• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toning down a B-3?

Heisenberg

There is a difference between patching up a jacket and what has been done to this jacket. The basic character or the DNA of what was once a B-3 has been irreversibly altered. This jacket is no longer a B-3.
Welcome to the Forum Snackson. You are making a splash.

there is a horror museum with patch jackets ...

MikeyB-17

On the subject of Patton’s B-3, I reckon it’s definitely been customised-he’s got epaulettes which of course no normal B-3 had.
I also had horrible visions of the John being referred to being John Chapman, which would have been a crime indeed, but I think Mr Lever is in fact the John in question.
Again, it’s an awful shame, not a thing I would dream of doing, but it’s Snackson’s B-3, and yeah, there are more important things going on than a chap hacking up a jacket.

Heisenberg

Patton was not only wearing a B-3 ... look at this rare picture :

FDFA1A7B-CE8D-48E8-AC6E-8593B91E6FAE.png

stanier

There is a difference between patching up a jacket and what has been done to this jacket. The basic character or the DNA of what was once a B-3 has been irreversibly altered. This jacket is no longer a B-3.
Welcome to the Forum Snackson. You are making a splash.

Yep, making a splash indeed! Just like an elephant off the high diving board into the Olympic sized swimming pool...

stanier

I did go back and have another look at it just now, and opened my eyes slowly, very slowly but even so, I don't know whether to piss myself laughing or crying! All that comes to mind is
giphy (1).gif

busdrivermike

“wearing them always makes me feel like I am sticking out like a sore thumb, they are really quite conspicuous”

That’s the best part, I love the looks, the questions I get when I stroll into a public place, I’ve actually had several
People (5 or 6)this year stop me to ask about it, I probably should contact noble house for a discount on my next jacket
After giving out the website info and letting them photograph the label.
I’m not a purest where customization is concerned, your jacket is your your jacket and customizing a leather jacket is as
Old as leather jackets are, personally I don’t understand your choice the as I love being conspicuous.

Last edited:

mulceber

As my dear departed grandmother use to always tell me, "It's his cow and he can f**k it however he wants to."

Big church goer, Grandma.

NAILED IT! :p Seriously though, I agree with most people here, and I cringe when I look at it. The B-3 collar is one of its selling points. If you don’t like the collar, get a B-6. But yeah, his cow...

Greg Gale

Well, if he was in WWII and he'd do the same to his jacket, then it would resurface here 70 years later we'd be excited to see such a field mod.

This being said, I would not do this to a cheap repro, let alone a vintage one. A B3 is a B3, many people would love to have one. If it's not exactly what you're after why not buy something different, instead of getting a decent B3 out of the game forever?

Heisenberg

Maarten, is ok let's not be too harsh. I am upset but after all it is his jacket.
Please stick around Maarten.

this is a beginner's mistake ... I even made some with bad choices of depart ...
when i started the dinky toys collection, i made a lot of mistakes but it allowed me to end up with a collection among the most beautiful in belgium ...
this was the case here with “depart” jackets
I am sure that Maarten will not repeat the same error

stanier

I wonder how much it would cost to have properly repaired? Not that I'm sure it could be. Maybe get the shoulder tabs refitted and replacement collar. But likely the clearly lovely fleece would be hard to match and then there's the shaving of the edges. The cost would be well on the way to a new jacket.

If ever there was someone who should have bought a cheap D-1, or just another sheepskin jacket, any other jacket then this has to be that person.

Yep, a nights sleep and I'm still gobsmacked.

Heisenberg

Maybe... it feels analgous to someone buying an expensive luxury car, Ferrari, Lamborghini or whatever and then drilling a hole in the roof with your cheapo black & decker and screwing a CB radio aerial on the floor pan and sticking 6 feet of whip aerial through the previously created hole...

Of course I did not make the same mistakes ... it was the wrong choices , no transformation and massacre