• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips on dyeing sheepskin?

RumRunner

So I've ordered a G1 from Five Star that was supposed to come with a caramel-colored sheepskin collar, but they told me they needed to replace it with a lighter color one due to quality issues. I presume I could pick up some fabric dye and darken it a bit myself... has anyone done something like that before?

I know dyeing typically involves soaking the material in dye for a while, but this might not be practical since it's just the collar. Could I just apply the dye with a brush or cloth instead?

Would I need to use some kind of special dye for the sheepskin, or would regular fabric dye do the trick?

Photos for reference:

collar caramel.png

(Original / intended color)

collar blonde.png

(Actual color, to be dyed)

It does have the look of some of the heavier shearling-lined flight jackets, but I don't know that I've ever seen a G1 like that. Also I like the caramel color a bit better than darker brown or black.

Thanks!

B-Man2

Hi
Congrats on your new jacket.
I sincerely hope that you take this suggestion as it’s intended, which is to be helpful . The collar on your G-1 is not only off on the color but just as importantly the shape is off as well . I’ve attached some photos of a late issued G-1 as well as an earlier model M-422a both collars are different from each other but are decidedly different from the collar on your new jacket. I only point this out to let you know that the collar is a significant part of the overall look of the G-1. Without something that looks close to a G-1 collar … you don’t have a G-1.
395DAC4D-008C-442B-B613-76C9E698920F.jpeg
73A6D1D4-CBDD-447A-88E4-AB57BCB9AE5A.jpeg
1278988F-A5FA-410E-84F2-C93DB85C906E.jpeg

Last edited:

CombatWombat

So I've ordered a G1 from Five Star that was supposed to come with a caramel-colored sheepskin collar, but they told me they needed to replace it with a lighter color one due to quality issues. I presume I could pick up some fabric dye and darken it a bit myself... has anyone done something like that before?

I know dyeing typically involves soaking the material in dye for a while, but this might not be practical since it's just the collar. Could I just apply the dye with a brush or cloth instead?

Would I need to use some kind of special dye for the sheepskin, or would regular fabric dye do the trick?

Photos for reference:

View attachment 77928
(Original / intended color)

View attachment 77929
(Actual color, to be dyed)

It does have the look of some of the heavier shearling-lined flight jackets, but I don't know that I've ever seen a G1 like that. Also I like the caramel color a bit better than darker brown or black.

Thanks!
B-Man2 is right.... Shawn hasn't got the collar right on
in shape or colour unfortunately (basing the observation off my Brill Bros G1).... and dying sheepskin isn't too difficult though you need to be careful with water based dyes since it can harden the skin.... but that collar isn't sheep mate....the nap/"fluffiness" is completely off....more likely it's the same synthetic fur that's on the current issue G1,unfortunately it won't take to being dyed by the stuff you can buy.
If you're dead set on keeping that fur collar I'd suggest taking to a trustworthy tailor or dry cleaner who have access to stronger dyes and the experience to do it or get it redone in rabbit fur (I myself have done it to a motorcycle jacket since rabbits are a pest in Australia so quite cheap to get pelts by the kilo)....much more softer and comfortable on the neck and can be found in some beautiful caramel shades with subtle highlights and lowlights that sheepskin just can't match

Last edited:

RumRunner

I appreciate the comments and the eyes for detail. Understood about the collar shape, but this is a bit confusing to me:

that collar isn't sheep mate....the nap and "fluffiness" is completely off....more likely it's the same synthetic fur that's on the current issue G1,unfortunately it won't take to being dyed

They described it as "we are using the blonde fur collar which is cut from fresh sheep skins". Would I have misinterpreted that somehow?

Thanks!

CombatWombat

I appreciate the comments and the eyes for detail. Understood about the collar shape, but this is a bit confusing to me:

They described it as "we are using the blonde fur collar which is cut from fresh sheep skins". Would I have misinterpreted that somehow?

Thanks
I've handled a lot of sheepskin since I grew up in a area of Australia that had a large sheep farming community....the fur is too short and the fibre profile isn't quite right.....I think it's goat fur tbh since in Pakistan/Afghanistan (where a lot of goatskin is sourced from) they call goat "fat tailed sheep".... could be that Shawn Ali has got lost in translation?

CombatWombat

Though RumRunner at the end of the day if you're happy with the shape and feel of the collar it's all that matters.
(I've played around with motorcycle jackets most of my life and modded them to suit myself rather than be a purist/be fashionable)
But if you want to darken the collar I'd take it to a trustworthy tailor or dry cleaner who is experienced with dye jobs.... it's easier than trying to muck around with it yourself lol

RumRunner

I appreciate the advice everyone. Shawn and his team have been great so far, very patient with me. The jacket is still in transit, when I have it in hand I will double check the collar and go from there.

at the end of the day if you're happy with the shape and feel of the collar it's all that matters.
(I've played around with motorcycle jackets most of my life and modded them to suit myself rather than be a purist/be fashionable)

In spending time on this forum, I've come to realize that at my current price point (sub-$500 easily) I'm not really in a good position to adhere to precise historical accuracy, particularly as a "big and tall" fellow. Going for fit/comfort and quality is where I'm at right now, and this place has pointed me in the right direction so far. I was very close to clicking to purchase a hundred-dollar "real genuine leather" jobbie on Amazon from some no-name manufacturer, but I was doing a little more reading and ran across the forums here. I have enjoyed learning from the pros. :cool:

B-Man2

Thanks for those good thoughts. May I ask what size jacket you take ? There are a few big guys on the forum and while at a size 46 or 48 I don’t consider myself as particularly big , those of us who are here can help you with your decision before you buy a jacket .

Last edited:

RumRunner

Thanks for those good thoughts. May I ask what size jacket you take ? There are a few big guys on the forum and while at a size 46 or 48 I don’t consider myself as particular big , those of us who are here can help you with your decision before you buy a jacket .

It's been a bit of a challenge finding a size that fits me. I've got an A2 that is size 48 Long; it fits mostly okay but is still a bit shorter in the back than I'd like and the shoulders are just a teeny bit narrow. Shawn made me a size 48 ANJ-3 that was too tight/short, so I've gone up a bit for this G1. I know flight jackets are cut shorter than regular jackets but it still seems like I have trouble finding one that gets to my belt loops. To be fair, I do tend to wear jeans which ride lower, but I feel like I'm still always pulling the back of the jacket down.

B-Man2

It's been a bit of a challenge finding a size that fits me. I've got an A2 that is size 48 Long; it fits mostly okay but is still a bit shorter in the back than I'd like and the shoulders are just a teeny bit narrow. Shawn made me a size 48 ANJ-3 that was too tight/short, so I've gone up a bit for this G1. I know flight jackets are cut shorter than regular jackets but it still seems like I have trouble finding one that gets to my belt loops. To be fair, I do tend to wear jeans which ride lower, but I feel like I'm still always pulling the back of the jacket down.
For the most part flight jackets are short compared to commercial jackets . If they are not something you’ve worn before, it takes a little time to get use to the way they feel and ride on you . If you tend to wear low rise pants or jeans that adds to the problem . After you’ve worn one for a while you get use to it.