• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Topic for Conversation : Why are members leaving VLJ?

Monsoon

I have zero interest in vintage jackets; weird that I'm here.

My interests have always been in the repros; jackets I can wear without damaging them.

I usually check out VLJ in the jacket season. I'm not too interested in them when it's hot and humid.

And as others have said, the cost of repros has skyrocketed and that really limits the fun. I have (like others) taken an interest in the Bronson line of jackets, and still waiting for some big Dongs to come out of China. o_O

Southoftheborder

The first couple of versions of Chris's forum was an antiquated poor layout called 'The 20th Century Forum'..or something like that ( been so long ) which included all kinds of vintage 'style' jackets and discussions. I think this is also the third VLJ version beginning in 2008 with a much better format which then veered into military domination. I belong to both the VLJ and the FL. This is a leather military jacket forum most exclusively which has dwindled and the other has a much more active utility or civi leather jacket section separate from the fedora and vintage clothing wear sections. Some FL members have tried posting here about their interests in leather civi jackets but were not welcomed and in some cases discouraged at the time. I would think that the best of both worlds would be a forum that happily included both interests. I actually know of none that exist...

I don't think posts about utility jackets would be discouraged now and I for one would like to see more of them. It isn't called the military or A-2 jacket forum and I don't think there are so many keyboard warriors here now. There are plenty of keyboard warriors and cliques on the hat forum too BTW. I stopped posting there a few years ago now.

MikeyB-17

I have plenty of interest in vintage jackets. Am I going to buy any WWII originals? No. But I might buy a cheap A-2 deck jacket, or if I’m lucky I live in hope of finding another 60’s G-1 cheap. I have plenty of interest in repro jackets. Am I going to buy any top-end repros? Unlikely, but I just bought a fantastic Avirex for £50, and I’m interested in Bronsons and Dongs (Oo-er Missus!). I have plenty of interest in civilian and motorcycle jackets. Am I going to buy any ELC Roadstars or other big money jackets like that? I doubt it, but I love my old Schott Perfecto, and I have a wardrobe full of great civvy jackets bought for very little money. And I’m still here and not going anywhere. You don’t have to spend a fortune to be into this stuff. At least, I don’t. I like to see pics of originals people have obtained, nice repros and civvy jackets. I‘m unlikely to buy any myself, but I don’t plan on leaving because of that. However I can see why others may think differently.

Smithy

Well said Mikey.

This place is very good now. There was a lot of nonsense a few years after I first joined which meant my posting was fairly erratic but VLJ now has a good feel and a good bunch of guys.

The worst thing that could happen is if this turned into the Hat Place 2.0. I left there a few years ago as it had become an absolute joke. An utterly ghastly place with more cliques than a changing room for a girls netball team.

Vcruiser

What good does it do to still take hits at the Fedora lounge? Do you really not want any of those members interested in civi jackets posting over here with a fear that the VLJ might become the 'Hat Place 2.0"? That kind of disdain certainly comes across as very unwelcoming just as days of old here. I see the cliques over there but don't let any of that BS dissuade me from posting there or silencing me, just as I didn't here. It seems that mindset wants this place to remain the same rather than any 'dark evil enemy' coming on board. If I hadn't been around here for years and friends with Moderators and some members here, I would have no desire to post here after reading that negative opinion. Just as here, there are good friendly guy's on the FL who are interested in leather jackets and have nice collections and those who are still trading and accumulating jackets posting various photos. Anyone can be an ass. That's what BFrench and JLever are here for and actually the membership as well. This forum was once mainly membership moderated until unwelcoming member asses made Chris realize that actual Moderators were unfortunately needed. If you have any consideration that the VLJ would be more interesting, active and well rounded with both civi, military and repro leather jackets then you can't keep running those contributors off no matter where they come from.

Southoftheborder

Well said Mikey.

This place is very good now. There was a lot of nonsense a few years after I first joined which meant my posting was fairly erratic but VLJ now has a good feel and a good bunch of guys.

The worst thing that could happen is if this turned into the Hat Place 2.0. I left there a few years ago as it had become an absolute joke. An utterly ghastly place with more cliques than a changing room for a girls netball team.

You obviously know more about girl's netball changing rooms than me.... But you're right about the cliques and unpleasantness on the FL. It's of a different order to this site. A few years ago Platon I think it was, was bullied off by one member cheered on by the others holding his coat. He was opinionated and didn't help himself with his attitude but he did know his leather and he should not have been subjected to that. And in the end it was him who got banned.

I think you've got to go some to get banned here. But at the hat place plenty of people who just had opinions unpopular with the rest were.

Smithy

What good does it do to still take hits at the Fedora lounge? Do you really not want any of those members interested in civi jackets posting over here with a fear that the VLJ might become the 'Hat Place 2.0"? That kind of disdain certainly comes across as very unwelcoming just as days of old here. I see the cliques over there but don't let any of that BS dissuade me from posting there or silencing me, just as I didn't here. It seems that mindset wants this place to remain the same rather than any 'dark evil enemy' coming on board. If I hadn't been around here for years and friends with Moderators and some members here, I would have no desire to post here after reading that negative opinion. Just as here, there are good friendly guy's on the FL who are interested in leather jackets and have nice collections and those who are still trading and accumulating jackets posting various photos. Anyone can be an ass. That's what BFrench and JLever are here for and actually the membership as well. This forum was once mainly membership moderated until unwelcoming member asses made Chris realize that actual Moderators were unfortunately needed. If you have any consideration that the VLJ would be more interesting, active and well rounded with both civi, military and repro leather jackets then you can't keep running those contributors off no matter where they come from.

Actually mate I'm entirely entitled to dislike the Hat joint and what it has become. I'm also allowed to voice that opinion here without having to justify it to you. It's that kind of attitude which has turned the Fedora Lodge into a catty, clique-ridden place where self styled illuminati stuff their opinions and tastes down other people's throats. That's MY opinion and the reason why I left the place. But why on earth do you care what I think about another forum? What does it matter what some complete stranger on a discussion board thinks of another discussion board? I don't know you from a bar of soap which is probably exactly how much you know me. And you're concerned by my opinion of a forum that I'm no longer active on and you are. Get a grip.

And BTW where did I say anything about "not want(ing) any of those members interested in civi jackets posting over here with a fear that the VLJ might become the 'Hat Place 2.0". I personally couldn't care less if people are interested in them and post them here. Thomas posted a very nice HB a wee while back. Nobody including myself gave him any grief about it whatsoever. I have a Barnstormer which I rave about and post on here often. You've obviously got some kind of persecution complex going on about civilian jackets, which I have to tell you is probably entirely misplaced.

It seems like you've got a bee in your bonnet - that whole civi jacket thing really proves it. Yes you've no doubt been a member here longer than anyone else but you haven't been around here much over the last couple of years because your comments run contrary to what this place has been about recently.

Southoftheborder

To be fair to Smithy I don't think he was trying to be unwelcoming to anyone. The FL site is fairly all embracing and many members there don't have an interest in the outerwear forum where jackets get discussed at all. I suspect he just doesn't want the kind of conformity that seemed to be expected on that forum; and the ganging up on unpopular opinions that happened there by a minority who ruined it for the rest.

Smithy

To be fair to Smithy I don't think he was trying to be unwelcoming to anyone. The FL site is fairly all embracing and many members there don't have an interest in the outerwear forum where jackets get discussed at all. I suspect he just doesn't want the kind of conformity that seemed to be expected on that forum; and the ganging up on unpopular opinions that happened there by a minority who ruined it for the rest.

Thanks, at least someone gets it!

Happy Hooligan

Don't get me started on the FL. I've been a member here forever (since yahoo at least) and I come and go as my interests and life allow me. This loss of members is just a natural ebb and flow of the internet and life. It is a shame though that some members of forums (see first sentence) can gang up on and ruin the experience of being a member, especially if you have a true interest, knowledge and passion for the topic.

Vcruiser

Well if my comments run contrary to what this place is all about now..then you da man Smithy. Excuse me for interjecting my opinion and dismay at how your attitude may affect some who might read your post and interpret it the way I did. With that said..I'm outta here. I don't care to battle with a bar of soap or take your belittling. Since the whole civi jacket thing proves that I am trouble, then this place can stay the same and I don't care to be a part of it.

Smithy

Ah so you want to inject your opinion but don't like it when others give theirs.

The fact that you're also still blithering on about this ridiculous delusion of yours that everybody here is out to hate civi jackets probably proves that you're doing the right thing.

Stony

And as others have said, the cost of repros has skyrocketed and that really limits the fun.

I have only had 2 repros in my life, both of which I sold years ago.

I have always liked originals better, and with what was said about the price of repros these days, I can get an original WWII navy jacket for a third or half of that. Originals also look better IMO because they are definitely already broken in and have natural patina that a repro won't have for sometimes decades.

However, I am on the list for my third repro that I think is going to be the bees knees.

Bombing IP

People come and go as interests shift or the phase of contents on the forum become boring to them . I for one see a big shift in the topics from ten years ago to now .But having said that when I first got into A2 types I knew nothing about the different makers nor could I tell one from the other .Then came along the internet no longer was the book Hell Bent for Leather the Bible on the subject ( really a terrible book ) . Many people came together and the knowledge came together with access to all in one place ,before there was very little out there on the subject . I have to thank VLJ for that and the information that was centralized in one place with very knowledgeable members it certainly upped my game . My first A2 was a size 42 Monarch which I bought in London privately , it has a bullion 8th Airforce roundel and had majors oak leafs on the epaulettes and the name tag read E.H. Kaeppell .It fitted me and I wore it when I first came to America but sold it as it became to small had it for about 5 years . I have been only interested in repro Type A2 since then because I feel they are cleaner and the threads are not going to bust out because of age + the repro's are cheaper . Well things have changed the repr'o has become more costly than original and who wants to shell out and justify the cost to our other halves . Enough has been said about this already the costs etc etc and why do we have so many jackets that look the same . I still belong to the forum because I find 5 Star project to be very interesting and will buy some of the horse hide A2s coming soon and also some of our members put up some fine jacket in the for sale column . The forum has at the moment some very good postings from some fine contributors . There are one or two members who like to go out of there way to be negative one of them has gone and taken his pompous attitude with him ,and yes I bit back on occasion at them .But in general the forum has a good cross section with 99.9% good guys who want to further the cause and many of them share their other interests . I see the future where the jackets shown will be repro's of a high caliber made in China and Pakistan where the cost is that similar to WW2 jacket being made . Remember it took about an hour to make an A2 for the Army not perfect or matched but able to do the job . A mass produced jacket made in the East will no doubt fill the void between zero dollar option to $1500 repr'o . In short I want a jacket that I can age beautifully with out having to have a Lo-jack on it because it is so valuable . This option will up the membership as it will give others a chance to own and enjoy a Type A2 jacket or a couple of them .
I have never seen any negativity towards Civy jackets or any other types of jacket on the forum ,what I do see is a small percentage of the members posting all the content .The forum is open to all members so to the silent ones out there lets make it more interesting lets hear what you have to say !. In the main I would say that jacket prices affect the membership and the silly raises being given by the companies we work for we have fallen behind just keeping up with the necessities in life let alone leather jackets ownership . I mean who looks at things we cannot afford !

Last edited:

jeremiah

If 10 years ago the same topics of conversation were still being covered now, I doubt this place would still be active. No one can rehash the same stuff over and over without going insane.

I see this comes up quite a bit in this topic so just saying.

Stony

I don't wear original A-2s per what was said above, they have a good chance of coming apart at the seams.

That's why I like wearing original navy jackets as goatskin is so much more pliable and have the bi-swing back. Navy jackets are also a lot more plentiful.

Bombing IP

If 10 years ago the same topics of conversation were still being covered now, I doubt this place would still be active. No one can rehash the same stuff over and over without going insane.

I see this comes up quite a bit in this topic so just saying.

That"s not the thrust of my point , my point was meant to state we have evolved into a very knowledgeable group . Most probably exceeding the knowledge base of many military museums . As a group we can spot fakes posted on the internet identify makers without seeing the labels . EVOLVED my friend .

BIP

Ken at Aero Leather

You obviously know more about girl's netball changing rooms than me.... But you're right about the cliques and unpleasantness on the FL. It's of a different order to this site. A few years ago Platon I think it was, was bullied off by one member cheered on by the others holding his coat. He was opinionated and didn't help himself with his attitude but he did know his leather and he should not have been subjected to that. And in the end it was him who got banned.

I think you've got to go some to get banned here. But at the hat place plenty of people who just had opinions unpopular with the rest were.

I may be wrong but I thought Platon was banned friom VLJ too,? Please correct me if I'm wrong

Personal angle on the FL/VLJ "Wars"? They are very juvenile and calling FL, "The Hat Place" doesn't do the poster any favours and I can't recall any reciprocal posts on FL, again, correct mer if I'm wrong

And.......No, I've never been a member of FL, I was one of the founder members of The Classic 20th Century Forum, Idon't recall any negativity towards other forums.
Turn the other cheek