twelve o'clock high toby jug

Discussion in 'Related Gear' started by dinomartino1, Dec 25, 2018.

1. dinomartino1

dinomartino1 Active Member

I don't know if this been has posted before, a reproduction of the toby jug from the film twelve o'clock, in my opinion not just one of the best war films but one of the best films of all time. It sure looks good if a bit pricey but saying that it is pretty big. Too expensive for me but I would certainly like one.
    The coffee mug size is way more affordable. Have a look at the history link some interesting stuff about the jug.

https://archbury.net

"As I developed a customer base, I realized that sooner or later someone would call me that knew where the original jug went. That call came in about 1998. Randy Baker from the Center for Leadership Studies in Escondido, California called to order some jugs (they use Twelve O’clock High in their curriculum) and in the course of our conversation he mentioned that he had run into a descendant of General Frank Armstrong and that the original movie jug had been an Armstrong family heirloom since 1949. A little research revealed that Armstrong had died in Tampa, Florida on August 20, 1969 so I contacted the Tampa Tribune and had them send me a copy of the obituaries from that day. These articles listed his surviving family members who were ultimately able to lead me to the Jug. Indeed, the original movie Jug had been presented to General Armstrong as a gift from Henry King at the end of filming. Upon General Armstrong’s death, the Jug was bequeathed to his sister, Mrs. I. T. Valentine who cherished and loved her brother’s historic piece. Somehow, in the early 1990s, it mysteriously disappeared from their home and has not been seen since."

Toby-Jug-11-2.jpg

Screen-shot-1-1000x800.jpg

IMG_4735.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    Smithy, seres, Kennyz and 2 others like this.
  2. Flightengineer

Flightengineer Well-Known Member

Nice movie, but too eхpensive for jug replica :)

3. s4rmark

s4rmark Well-Known Member

$25 is not bad for the coffee mug size replica. Would look good in between a couple of model B-17’s

Flightengineer likes this.
  4. Flightengineer

Flightengineer Well-Known Member

I saw $189

5. s4rmark

s4rmark Well-Known Member

That’s the full size Toby jug.

Flightengineer likes this.
  6. dinomartino1

dinomartino1 Active Member

But it does hold a lot of beer.

Stony likes this.
  7. seres

seres Member

When I ordered my jug a few years ago, I was fortunate to talk to Pete about it’s history. The replica is huge, the size of the movie jug. It is hand painted and finished, and no two jugs are exactly alike.

dinomartino1 likes this.
  8. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

I'd love one of those. The price is actually pretty good when you consider that they're hand painted. Just the thing for the man cave.

Showing my time of working for an antique dealer whilst at uni, but it's technically a character jug. A Toby jug is the whole body, a character jug is just a head. Remember that as it's the sort of inane question to come up at the local pub quiz.

B-Man2 likes this.
  9. Kennyz

Kennyz Active Member

This jug is incredibly cool!

Ken

10. Micawber

Micawber Well-Known Member

Sorry but I find them incedibly ugly. Do I have to sit on the naughty step now? :D

11. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

uh, i think that i would prefer a pair of soft jugs, then one hard one for the dough.....but,, thats just me.

Juanito and Micawber like this.
  12. Juanito

Juanito Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^What he said...