• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To care for or not to care for your jacket ?

Flightengineer

Add a bit of personal experience with repro.All depend of jacket use, today I used Pecard on one of mine Platon's A2. Got it 2 yeras ago in new condition.This jacket hard wear by me 2 years and it was my everyday jacket last two cold summers. Today used Pecard cause it seemed to me that the leather was becoming drier, especially on the sleeves, I used coat as described by @Grant - apply a bit by fingers and I must to say that after 5 hours jacket It absorbed all that I applied - I had nothing to wipe off.

mulceber

Moths are becoming a problem here. Dime-sized hole in one of my knits. Time to get some garment bags?
I recommend para mothballs. The key is that moths don’t like to bother with garments that are getting moved about a lot. They want to lay their eggs in a garment that is going to be undisturbed for a good long time. So if you’re not going to be wearing a garment for a while, mothball it.

leper-colony

Something like this can help, but is not a 100% answer.
1695737743195.png

mulceber

Something like this can help, but is not a 100% answer.
View attachment 121655
I've used these, and unfortunately they're TOO good: they'll get every moth in your house...and then attract them from the outside. o_O And despite what they may claim, they don't distinguish between kinds of moths, unfortunately. I had them put up and was capturing an unending tide of moths, so I called an exterminator...only to find out they were grain moths, not clothing moths. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Erwin

A mothball can leave a not-very-pleasant smell [in my opinion] on a garment, something like from a "granddad" wardrobe - which is related to an active agent [naphthalene]. I can recommend using mixed fragrance oils for making your own "mothball" or just - I got this idea from a veteran's wife who sold me her husband's jacket. This concept was even better than the received Irvin.B.Foster DSA-1-2071-63-C jacket, which was in great condition.

mulceber

A mothball can leave a not-very-pleasant smell [in my opinion] on a garment, something like from a "granddad" wardrobe - which is related to an active agent [naphthalene].
I said para mothballs. ;) They don't have any naphthalene in them. They're made of para-dichlorobenzene, which is the same active ingredient in urinal cakes. So they do have a chemical smell, but unlike old naphthalene mothballs, airing the garment out in a well-ventilated room for a day or so gets rid of the smell completely. Not only that, but para-dichlorobenzene is an odor eater (hence its use in urinal cakes), so when the garment airs out, all other smells that the garment may have had go away too.

I've done this to most of my jacket collection for two consecutive summers. The odor goes away.

Southoftheborder

I go in for the modern mothballs too. I don't think moths are as bad where I live as some other places, but I put them in the wardrobe and drawers every summer and haven't had a problem yet.

I have tried the more natural moth remedies in the past but sadly chemical warfare is what works.

mulceber

In my case I pack the garments away in a plastic bin and duct tape it shut, just to ensure I'm not being exposed to the mothballs that much.