• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Type A-2 How they were made in 1942 and why the anomalies

Ken at Aero Leather

Would hazard a guess Ken and the crew have pumped out more jackets than Aero did during the war. The customers keep coming back? And they're always right. And there a lots if them!
Not quite, don't forget the 110,000 Aero Beacon made for the Soviet Lease Lend................a rough estimateof Aero Scotland jackets? We've made between 140,000 and 150,000 since 1981 and Julie's made around 10% of those on her own but I doubt if she's made over 50 A-2s in all that time..............she's got much harder styles to make
BTW don't expect me to get involved on any troll's BS as I'm in the middle of moving house

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

I've just been reminded that the only occasion since 1984 that the Type A-2 was our best seller was for a couple of weeks during 1987 and only because we stopped all other work to catch up on a big wholesale order

crism1

I was just commenting on the fact that all of Ken's SPECULATION about making WW2 jackets seems not to have made him or his WW2 A-2s very accurate. He is definitely NOT Moses come down from the mountain tellin' us how it was! He starts the post promising that this would "explain" the variations in WW2 jackets. The informed BS that follows does not do so. I do wish his vast experience would translate into better repros- and I kinda get the feeling that he was sideways making excuses. All those variations (which I think are a bit exaggerated) were simply the product of industrial sewing.

Well, with some logic and knowledge about the period's means of production, there's absolutely no way around and very little speculation.

ZuZu

Not quite, don't forget the 110,000 Aero Beacon made for the Soviet Lease Lend................a rough estimateof Aero Scotland jackets? We've made between 140,000 and 150,000 since 1981 and Julie's made around 10% of those on her own but I doubt if she's made over 50 A-2s in all that time..............she's got much harder styles to make
BTW don't expect me to get involved on any troll's BS as I'm in the middle of moving house

Really! A troll! No sir- I am as out and proud as you! ;)I don't live under a bridge- I'm Jeff Thurston- not hiding- just an A-2 jacket critic with EYES!

ausreenactor

You don't contribute much more than your focused 'expert' opinions... .Very focused input after nearly a decade on the sidelines. Would imagine you have a large collection of jackets to present to highly interested forum members? Haven't seen too much... just regurgitated pics from elsewhere?

How many A-2s do you presently own Jeff? I think it never rose more than the one Good Wear A-2 that replaced the last Good Wear A-2? Over the last ten years you would have accrued a large number of Good Wear and Diamond A-2s surely?

"Present them...."

ZuZu

You don't contribute much more than your focused 'expert' opinions... .Very focused input after nearly a decade on the sidelines. Would imagine you have a large collection of jackets to present to highly interested forum members? Haven't seen too much... just regurgitated pics from elsewhere?

How many A-2s do you presently own Jeff? I think it never rose more than the one Good Wear A-2 that replaced the last Good Wear A-2? Over the last ten years you would have accrued a large number of Good Wear and Diamond A-2s surely?

"Present them...."

Oh I don't have to qualify for you sir! I've been at this business a long time. I COULD just as well become expert just looking at photographs! Because I can see~! With my eyes! Stuff you obviously don't! I think someone like YOU could have a collection of hundreds of jackets and still not know as much as I do! Because you DON"T see! You don't like me because I criticize the work of your buddy Ken- criticism which is 100% accurate and undeniable!

That being said- I have over the years seen and studied many jackets of all types- original, repro, cloth, Navy, AAF- and I can tell you I have a talent- a GIFT- for seeing what makes a jacket what it is. You seem disturbed by my Good Wear connection- maybe you're baffled- YOU don't understand the hoopla about details and pattern. Hilarious that you would call me out for only contributing my "...focused expert opinions..."! Would you rather I contributed my mundane, predictable, boring opinions as you do?

ausreenactor

"Would you rather I contributed my mundane, predictable, boring opinions as you do?"

Give it a try. The most popular posts are tied to imagery and rocking the jackets as worn. The forum is certainly more about how the jackets are worn, were worn and as part of a complete range of flying equipment these days. The forum has moved away from when you were here a decade ago.

The Good Wear connection came off as idolatry back then. Good Wear hardly gets a mention here these days in comparison to other makers and their products.

From the outset I predicted and posted about the likely negatives to your emergence, and all I see is more of the same behaviours that got you booted.

Platon offered a lot of robust opinion and is now making probably the best bang for buck jacket on the forum. Perhaps with some restrictions placed on manufacturer posts (Ken included some might say) then he could get a second chance? Many here would love to know what he is thinking for the future of JA Dubow.

Like I said earlier I have 'more than enough of the near enough'. And I am happy with that. I have never demanded anything of anyone here and I would never consider it. I think your persistent demands of Aero are futile and are now mute.

I look forward to seeing your next positive posts with my EYES.

SuinBruin

Price is obviously a more important criterion than accuracy in the current A-2 repro market, this is why Good Wear is so hard up for orders.

B-Man2

Jeff
Honestly man ... you may very well have a talent and a gift. You sure do have a lot of valuable insight into a lot of the things you talk about, but honestly man ... while you seem to be a pretty bright guy .... your message is getting lost and overshadowed by your tone , posting demeanor and a bit of attitude mixed with arrogance . When that happens, people start to tune you out and the message gets lost or blocked and not read. I’m not a fan of any specific manufacturer including Ken, but I am a fan of this little forum and many of the people who post here... including you. But dude .. you just didn’t introduce yourself the way that many new members do when they first come in the VLJ scene. You blew the damn doors in and you up’d your game from there by telling everyone how great you are and how Aero needs to hire you, and how you have a talent and a gift . Come on Man.., all this is beneath you. If you want to keep most peoples attention here , you need to back it down a notch . That’s all I’ve got. I hope you consider this as friendly advise because that’s what it’s meant to be.
Cheers

Last edited:

ZuZu

"Would you rather I contributed my mundane, predictable, boring opinions as you do?"

Give it a try. The most popular posts are tied to imagery and rocking the jackets as worn. The forum is certainly more about how the jackets are worn, were worn and as part of a complete range of flying equipment these days. The forum has moved away from when you were here a decade ago.

The Good Wear connection came off as idolatry back then. Good Wear hardly gets a mention here these days in comparison to other makers and their products.

From the outset I predicted and posted about the likely negatives to your emergence, and all I see is more of the same behaviours that got you booted.

Platon offered a lot of robust opinion and is now making probably the best bang for buck jacket on the forum. Perhaps with some restrictions placed on manufacturer posts (Ken included some might say) then he could get a second chance? Many here would love to know what he is thinking for the future of JA Dubow.

Like I said earlier I have 'more than enough of the near enough'. And I am happy with that. I have never demanded anything of anyone here and I would never consider it. I think your persistent demands of Aero are futile and are now mute.

I look forward to seeing your next positive posts with my EYES.

I'd like to straighten out WHY I was kicked off the forum before- it had NOTHING to do with jackets or my "tone"! I got kicked off for how often my posts (and those of other infamous characters) veered off into inappropriate POLITICAL blowholing. I don't know you from that time do I? I don't remember you anyway. As far as I know a FORUM (a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.) has no mandate for only positive views. I care not a whit whether my posts are popular. And I doubt my demands of Aero are mute. Guys like me are why you guys now have a converted Eastman making realistic jackets...

Last edited:

ZuZu

Price is obviously a more important criterion than accuracy in the current A-2 repro market, this is why Good Wear is so hard up for orders.

??? Why would you think GW is hard up for orders? I think he has plenty of orders- doesn't need any more orders. I hope no one thinks I'm here to shill for GW- I just calls 'em as I sees 'em- I like to critique jackets...

Ken at Aero Leather

I have over the years seen and studied many jackets of all types- original, repro, cloth, Navy, AAF-

There is so much more to clothing design than Military garments or copying other's work
Lets go back to The UK in WW2..........Emerging designers Leslie Irvin and Norman Hartnell both working (directly or indirectly) for the WD
Irvin, much fated on here, made one clothing design and his name became "lost" to the majority
Hartnell. on the other hand, worked on The CC41 range, after WW2 he became a famous couturiere...............would't have happened if all he'd done was design a jacket or two for Tommys
Widen your eyes and look beyond that narrow field, could start with Hugo Boss who seemed to cross that great divide :eek:

ZuZu

There is so much more to clothing design than Military garments or copying other's work
Lets go back to The UK in WW2..........Emerging designers Leslie Irvin and Norman Hartnell both working (directly or indirectly) for the WD
Irvin, much fated on here, made one clothing design and his name became "lost" to the majority
Hartnell. on the other hand, worked on The CC41 range, after WW2 he became a famous couturiere...............would't have happened if all he'd done was design a jacket or two for Tommys
Widen your eyes and look beyond that narrow field, could start with Hugo Boss who seemed to cross that great divide :eek:
Thanks for that! Nothing to argue with there. I find the 60s philosophy a good touch. You are an interesting person sir! :)

SuinBruin

??? Why would you think GW is hard up for orders? I think he has plenty of orders- doesn't need any more orders. I hope no one thinks I'm here to shill for GW- I just calls 'em as I sees 'em- I like to critique jackets...
I was joking. John's order backlog is infamous. And I think the fact that GW makes the most accurate repros is beyond meaningful dispute.

Ken at Aero Leather

Thanks for that! Nothing to argue with there. I find the 60s philosophy a good touch. You are an interesting person sir! :)
Here's something I made earlier..........about 50 years earlier :)
Anita-Pallenberg-and-Keith-Richards-1970s.jpg