• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trusted Sellers

ausreenactor

As far as I can tell , he hasn’t posted on this forum since July of 2021. It is alleged that there are at least two people on this forum who have paid for jackets and have not received them.
E Caveat Emptor!
He is stuck in a vortex with Heisenberg, 'not shipping' jackets that will 'not arrive' .

Smithy

He is stuck in a vortex with Heisenberg, 'not shipping' jackets that will 'not arrive' .

What makes it even worse with Jay/Headwind is that if you go and view his member page on Ebay he's buying things on there willy-nilly (18 purchases in the last month). So he's got enough money to splash out on things but doesn't consider refunding Cabbie's money as important as buying stuff on Ebay for himself.

johnwayne

Some sound advice from a great bunch of people here and of course to add is budget! Once that’s fixed if you cant personally try before you buy then the measurements that has been touched on, are vital for a good fit but even then you might hit a bump or two in the road ‘till you find the right jacket for you. We all have our fav style/type of flight jacket but a good scan of this generally happy friendly site should get you up and running! Beware however, if the bug bites your wallet might get tested!!

Smithy

It is really a shame about Jay because the quality of his jackets was pretty decent. I bought two very inexpensive sale jackets and the Goldsmith. But every time I wear the Goldsmith, I think about London Cabbie. . . .

It is a shame and especially how many members here went into bat for him and try and help him develop and grow. After what he did to Burt there were warning signs aplenty and now that he's ripped off several others (including Cabbie) the writing is on the wall for the type of person/businessman he is. He's had Cabbie's money for 2 and a half years now and no sign of a jacket, refund and apparently he won't answer his emails. He's obviously got enough money to buy shit on Ebay which begs the question why he hasn't refunded Cabbie.

Smithy

If diamond clothing co starts to make jackets again.. I would strongly advice to look the other way and keep walking. That guy has had my money for nearly two years now. No jacket and no replies to any of my messages.

Please elaborate: when you ordered; how; what communications you made; etc.

This is a surprisingly small niche market so any wrongdoing is very good to know. Saying that if you make accusations you need to back them up.

If we do have another maker who has been diddling customers that is very sad but something that needs to be known so others don't fall into the same trap.

But as I said you need to back up any accusation of being ripped off with evidence of such.

ausreenactor

This is a surprisingly small niche market so any wrongdoing is very good to know. Saying that if you make accusations you need to back them up.

If we do have another maker who has been diddling customers that is very sad but something that needs to be known so others don't fall into the same trap.

But as I said you need to back up any accusation of being ripped off with evidence of such.
The details will certainly emerge. Pretty surprising..... fetching popcorn.

Naamavika

I understand. I will write more detailed version of this after i finish work today. English is not my native tongue so i need a little more time to "build this up". Plus the frustration about this is something else.. but today. Ill get back to you.

Brettafett

Hey Dan, adding the above... below are some trusted sources for new jacket reproductions.
You can sometimes find decent jackets on Ebay, but you have to tread carefully.
If you are keen, its better to learn a bit more and narrow down what you really are after.

You can also join The Fedora Lounge (generally more civilian style orientated, but often some flight jackets), they also have a Classifieds section.

High end - Expensive, highly detailed, authentic to originals as can be
https://www.eastmanleather.com (In the USA - https://www.historypreservation.com/products-page/eastman-leather-brands/)
For USN Navy flight jackets - @Maverickson / aka Dave Sheeley on this forum, also on Ebay.
https://jadubowmfg.com/a-2-jackets/ (best higher end A-2 repro for the price! No customisations)
https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com

Mid Range/ more budget conscious, but still good quality, decent detailing and in some cases copied off originals.

https://www.avileather.com (fantastic budget flight jackets, all copied off original jackets in their collection)
Five Star - I think they have an Ebay shop or Shawn Ali on this forum @Shawn Ali

https://cockpitusa.com (great jackets, well-made, quality, but NOT based on original patterns)

There are more, but the above covers the better makers.
Other companies offer more 'bomber jacket' types, which are generic, more modern patterns. Often quite far removed from authentic , period issued flight jackets...

Best,

Last edited:

Naamavika

Here is what happened..
I emailed Dave in January 2020 about making me a jacket. He asked for my measurements and we discussed about the jacket in general (size, hardware etc.)
I paid him in February 13th 2020 (paypal). He told me that the jacket takes about a month to make.
In March I asked him if the covid will affect my order. He replied in April and told me that he is currently sewing masks.. quote: "Your leather is here, and your jacket is first in the queue when the world retains some normalcy, rest assured."
After that I have sent numerous emails but there was no response. Since May 2021 my emails could not be delivered to him anymore. So i tried social media platforms but no response.

johnwayne

Diamond Dave used to be on this forum so fingers crossed he might see this thread! He was also in collaboration at one point with John Chapman at Goodwear which might be a route in - its a shame because to me at least he came over as a decent guy but do you not have any redress with PayPal?

foster

DD's website went down sometime in late 2020, and if there was an e-mail associated with that web domain, it would not work from that point.

I ordered my last jacket from DD in February 2021, but after several months he told me he will not be able to make it.