• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those of us in Michigan

How much use do you guys see out of sheepskin jackets (irvins, b3’s, etc.) in Michigan? I’m not sure if those of us in Michigan would see more use out of a lighter weight sheepskin, or heavier weight. Light weight as in D1’s, etc.

mulceber

I find I get a lot more use out of a B-6 than a B-3, but it's more because of how stiff the B-3 is. A B-6 with a scarf, gloves and hat is about as warm as a B-3 is without them (maybe even a bit warmer), so just for the sake of being able to move my arms comfortably, I tend to reach for that more. But there are still plenty of days here that are cold enough for the heavier shearlings. Once you get into January and February, you could probably get away with wearing a B-3 (depending on what other winter gear you used) almost every day, and a B-6 about 80% of the time.

And that's not even getting into the cloth B-10s and B-15s, which are slightly less warm than the B-6. In January & February, I'm basically alternating between the heavy cloth flight jackets and shearling every day. Occasionally, I can get away with an A-2 with a scarf, gloves and hat, but that's unusual. In December and March, it's a bit easier to wear the light jackets.

Last edited:

Chandler

FWIW -- I agree with @mulceber about the lack of free movement in a B-3. I wore one in SE Wisconsin and NE Illinois for a while -- it was a bit restricting.

That said, even on the coldest days around here I often found it *too* warm. Some day I'll get my hands on a B-6 and compare. Could have used one today!

bfd70

Reporting from IL which is pretty similar, it depends on purpose. If you’re going for a long stroll outside there are plenty of chances to wear the 3. If you’re hopping into the car (where you’llturn on the heat for the passenger) and then wandering around the grocery the 3 is sort of overkill. In a perfect world we’d all have both.

mr_lits

I was just enjoying the idea of snowmobiling around the Keweenaw in a B3.

In Detroit area a B6 or D1 is probably about all you'd need for most of winter. Like the guys say above B3s are big and bulky... but super warm.

mulceber

Reporting from IL which is pretty similar, it depends on purpose. If you’re going for a long stroll outside there are plenty of chances to wear the 3. If you’re hopping into the car (where you’llturn on the heat for the passenger) and then wandering around the grocery the 3 is sort of overkill. In a perfect world we’d all have both.

Oh yeah, definitely. If just hopping in the car and going to the grocery store, I could get away with a flannel shirt in a pinch.

bfd70

Good thing about the 1 and 6 is they have room for a good layer. I put a northface light weight puffer under my d1 and am good to about 15f. Below that i’m never really good....

I was just enjoying the idea of snowmobiling around the Keweenaw in a B3.

In Detroit area a B6 or D1 is probably about all you'd need for most of winter. Like the guys say above B3s are big and bulky... but super warm.
I was thinking about a b3 for a snowmobiling jacket, plenty warm and windproof!

interbak

I’m just a few hours away, over the bridge in Ontario, so similar or a bit colder weather. I sold my B3 a few years ago, kept the D1. If it’s cold enough around here for a B3 then the B9 parka is a better option.

Snackson

I used to live near Saginaw in a little town called East Tawas on the lake. In winter, with the wind blowing off the lake, I was always more than happy to wear a B3 or an Irvin.

fishmeok

It's below zero here in MN at the moment. A B-6 is perfect for most around town stuff, but if I am going to be outside for any length of time I reach for my black label N-3B.