• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tunneling?

A

Anonymous

Guys,
Pardon my ignorance, but English is not my first language.

What means "tunneling"?
Is it good or bad?
Some photos?

zoomer

Tunneling: cuff knit pushing back up inside the sleeve leather.
The above picture is a good example of it. The "accordion" sleeve is usually seen along with it.
It is not considered an authentic WW2 look by collectors today. It can also be uncomfortable to some wearers.
If the waistband pushes back up inside the jacket body, this is known as blousing. It is not considered so undesirable.

A

Anonymous

Please let us see an good example of a sleeve without tunneling.

zoomer

2426156900_4352337ea7.jpg

Note sleeve hangs smoothly and cuff doesn't push inside.

better duck

ELC Werber when brand new, just out of the box, with cuffs tunneling into the sleeve:
IMG_2460.jpg

And the same jacket some 10 months later: no tunneling at the cuffs:
IMG_2295A.jpg

A

Anonymous

How is it possible for the tunneling to disappear after 10 months?
Where did it go?

greyhound52

PLATON said:
Where did it go?

It is posssible that as the jacket breaks in the tunneling will go also as on Peter's jacket. But sometimes if the arms are too long as it was on one of my jackets it never goes away. So I had the arm length shorten to eliminate the tunneling.

Clark J

Try wetting the leather real good and scrunch them up on a PVC plastic tube(the size of your arm) so they will accordion up and that will make them shorter...I think Paddy M was one of the first to do this..it does work.

better duck

PLATON said:
Where did it go?

a) loosening of the cuffs themselves: they were very tight around the wrist at first, now they have relaxed some;
B) look at the increased creasing of the sleeves: that shortens the sleeves just a little bit.

Cliff

My Goodwear Aero suffered from tunneling at first but now the sleeves have creased up through wear and have effectively become shorter the tunneling has disappeared.

rgds

Cliff

Cliff

:eek: :eek: Good god !!! I am surprised he wore it outside of his tent !!!! :lol: :lol:

Actually that's a nice picture .

rgds

Cliff

Chandler

Anyone got a guess on the manufacturer of that one? If it's a Star, it would make
me, my short arms, and my ELC feel a lot better! :)

Hmm, it also seems to have offset pockets - reverse of the usual Dubow.

Chandler

tgd31968

PLATON said:
320thbgorg.jpg

What is this?
Tunneling on an original?
A crime?

Comments?

Because we all know that every jacket was custom taylor fit, and no one could possibly have had an ill fitting jacket. absolutly no chance of a jacket being too baggy, or sleeves being too long or short in 10's or even 100's of thousands of jackets issued.