• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To patch or not to patch...

Earloffunk

What would you do?

I am a bit biased about putting a patch on that jacket.

BD35ACDC-A80E-4767-865D-AF229C1C3B85.jpeg
F9ED88D6-F5AE-488D-9351-2347115B6073.jpeg

jeremiah

Hard for anyone of us to make that call. Ask yourself what you like about the patch or not. I personally could go either way. I am more of an arm patch guy. I am not in the military so not much point for me to have a name tag, but if I had an original with either a patch or name tag, I’d still be wearing it.

s4rmark

If it was a high end repro I probably wouldn’t. But a lower value jacket then I would as you won’t have too much to lose if you sell it on. At the end of the day it’s your jacket . If I got hold of a 323rd bombardment squadron cloth patch I would definitely put it on a Bronson, etc.

B-Man2

Ask yourself “Am I going to keep this jacket for a long time or will I tire of it and want to sell it in a few years”. That will answer your question for you.

Earloffunk

Thanks everyone.

I’ll leave unpatched for now - looks a little more suitable for everyday use.

Maybe, just maybe, I’ll get another one and patch it up all over... :cool: but not anytime soon.

For getting old I still have my dogtags - that way I’ll always know my name...

Spitfireace

Thanks everyone.

I’ll leave unpatched for now - looks a little more suitable for everyday use.

Maybe, just maybe, I’ll get another one and patch it up all over... :cool: but not anytime soon.

For getting old I still have my dogtags - that way I’ll always know my name...
And your blood type.

Cocker

And your blood type.

Mines read "Nitroglycol" under blood type, but then again they're nothing historically correct...

b04995e59ffac6ad12d6c805c7c46698.jpg

Empty bottle of Nitroglycol (10 years old Fine aged in oak barrels, adorned with the logo of the Virtual Squadron I'm flying with for 15 years now, courtesy of the Squadron Leader who's working in a distillery!).

Last edited:

Spitfireace

Mines read "Nitroglycol" under blood type, but then again they're nothing historically correct...

b04995e59ffac6ad12d6c805c7c46698.jpg

Empty bottle of Nitroglycol (10 years old Fine aged in oak barrels, adorned with the logo of the Virtual Squadron I'm flying with for 15 years now, courtesy of the Squadron Leader who's working in a distillery!).
Nice

Garylafortuna

Earlofunk, If this is the only jacket you own that you are thinking of patching up, go for it man. That looks like it could be the Bob Dong B-10 you recently acquired. My collection numbers about a dozen jackets, but only one of them is patched. Actually, I'm crazy about patched up flight jackets, but a lot of folks think it is uncool. The seed is already planted Earlofunk.

Carl

Well i think im going to go with a Bronson B10 and its definatley getting the patch treatment and some tribite paintwork if i can afford it !! :)

But thats just me

Flightengineer

If, like me, you are getting old and a bit forgetful l would definitely go for a name tag ;)

Bravo!!! It reminded an old professional joke.
One young co-pilot was assigned to the crew to the old captain. Every time before taking off and landing co-pilot see that the captain opens and reads a small old notebook .
-What are you reading, sir?
-When I stop flying and you become the captain, I will give you this notebook.
The time has passed ... The captain stop flying, going to retire and gives this old small notebook to young co-pilot. Co-pilot opens the notebook and reads "yoke pull up - taking off, yoke push - descenting".

ties70

Earl,

I would say: Patch it!
It's an entry level jacket, so there is nothing to lose...totally OK to be reluctant to patch up a 1200 USD jacket.
But here: If you decide afterwards, that running around with a patched jacket is not your thing, you can easily remove it. There is a good chance that you wouldn't even notice the stitch holes in cotton after some additional wear.

And even if they remain visible...I think it adds to an overall "authentically worn" impression.
If you decide to sell it in the future, then it might even be the deciding factor for someone who always wanted to patch a jacket, but never would do so with an immaculate one....

Regarding the specific patch: I am with Flightengineer....as much respect as I have for the AVG and the Disney designed patches...the tiger is sooo "cliché" for a flight jacket...get something different!

Best regards,

Ties