• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tyger Tyger, burning bright...

Yardstick

In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Having a bit of a run at the moment with flying tigers. I managed to source some through-dyed royal blue lambs hide which looks and feels like goat. It's strong and flexible, has a nice pebbly texture and at 0.8mm is the perfect thickness for the base of multi-piece patches.

First up are a couple of classic 23rd FG patches. The one on the left is part sewn and uses the new royal blue hide, suede side up, with a gold foiled goatskin border and a mixture of pebbly goat and painted, smooth goat used for the detail. The patch on the right is an older version, using custom dyed suede in the base.

Img_0696.jpg

Next are a couple of CATF patches. On the left is an unusual 5 inch patch (WIP) that uses the same tiger as the 23rd FG insignia (economies of scale at work I suspect). This uses the skin side of the royal blue lambs hide. I'm a big fan of both sides of this hide and plan on using it in a number of future patches.

The patch on the right is an interesting one. I found an image of a nicely detailed CATF patch, that I originally assumed was a 3 inch shoulder patch and I scaled it accordingly, even replicating the very small stitching. Having since come across a few more examples of the patch, it transpires it is probably a 5 inch chest patch, so the tiny stitching was actually normal and I have made a 3:5 scale replica of a 5 inch patch :oops: Oh well - that's one of the perils of sourcing images from the net!

Img_0694.jpg

Last edited: