• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timeout speed

MikeyB-17

I believe this has been mentioned before, obviously nothing came of it, but I have a real problem with the speed that the page times out when trying to make a post. If you're doing something at all complicated like posting pic or links, I've found it a real pain. Tonight I was making a fairly long post, finished it, tested a link and came back to find half my post had vanished and I had to start again. I know you can save your draft but it's a bit long-winded. Don't like to moan as the mods do a damn fine job, but this could do with being addressed. Of course it could be just me and my computer cack-handedness! :D

bfrench

Administrator
MikeyB-17 said:
I believe this has been mentioned before, obviously nothing came of it, but I have a real problem with the speed that the page times out when trying to make a post. If you're doing something at all complicated like posting pic or links, I've found it a real pain. Tonight I was making a fairly long post, finished it, tested a link and came back to find half my post had vanished and I had to start again. I know you can save your draft but it's a bit long-winded. Don't like to moan as the mods do a damn fine job, but this could do with being addressed. Of course it could be just me and my computer cack-handedness! :D

Hi,, Mikey,

That issue came up before and as far as I know the default is set to no time out.

But, having said that, I'll look into it just in case the last upgrade did change it.

BTW - what is your timeout duration?

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,
Bill French

wrfrench

bfrench said:
MikeyB-17 said:

Hi,, Mikey,

That issue came up before and as far as I know the default is set to no time out.

But, having said that, I'll look into it just in case the last upgrade did change it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,
Bill French

Hi, Mikey,

I've signed on as my test user - left this open for 12 minutes and came back and posted.

I checked with the forum program people and they say that your time out is either your browser setting or your ISP settings.

Anyone else having this timeout problem.

Cheers,
Bill French

MikeyB-17

bfrench said:

It's instantaneous, Bill. I've just done it a couple of times-put a link in a post, previewed the post, clicked the link, went to the page that was linked, back to the post and the page has timed out. I tried the suggestion on the 'timed out' page about unchecking 'do not save to disk' in the tools menu-made no difference.

bfrench

Administrator
MikeyB-17 said:
bfrench said:

It's instantaneous, Bill. I've just done it a couple of times-put a link in a post, previewed the post, clicked the link, went to the page that was linked, back to the post and the page has timed out. I tried the suggestion on the 'timed out' page about unchecking 'do not save to disk' in the tools menu-made no difference.

Rats - Now I'm really at a loss.

Try rebooting the computer after you've cleared your browser cache and see if anything changes.

My test user has the same permissions as everybody - that's what is confusing me.

Cheers,
Bill French

MikeyB-17

Aah, interestingly, Bill, if I refresh the page after I come back to it, it seems to bring the post back. That'll do me-don't trouble yourself with it any more-thanks for your help.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Mike, if you need to leave the posting page, copy it first ... or submit the post with the link, then check it, and edit if necessary.

With Photobucket, open two windows, use the second for link gathering.

bfrench

Administrator
deeb7 said:
Mike, if you need to leave the posting page, copy it first ... or submit the post with the link, then check it, and edit if necessary.

With Photobucket, open two windows, use the second for link gathering.

Good info, David - some things I just take for granted - have been stung by that one before.

Cheers,
Bill French