• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To patch or not to patch...

Micawber

I have one patched and painted repro jacket. It was done by a dear veteran friend of mine approx 25 years ago as a copy of the originals he painted for his crewmates back in the war. I doubt it would fit me now, not that I ever wore it much as I am more a low profile kind of chap but it's a much valued keepsake and reminder of my now departed pal.

He also painted a miniature leather jacket for my son and presented it to us and the baby when we were attending a group reunion in the States. I think my son had to get to around two or three before he finally grew into it and of course it was not long before he grew out of it. His younger sister wore it a few times when she was the right age but it still looks like new and the paintwork fresh.

Brettafett

Patch it, just make sure its period correct. USAF Shoulder decal with Flying Tigers patch wouldn't be correct, would need both the CBI shoulder patches... but I assume you know this...
Its a 'cheap', but very good jacket, patch and paint the hell out of it... If you decide you don't like it, get another, or keep it for those 'show' days.
Agree with others, I would not likely patch a top-tier jacket, but these jackets are exactly what thats for! Bob Dong, Bronson, AVI etc... They are perfect for patching and painting.

B-Man2

I have one patched and painted repro jacket. It was done by a dear veteran friend of mine approx 25 years ago as a copy of the originals he painted for his crewmates back in the war. I doubt it would fit me now, not that I ever wore it much as I am more a low profile kind of chap but it's a much valued keepsake and reminder of my now departed pal.

He also painted a miniature leather jacket for my son and presented it to us and the baby when we were attending a group reunion in the States. I think my son had to get to around two or three before he finally grew into it and of course it was not long before he grew out of it. His younger sister wore it a few times when she was the right age but it still looks like new and the paintwork fresh.
Steve
Any chance of seeing a few pictures of his work?

Micawber

Steve
Any chance of seeing a few pictures of his work?

Just so happens Ive been hanging some bits on the rail behind so I quickly yanked that jacket out. Sorry but arty farty pics of a high end repro they are not. Truth be told this was the second one he did as the first, a better jacket, started to shed the pant really badly

IMG_20190128_152954915.jpg
IMG_20190128_153045378.jpg

falcon_ib

I agree that patches would look great on the Dong, but I'm a bit biased since I'm a huge fan of patched, painted, and personalized jackets regardless of price.

I'm also really into patch construction, so modern computer-guided pieces look noticeably worse to me than patches done on other more historically accurate mediums, like hand embroidery on silk or layered leather (both common in the CBI). Historically accurate repro patches in a variety of styles can usually be made for about $50-100 USD. Just something to consider.

One of my favorites, 20th Reconnaissance Squadron, Long Range (Photographic-RCM), 6th Reconnaissance Group. Painted directly on the jacket, probably from the immediate occupation period when they were flying mapping missions over the Japanese Home Islands and the Korean Peninsula:
20thPRS6thPRC_Japan1.jpg

20thPRS6thPRC_Japan2.jpg

20thPRS6thPRC_Japan3.jpg

20thPRS6thPRC_Japan4.jpg

Sometimes patch placement differed on B-10's compared to A-2's and other jackets, so you can have a little fun with it. Note how the MTO-style embossed wings are right on top of the pocket:
15thAF_Gunner_50Missions.jpg

(not my photos)

Last edited:

Flightengineer

I agree that patches would look great on the Dong, but I'm a bit biased since I'm a huge fan of patched, painted, and personalized jackets regardless of price.

I'm also really into patch construction, so modern computer-guided pieces look noticeably worse to me than patches done on other more historically accurate mediums, like hand embroidery on silk or layered leather (both common in the CBI). Historically accurate repro patches in a variety of styles can usually be made for about $50-100 USD. Just something to consider.

One of my favorites, painted directly on the jacket probably from the immediate occupation period:
View attachment 14406
View attachment 14407
View attachment 14408
View attachment 14409

Sometimes patch placement differed on B-10's compared to A-2's and other jackets, so you can have a little fun with it. Note how the MTO-style embossed wings are right on top of the pocket:
View attachment 14405

(not my photos)

Thanks, very impressive.

Griffon_301

Ah another nice Blue Nosers patched jacket :)
I have patched my RW B-15 with that patch and a name tag too...
I also added a 4th Fighter Group patch and name tag to the RW B-6 I bought last year...looks great IMHO.
I don't mind patching up top tier jackets as long as they still look historically correct...

B-Man2

Just so happens Ive been hanging some bits on the rail behind so I quickly yanked that jacket out. Sorry but arty farty pics of a high end repro they are not. Truth be told this was the second one he did as the first, a better jacket, started to shed the pant really badly

View attachment 14403 View attachment 14404
Great looking artwork, only out done by greater memories of the person who painted it.
Thanks for sharing Steve.

A2 B3au

CF71120F-23FE-4816-AA99-D1DB6909029B.jpeg
000C79C7-2847-4C78-927B-714C4E3FACA4.png
A164B393-CD8B-4C02-97BE-333E797692D9.jpeg
Hsssssssss ..I can feel my ears burning but here u go and I love it and know that they aren’t coo boned correctly but it’s purely for my aesthetic pleasure and that’s the main thing.. gen.skywalker ?? Again it looks and sounds good

B-Man2

Both jacket looks good and you’re the only one who has to like the way they look!
Cheers
B-man