• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thread

A

Anonymous

What else do we know about the thread used in A-2 jackets? I mean apart from being cotton, what else is there?

Anyone knows the technical specs?

greyhound52

This came from the Acme depot.

Variations in thread and stitching are also seen. Some thread used is essentially brown to match the jacket, but it is not uncommon for O.D. (olive drab) thread, typically used for O.D. clothing or webbing, to be used on A-2 jackets. The stitching itself, if quantified in stitches per inch, is seen to vary. Eight stitches per inch gives a very nice, clean, high-quality look, but it is clear that workmanship if not cost saving measures sometimes contributed to more sparse needlework. It is also worth noting that the thread material was all cotton.

I have had original jackets that the OD thread has turned to a khaki color with age. It is interesting to see both the original OD color and this khaki color on original jackets.

greyhound52

tcwu said:
George,

Could you compare all your different A-2 repro makers' thread?
I knew you have almost every brand! :lol:
Let us know what you think?

Thanks!

They all appear to use the same type of thread (I assume cotton as per the original). Aero uses the OD (at least on the Real Deal I had) while Buzz Rickson (at least on my Roughwear models and Aero model I had) used a khaki color thread. RMNZ uses brown in the jackets I have seen (RW, Monarch, and Dubow). GW will use whatever thread you want brown or khaki. Don't know about OD but assume GW would do that as well. ELC used brown on the A-1 and can't remember on the 27752 RW but the 1401 I had was brown. The Star ELC I had used brown thread and not the red color I have seen on some of the other Star's from ELC.

Roughwear

greyhound52 said:
Roughwear said:
The current production ELC RW 1401p has OD thread as does the RW 27752.
Andrew,
Thanks. Yeah I had an older model I think from 2001.

Yet my original 1401 has brown thread. I have not seen an original from this contract with OD, but Gary Eastman assured me they do exist.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
tcwu said:
ELC's book said: 100% cotton, 16 gauges, 4 cord thread...

The same as the Navy Department Specifications for the 37J1 ...

3.(a) The thread shall be a four-cord heavy mercerized cotton thread.

greyhound52

Roughwear said:
greyhound52 said:
Roughwear said:
The current production ELC RW 1401p has OD thread as does the RW 27752.
Andrew,
Thanks. Yeah I had an older model I think from 2001.

Yet my original 1401 has brown thread. I have not seen an original from this contract with OD, but Gary Eastman assured me they do exist.
My original RW 27752 had OD thread and Khaki color where it had aged. This was my first original jacket and it had the OD thread mentioned by Aero and ELC.

A

Anonymous

I am glad we are covering everything guys.
So, I am guessing the right thread would be like the one the Army uses on the M-65 jackets today huh?

What say you?

SuinBruin

I'd PM or email John if you have any questions about thread. It was one of the things we discussed prior to his making my Bronco, and while I can't pretend to have understood exactly what he was talking about, he seemed pretty well versed on the subject (and I'm not talking about color).

greyhound52

PLATON said:
I am glad we are covering everything guys.
So, I am guessing the right thread would be like the one the Army uses on the M-65 jackets today huh?

What say you?

On the modern M-65 current issue jackets they use a nylon thread and not cotton like on the A2s (at least that is what I am told). So it would be different.

A

Anonymous

On the modern M-65 current issue jackets they use a nylon thread and not cotton like on the A2s (at least that is what I am told). So it would be different.

Hm yeah, I checked my M-65 last night. The thread is 2 cord but I can't tell if it's nylon or not. I have an old Made in USA jacket not the new Chinese made.

But my question was refering mainly to size (gauge/thickness/diameter) of the thread. I am guessing that it should be the same as the A-2.

What say those who own both types?

Doug C

What's would the average stitch count per inch have been in the 40s? And will modern machines mach that? Or do the repro makers all use vintage industrial sewing machines?

oh, and wouldn't 16 gauge thread be considered heavy upholstery thread?

Doug C

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Doug C said:
What's would the average stitch count per inch have been in the 40s? And will modern machines mach that? Or do the repro makers all use vintage industrial sewing machines?

Don't forget Acme Depot .....

Variations in thread and stitching are also seen. Some thread used is essentially brown to match the jacket, but it is not uncommon for O.D. (olive drab) thread, typically used for O.D. clothing or webbing, to be used on A-2 jackets. The stitching itself, if quantified in stitches per inch, is seen to vary. Eight stitches per inch gives a very nice, clean, high-quality look, but it is clear that workmanship if not cost saving measures sometimes contributed to more sparse needlework. It is also worth noting that the thread material was all cotton.

And yes, repro makers use modern machines, and can match that.

Here's how it's done in NZ .....

RMfactory.jpg