• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tuskegee airman Flight jacket, genuine?

T-Bolt

Here is a photo of WWII Mustang pilot Bill Getz wearing his unknown manufacturer 42 18246-P contract. Look at the curve of the pocket flap and the large collar. It looks just like the Tuskegee Airman A-2, in my opinion. :cool: The only thing I am not sure about is that the 18246-P contract has ring snaps......where the Tuskegee jacket appears to have nipple snaps.

IMG_0156.jpg

Ted

Roughwear

I was wondering about this jacket. Judging by the colour of the lining, shape of pockets, snaps and collar points its a Star.

T-Bolt

Andrew,

The factor that make me think it is not a Star is the size and shape of the collar. The collar on the Tuskegee jacket appears to be quite large, like the 18246-P collar is. The Star collar seems to be noticeably smaller to me.

Ted

Roughwear

T-Bolt said:
Andrew,

The factor that make me think it is not a Star is the size and shape of the collar. The collar on the Tuskegee jacket appears to be quite large, like the 18246-P collar is. The Star collar seems to be noticeably smaller to me.

Ted

Hm. You may be right, but the collar on my Star seems to be a similar size. The HH is remarkably similar too. You get to recognise the hides used by different makers after a while!

Roughwear

I have had a close look at the no-name 42-18246-P A2 on the Acmedepot site and the pocket flaps of the jacket more angular than the one on Ebay and the bottom corners are more rounded. It also has ring snaps as on Cable, Poughkeepsie and Aero jackets, whilst the Ebay jacket has nipple snaps. All this strongly says "Star" to me. I wonder what the reserve it?

smoos

Robman said:
Unnamed 18246 or a Star??
Just a guess, but I'd go with 18246, based on the very large collar coupled with what appear to be exceptionally wide shoulders. John Chapman mentioned in a post that the 18246 contract had the widest shoulders and most tapered body of any contract he's seen, and this jacket appears to fit that description.

Roughwear

smoos said:
Robman said:
Unnamed 18246 or a Star??
Just a guess, but I'd go with 18246, based on the very large collar coupled with what appear to be exceptionally wide shoulders. John Chapman mentioned in a post that the 18246 contract had the widest shoulders and most tapered body of any contract he's seen, and this jacket appears to fit that description.

Unless this contractor also used nipple snaps and varied the pocket shape i think it is not the 18246 contract but a Star.

T-Bolt

Andrew.....you might be right about it being a Star. That collar on the Tuskegee A-2 just seems really large.....I am not sure about it.

Ted

Roughwear

T-Bolt said:
Andrew.....you might be right about it being a Star. That collar on the Tuskegee A-2 just seems really large.....I am not sure about it.

Ted

More photos would be helpful. I suspect there was some variation in the size of collars within the same contract, just as there were on other features. I recently posted pics of two contrasting United Sheeplined A2s in my collection and there were differences in the size and shape of the pockets, collar and sleeves despite both being a size 42.

Robman

Looking at it more closely I can see the nipple snaps, making it a Star in my book (99%).
As to the shoulders appearing wide I'll paraphrase the ELC description here with inset sleeves giving it a suit jacket appearance, hence the wide shouldered-look, not the typical shirt design of most wartime A2s.

As to the collar size, there is a photo in the Maguire book "Art of the Flight Jacket" that shows a Star in the first few pages with a very large collar...I believe it was Umbriago noseart???