• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Topic for Conversation : Why are members leaving VLJ?

B-Man2

Is it just my perception or do we seem to be losing members at a rapid pace?
Is there anything we can do differently to stem this trend?

Brettafett

Not sure if people are 'leaving'... People may just be busy... I go through periods where I can't post or even read anything...
That said... Being polite and altruistic never hurt. We all have these interests in common and can learn a lot from one another.

CBI

Yep, in all due respect, most members with really significant knowledge of jackets are gone from here. Agreed that there are people here currently with excellent knowledge but not like before.

The fact that quality repro jackets have priced most of us out of the market doesn't help.

For many, only ONE nice jacket is all that is affordable so there is limited long term interest.

Forums can have odd dynamics especially since we can hide behind our forum names!

Overall, I have found the jacket enthusiasts to be guys with big egos. Many nice people but just enough to be annoyed enough to now stay away.

Back to the hight priced repros, as a result, cheap mostly crappy to "OK" repros get discussed here.......with the crazy high end prices, it makes sense.

Feel like the forum name should be changed to "Cheap Vintage Leather Jacket Repros" but I get it, we CANT afford the good stuff anymore.

The list goes on. I think a number of people including myself have just lost interest and when we do check in, the number of posts that go south care of inflated egos just make it un-interesting.

VERY knowledgeable forum members have been slapped around enough by people with no clue that they, the knowledgable just say to hell with it.

For me, if this forum did not have the buy and sell posts, I would never even check in. I think I have been a member for at least 12 years.

There are cool posts as well and good things.

B-Man2

Yep, in all due respect, most members with really significant knowledge of jackets are gone from here. Agreed that there are people here currently with excellent knowledge but not like before.

The fact that quality repro jackets have priced most of us out of the market doesn't help.

For many, only ONE nice jacket is all that is affordable so there is limited long term interest.

Forums can have odd dynamics especially since we can hide behind our forum names!

Overall, I have found the jacket enthusiasts to be guys with big egos. Many nice people but just enough to be annoyed enough to now stay away.

Back to the hight priced repros, as a result, cheap mostly crappy to "OK" repros get discussed here.......with the crazy high end prices, it makes sense.

Feel like the forum name should be changed to "Cheap Vintage Leather Jacket Repros" but I get it, we CANT afford the good stuff anymore.

The list goes on. I think a number of people including myself have just lost interest and when we do check in, the number of posts that go south care of inflated egos just make it un-interesting.

VERY knowledgeable forum members have been slapped around enough by people with no clue that they, the knowledgable just say to hell with it.

For me, if this forum did not have the buy and sell posts, I would never even check in. I think I have been a member for at least 12 years.

There are cool posts as well and good things.
John
I think you’re spot on in much of what you say, but there are some dynamics at work here that are out of our control . Specifically the price of these high end repros. They are pricing many out of the market and if you can’t afford the cost, why concern yourself with a forum that you can’t relate to or contribute to? There has definitely been a drastic reduction in the “Vintage” section for the same reason. The cost for originals is also over the top for many of us. This also is a “Catch 22 “ situation, because a few here have some really nice originals, however speaking for myself, after posting a few I feel like the “Hey look at me , look what I have,” guy, and the ego thing you described sometimes become an unintended consequence of trying to share photos and knowledge with others. So what’s the answer ? Once again as you aptly stated, we have slowly become the “Cheap Vintage Leather Forum” however, without reverting to that model or format would we still have a forum today? I agree that for most of the current posting the term “Vintage” has been relegated to an occasional original A2 or most recently drop by’s who post a photo of an old jacket they recently acquired at a flea market. So once again what do we do to keep the forum alive and retain our members and if we do nothing , how much longer can we last?

tibor

1. Members need to stop looking for a fight or acting like site bouncers. If you don’t like a new member’s post, be polite or ignore it. Let people with more patience step in.

2. The price stuff is bs; the place is called “Vintage Leather Jackets” and their prices haven’t gone up much. The repro market has, but there are a lot of of variations still. Aero has some nice new stuff at decent prices and Eastman and GW are always appreciated when somebody saves up and gets one, or picked up one second-hand. I love seeing the second hand stuff and how they’ve aged.

3. I don’t have the time to keep up with pissing matches that have driven people out. I do miss a lot of the knowledgeable jacket people that have left as I don’t do Youbook or Facetube and don’t plan to. I wish they’d come back but I can’t blame them if they don’t if they’re just going to have somebody pick a fight. Who needs that...

I like the posts about events, photos from air shows I can’t get to, re-enactment work, etc. I enjoy hearing what’s new at the different repro makers, there’s still a lot of good. People just have to stop being so prickly. Our job is to enjoy the hobby, not defend it.

Smithy

When I joined back in 2008 there was a LOT of original jackets being bought, photos posted of and obviously discussion about them. As has been mentioned the big determining factor that has evolved since I joined are prices. Not just originals but the high end repros and the prices for them have skyrocketed. As CBI points out most members either don't have the disposable income or can't justify the prices to buy jackets willy-nilly now. Hence the market/hobby and consequently website has changed over time. There's a move of interest with some members for cheaper options which, as has also been mentioned, isn't surprising.

But there is for many of us here I think an aligned interest in the history of the men and units that wore these jackets and that's a great thing from my perspective. For me personally my interest in flying jackets and kit comes firstly from an interest in the history, the flying jacket interest is just an expression of that interest, so I'm fine with discussions regarding the history behind these objects.

One thing I will say in relation to people leaving is there does seem to have been an increase in rudeness and obnoxious behaviour from the odd suspect. I took a month or two off last year because of this but realised after receiving some lovely emails and messages that there's more good people on here than arseholes. I put the one or two halfwits on ignore and since then the place has been like a breath of fresh air. To anyone who has a problem with an obnoxious member I'd recommend it, as it's literally as if they don't exist, you don't see anything from them and as a result you end up completely forgetting about them. Well worth trying first if anyone is thinking of leaving because they're having trouble with someone here.

jeremiah

I will say this. I really like this place. Got to know a great person a little better because of it.
I know I can bee an ass sometimes and stubborn but I am passionate about A2s.
I hope to own an original one someday. Just can’t seem to find the right combo. One that is in decent shape as well as in my size. I would wear it. Not just hang it up.

Micawber

I told you to change your socks!

But over recent years I've grown very attached to them! :D

Many if not all forums are suffering. So called social media such as Facebook have drawn large numbers away from the more traditional discussion forums in much the same way as as forums themselves drew the audiences away from the newsgroups in the '90's. I have moderated and / or administered a number of largish forums for years [nothing to do with jackets I might add]. Their popularity and levels of activity / traffic has always peaked at times when controversial or newsworthy discussions appear. That aside, general traffic levels have been tailing off for a number of years, and dramatically for the past few as people migrate and set up there own empires and social circles and followers on Facebook etc.

I will say this about VLJ. Yes I've dipped in and out over time, while the experts were just that, some were pleasant enough while others had ego issues and a rather unpleasant demeanour. I have little patience for that.

[Edited for typos and appalling grammar].

Last edited:

stanier

I’m not sure who we’ve lost?

I know weve gained some great guys and knowledge over the last year or so, and a real friendly atmosphere.

So for me, I’m not sure what this is about?

Carl

Care to expand upon that statement ?
I feel as though since my arrival and altercation with a so called VERY knowledgable member , that alot of this is directed my way ( but i dont know if i should or not ?)

If it is then please feel free to say so

Thanks
Carl

B-Man2

I feel as though since my arrival and altercation with a so called VERY knowledgable member , that alot of this is directed my way ( but i dont know if i should or not ?)

If it is then please feel free to say so

Thanks
Carl
Carl
I can assure you this was not directed at you or any other member if this forum. This is an observation on my part and has nothing to do with any prior events or altercations.

Smithy

Carl, I honestly don't have the foggiest who you've had a ding-dong with on here but perhaps it's a tad paranoid to automatically think that that pretty general comment by CBI specifically relates to you. There's a lot of members on here and you might be doing the age old thing on the internet of thinking that everybody's comments are directed specifically at you when he's actually referring to somebody else entirely.

Carl

Carl
I can assure you this was not directed at you or any other member if this forum. This is an observation on my part and has nothing to do with any prior events or altercations.
Sorry , just got a bit paranoid ! :(

Carl

Carl, I honestly don't have the foggiest who you've had a ding-dong with on here but perhaps it's a tad paranoid to automatically think that that pretty general comment by CBI specifically relates to you. There's a lot of members on here and you might be doing the age old thing on the internet of thinking that everybody's comments are directed specifically at you when he's actually referring to somebody else entirely.
Yeah , my mind was running away with me , apologies to all :oops:

B-Man2

I’m not sure who we’ve lost?

I know weve gained some great guys and knowledge over the last year or so, and a real friendly atmosphere.

So for me, I’m not sure what this is about?
Hi Stanier
In the last year we ve lost at least 5 or more prior members who immediately come to mind . Some guys have quit posting all together some on rare occasions. I’m sure if we started to list people we could each name one or two who have dropped off the screen.