• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two VMF-214 patches - WIP

Yardstick

I'm currently working on a couple of VMF-214 patches - Aussie embroidered and representing the two distinct phases of VMF'-214's early war ops. The first is the 'Swashbucklers' patch which was used for the unit's first tour. This is a big patch (about 6' high when cut to size) and follows the typical thick Aussie embroidered construction. I really enjoyed the lettering on this one but did need 2 goes to get the asymmetry on the skull correct. As I ran out of that particular shade of orange thread, I moved onto the second version while I waited for a new delivery.

The second patch is a the 'Blacksheep' version that most of us are more familiar with. This resulted from the VMF-214 designation transferring to a newly formed squadron after the completion of the original unit's first tour. I have had this on my 'to do list' for ages but needed to do more research as I didn't want to mistakenly use one of the many repros that are out there as my template. Having done the research, it seems there were between 3 to 4 distinct versions of the 'Blacksheep' patch used in WW2 and others for post war / Korean deployments. Thankfully the first of the Blacksheep patches used my favourite Aussie construction (US embroidery was used for the others) and it is also in my opinion the best of the bunch. It's bigger than some of the later versions (5.75' high), incorporates the 214 unit designation that is missing from some of the others and has a unique blue and black border. I believe the picture with my version is a repro (a very good one if I'm correct), as it doesn't look to be Aussie made. I'm using a number of confirmed originals to reference the details but they are too ratty and warped to use for the layout.

Img_0974.jpg

Last edited:

Yardstick

Update: The first pic below shows some progress on the 'Blacksheep' patch. I've completed the 12 stars and the sheep. The sheep in particular is interesting (well at least to me) because across the 4 versions of this particular design there is significant variation. Again this supports my theory that these Aussie made patches, although they are machine made (supported by the evidence of return threads on the reverse), I believe that the embroidery machine was hand steered rather than being automatically controlled. The 2nd pic sets out a few examples of the same design, with the numbering highlighting differences across the 4 patches.

1. Thread direction for the black stripe is lengthways for some, crossways for others.
2. Sheep - face detail in particular is different, left ear white on one version, black on others.
3. Variation in shape of '1'.
4. Some versions have black outlining on the cowl.

As always, I try to reflect a patch that is representative of the better end of the production batch as evidenced by the black sheep, which is particularly wonky in a couple of the examples I've shown.

Img_0979.jpg

Image2.jpg

Yardstick

Update: Made some more progress. Now completed the blue border as well as most of the F4U. I had a couple of judgement calls to make with the Corsair: 1) the wings, these vary materially across the original examples I've posted: from relatively realistic, to short and fat, through to part of the wing being missing (above post - bottom left). Unsurprising I went with the more realistic option; and 2) whether to add black line detail to the cowling and engine. As the thread is quite thick and therefore the borders are well defined I'll leave as is (still need to add the two inner circles).

I've now got the orange thread, so should have the 'Swashbucklers' patch completed soon and only have a little bit of detail on the F4U and black border to finish on this one.

Img_0981.jpg