Dany McDonald

No problem.

There's also Type A-8, same cloth and pocket except for the insulation, quilted instead of alpaca... Some A-8 look exactly like A-10 with the reinforcement double cloth patch, quilted insulation.

D

Greg Gale

I don't imagine they make any repros of these? Wouldn't make a nice streetwear :D I could use one for winter flying though.

Carl

No problem.

There's also Type A-8, same cloth and pocket except for the insulation, quilted instead of alpaca... Some A-8 look exactly like A-10 with the reinforcement double cloth patch, quilted insulation.

D
Type A8's should be quilted Dany ! :confused:

Carl

@Dany McDonald , im presently ammending my lists for the B10 /A9 set and the B11/A10 sets . I will inform you of the dates etc when i have got the ammendments made .

Many thanks for bringing this interesting and important info to the forfront

Carl

Dany McDonald

Hey man it's my pleasure to share on this forum!

Question: Was it common for manufactures to get contract for A-9 and no B-10? They had the cloth and hardware to do both.

Thank you,

Dany

Carl

Hey man it's my pleasure to share on this forum!

Question: Was it common for manufactures to get contract for A-9 and no B-10? They had the cloth and hardware to do both.

Thank you,

Dany
Dany , I havnt anything on my lists that show just A9 trousers being made . BUT! and i know it isnt anything to do with this topic BUT i do have details of just A11a trousers being made and B15a jacket .