• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top Gun Pete "Maverick"'s (Tom Cruise) Bomber Jacket auction

Brettafett

I can't recall if this was posted or not, but do recall lots of conversations about it. Seems there were multiple jackets.
They couldn't find the original!?! Lol

This jacket, which features a different arrangement of patches than seen on Maverick's main bomber, was provided to Cruise when the original could not be located during late reshoots of the elevator scene between Maverick and Charlie (Kelly McGillis). Its unique patchwork, including the "Anytime, Baby...!" and Fighting-33 emblems on the right side, photo-matches to a black-and-white behind-the-scenes photograph taken from that period.

This brown silk-lined, black leather U.S. Navy G1 intermediate flight jacket (size 44) was made by Split-S Aviation under B.U.N. order number "43-1776". It features a brown synthetic fur collar, a brown elastic hem and cuffs, a brass-colour metal zipper, pocket snaps, and 24 colourful Navy, Pacfic Fleet Adversary, Tactical Wings Atlantic, and other patches embroidered throughout the chest, upper arms, and back. The jacket is in excellent overall condition with minor cracking and worn elastic from age.

MauldinFan

Movie prop/costume collectors speak of "screen matched" wherein you try to prove the item matches the one on the screen (usually with very small details, made easier in an era of high-def video).
The elevator scene is well known as being shot long after the film wrapped, so as to build tension between Mav and Charlie. Cruise had a totally different haircut and color at that point, as he was either getting ready to shoot, "The Color of Money" or already involved. McGillis had the same issue, which is why she is wearing a cap in the scene.
Most (if not all) the props and costumes were in the wind by then.
The big problem about all this is that THERE ISN'T A G-1 IN THIS SCENE!
Perhaps there was going to be a jacket used? But it's clearly not in the finished film!

ZuZu

He is SWIMMING in that 44. He's a kajillionaire but at least we can make fun of his shame of his own stature:p

$ tc.JPG

Happy Hooligan

so it's a film jacket that never made it in the film. I should should you my almost autographed movie star pictures that I'll be selling at auction.

Richard W.

Haven’t watched the movie since I saw it in the movie theater, and I don’t recall noticing some of the bizarre patches.

There’s one for the battleship New Jersey? LOL