Trench art aeroplane made from a cartridge with pieces of aluminium for the wings and tail.
Sapper Cecil George Blunt AIF
Westren front c.1916-19
Model of a German Fokker aircraft made from a cartridge case and other scraps of metal. German cross. The wheels move independently of the frame and the propeller is missing.
Made by Sergeant Cyril Lawrence he enlisted in 1914 as a sapper with 5 Field Company Engineers. He served on Gallipoli with 2 Field Coy Engineers and was promoted to Sergeant. After the evacuation, Lawrence was sent to the Western Front and served with 1 Division Engineers. By 1917 he had been promoted to Lieutenant and was serving with 1 Field Company Engineers. He received the Military Cross for his participation in operations along the Menin Road near Ypres in September of that year. He was also recommended for the Military Cross for an operation in October 1917.
Trench art model of a German Taube .. The base is made from an 18 pounder shrapnel fuze. Attached to the top of the fuze is a German small arms cartridge.. The aircraft fuselage is constructed from small arms cartridges; the swept back wings and tail, with the their distinctive scalloped trailing edges, from steel cut from a waterbottle, as is the tail skid. The aircraft nose is also constructed from steel but the four bladed propeller is made from copper. Copper pins attached to the tail and front fuselage section, together with holes drilled in the wings and tail, indicate that this model was once rigged with fine wire, but this is now missing. The Taube has a fixed undercarriage constructed from copper and steel.
This impression of a German Taube was produced on the Somme in January 1917. It stands on a base made from an 18-pounder shrapnel fuze picked up at Gueudecourt. The standard is a German catridge found in Delville Wood and the fuselage is made of French and German cartridges. The wings and tail have been cut from a German water-bottle found at Flers, while the propeller is a piece of the lining of a cordite charge box from a 6-inch howitzer battery near Waterlot Farm.'
Made by Sapper Stanley Keith Pearl, 5 Field Company Engineers, AIF.
Model biplane made from brass (wings, tail, forward fuselage, engine, wheels and struts) and copper (propellor, tyres and axle and rear fuselage). The fuselage is realised from a .303 cartridge with a copper bullet, with a small cockpit cut-out. The remaining items have been shaped from brass and copper recovered from a German 77 mm shell case. The propellor rotates.
Made by Driver Clarence Stanmore Barton, AIF. Barton served with 1 Field Artillery Brigade as a driver for 1 Divisional Column.
Barton collected the materials to make this plane during his service on the Western Front. The German brass 77 mm shell case and its copper driving band were collected in front of Zillebeke, Menin Road on 30 July 1917. By early the following year Barton had completed the plane and took it with him when he embarked for England on leave on 22 February 1918.
Maker Shelley China
Place made United Kingdom
Date made 1914-1918
Lieutenant H F Slocombe, AIF
He served on the Western Front and as a warrant officer in 1917, was awarded a Military Cross for his actions in Belgium. He returned to Australia on 9 December 1918. During the Second World War he enlisted in the army again, falisfying his age by ten years.