• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tokyo joe Humphrey Bogart jacket

MikeyB-17

Sorry, I hadn’t read far enough back, to Burt’s comment re the Aero field modified A-2 and the AVG. I don’t actually remember the AVG being mentioned with regard to the Aero mouton-collared A-2, but it was a lonnnggg time ago, and Burt doubtless knows better than me.

B-Man2

Sorry, I hadn’t read far enough back, to Burt’s comment re the Aero field modified A-2 and the AVG. I don’t actually remember the AVG being mentioned with regard to the Aero mouton-collared A-2, but it was a lonnnggg time ago, and Burt doubtless knows better than me.
Actually ...guys , I really don’t know much more than what I’ve shared here. This is why I’m hoping that Ken from Aero sees this and offers his feedback . My understanding of this repro Aero that I posted, is that it was a limited offering from Aero based on all of the info I shared with you and Chandler . The jackets were supposed to be a memorial jacket to the AVG , thus the mouton collar and the red or wine colored silk lining symbolizing an Aces jacket . So that’s what I was led to understand. When I saw the Bogart jacket was an A2 , with a mouton collar , the similarities were right there so I posted the jacket .
And Busdriver Mike , please accept my apologies for side tracking your thread .

MikeyB-17

Yeah, I think Ken is your man here. I definitely remember the Aero ‘field modified’ A-2, I wasn’t aware of an AVG version, and that’s where we’re at.
This is another one that’s been discussed before, and the patch is the 7th Fighter Squadron.
E33F3C26-B6FB-48B6-87C1-EE5609801B9C.jpeg

ausreenactor

Yeah, I think Ken is your man here. I definitely remember the Aero ‘field modified’ A-2, I wasn’t aware of an AVG version, and that’s where we’re at.
This is another one that’s been discussed before, and the patch is the 7th Fighter Squadron.
View attachment 54980

Flew the P-40s out of Australia early in the war. My first commissioned patch was a 7th Fighter patch in the late 90s. Still in a drawer....

:(

Brettafett

Interesting conversation. I'm following with interest, as a big AVG fan...
There weren't many A-2s being worn by the AVG, AAF pilots only made up one squadron, rest were USN and some Marine - if Im not too mistaken. Hence all the M-422s
And that's not to say there weren't any private purchase flight jackets in there also...

I also think some (no, not you Burt), but some people get mixed up still with the AVG and the 23rf FG or 14th AF that came after. Also, some crew stayed on... So someone who was with the AVG, but then stayed on into the 23rf FG for example, would then be issued USAF gear... So could still say they served with the AVG...

Field modifications. Im sure it would have been easy.
Later in 60 & 70's pilots had their G-1 field modified by removing the mouton. There are examples of these 60's/ 70's G-1s with leather collars...

asiamiles

It has a snap ring at the top of wind flap the back was single piece in most scenes
But in one it looked like a seam, maybe a trick of light or a stuntman or wardrobe ooops
Just rewatched it in HD, and in addition to the snap on the wind flap there's a horizontal seam on the sleeve. So it's not an issued A-2, just a similarly styled jacket with a mouton collar. I also can confirm that is the number 20 on the sleeve patch (see the very first pic in this thread); wonder if was an actual vet's jacket?

Dubpynchon

I used to think Kurt Russell’s jacket (Schott? Or similar) was the mutt’s nuts, before I found out it wasn’t an issue flight jacket. In all honesty, I wouldn’t want to be wearing a G-1 in the Artic-nowhere near warm enough.
You'd look cool alright but you'd freeze your nuts off... but you'd still look cool so...

(This comment really should be a thread necro)