• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts about my g 1from branded by orchard

busdrivermike

I’ve had this jacket for a couple years, it was with a couple friends at a flea market who
Were trying to sell it for me as I thought it was to big, I picked it up Sunday to sell on
Ebay myself but when I put it on it occurred to me it really only feels big because the waist
Band has lost all elasticity, it’s measurements are smaller then my schott at shoulders and chest
By an inch yet feels looser / sloppier the only discernible difference appears to be the waist
Band, the schott is snug while the g 1 has nothing and like the schott it has hand pockets
That I would consider sewing shut you can see why in the pics , they add a bulkier look
So pics to compare jackets , your thoughts and ideas on where to obtain good knits
And do they come in waist sizes or just standard length for my tailor to size ?
Cause now I feel I wanna keep this jacket, it’s leather is thick, motorcycle grade
Thick and I do prefer a little looser fit as I live in Canada and I do need at times
To wear a sweater or my heated gear when I ride , the shoulders look puffed from a year
At a flea market, they should settle down

Last edited:

daw

The Orchard looks nice; the sleeves tunnel a bit too much for me, but if you're riding a motorcycle, they're probably perfect with the extra length.

busdrivermike

Here’s a few more pics, of the g1 from branded by orchard
It appears to have been made for the US coast guard, it’s got wear on it
So it looks like it was not babied

Attachments

• A541AF48-79B6-4C25-83C8-7C21F5799618.jpeg
    A541AF48-79B6-4C25-83C8-7C21F5799618.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 201

Kennyz

That Orchard looks like a keeper to me, Busdrivermike...fits you well!

Ken

I’ve had this jacket for a couple years, it was with a couple friends at a flea market who
Were trying to sell it for me as I thought it was to big, I picked it up Sunday to sell on
Ebay myself but when I put it on it occurred to me it really only feels big because the waist
Band has lost all elasticity, it’s measurements are smaller then my schott at shoulders and chest
By an inch yet feels looser / sloppier the only discernible difference appears to be the waist
Band, the schott is snug while the g 1 has nothing and like the schott it has hand pockets
That I would consider sewing shut you can see why in the pics , they add a bulkier look
So pics to compare jackets , your thoughts and ideas on where to obtain good knits
And do they come in waist sizes or just standard length for my tailor to size ?
Cause now I feel I wanna keep this jacket, it’s leather is thick, motorcycle grade
Thick and I do prefer a little looser fit as I live in Canada and I do need at times
To wear a sweater or my heated gear when I ride , the shoulders look puffed from a year
At a flea market, they should settle down
View attachment 30865View attachment 30866View attachment 30867View attachment 30868View attachment 30869View attachment 30870View attachment 30871

Skyhawk

Cool looking Jacket! It doesn't conform to MIL-7823(E) AS. The tag says it does but the pockets and epaulets are not in the specs. They may have started with a G-1 and added the extra features, but left the tag inside. The stencil says Coast Guard and those are a bit different than the standard G-1, with hand warmer pockets, I have heard. But the snap pockets and epaulets are something I have never seen.

Makes an awesome Moto jacket though! Enjoy it.

billwong

The jacket seems shorter than a G1. The issued G1 I have seems to have a different cut than what you have there. Regardless their jackets are well constructed.

busdrivermike

Cool looking Jacket! It doesn't conform to MIL-7823(E) AS. The tag says it does but the pockets and epaulets are not in the specs. They may have started with a G-1 and added the extra features, but left the tag inside. The stencil says Coast Guard and those are a bit different than the standard G-1, with hand warmer pockets, I have heard. But the snap pockets and epaulets are something I have never seen.

Makes an awesome Moto jacket though! Enjoy it.

sorry I guess I screwed up , I was comparing fit between branded by orchard with my schott
So I did these pics to make Clearer, my mistake sorry for the confusion, I gotta get new knits
For the branded jacket as it’s waist is really loose compared to the schott, looking for suggestions
For heavy knits

Technonut2112

I'm just wondering why either of these jackets are being discussed on a forum based upon the interest of VINTAGE leather jackets, and faithful reproductions of the same? IMO, it's no wonder that many of our older and knowledgeable members have pulled-up stakes and no longer post. At least most of the Chinese repros discussed are intended to be representations of their vintage counterparts, and when not, what's lacking is pointed out. 5-Star makes an effort to reproduce vintage patterns / detailing at a reasonable cost for folks here as well, despite the fact that some members do not consider them worthy of discussion. IMO, it's hashing out the little details bringing them closer to the originals which is interesting, then seeing it happen.

I'm just pointing this out since I've seen more and more threads straying from this forum's basic premise lately. I suppose I can ignore threads like this, but I can't help to wonder why they're here to begin with..

Technonut2112

That Orchard is 34 years old. Is that not sufficiently “vintage” at this point?

Doesn't really follow the timeline / level of interest I've seen in this forum for many years. Generally, the Korean war era and back when vintage military jackets are discussed..

EDIT: Then again, I'll be 57 soon, and in no way consider anything from the 80's forward 'vintage' anyhow... ;) If other folks find these eras 'vintage', I will refrain in the future from raining on the parade.. I am known to be outspoken at times, and it just seems out of place compared to what I've grown accustomed to seeing discussed here.

Last edited:

busdrivermike

Doesn't really follow the timeline / level of interest I've seen in this forum for many years. Generally, the Korean war era and back when vintage military jackets are discussed..

EDIT: Then again, I'll be 57 soon, and in no way consider anything from the 80's forward 'vintage' anyhow... ;) If other folks find these eras 'vintage', I will refrain in the future from raining on the parade.. I am known to be outspoken at times, and it just seems out of place compared to what I've grown accustomed to seeing discussed here.
I fully agree on the not feeling like things from the 80s are vintage, I was in high school then graduated in 85 a year before this jacket
was put out, I’m 52 now and it still feels like it’s only been a couple years, but it’s truly a relative thing unfortunately
Ive got co workers in their 30s younger then this jacket, to them anything from the 80s is vintage anything past that is antique especially if it
Predates the 70s As they like to remind me. :)