• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is what I call footwear!

Ken at Aero Leather

There's been a fair number of posts relating to members choice of footwear.
These are my "go to" choice from Sept to April
We've just restocked this week but they usually run out quickly, some sizes are sold out already
brownboots-pair-800.jpg
brownboots-sole-800.jpg
blackboot-pair-800.jpg

There are at least two pairs of these, now 30 years old, still being worn by girls in the factory every winter
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/products.php?cat=footw

ties70

Ken,

we are planning a year off two years from now. As Kingston, Ontario, Canada seems to be the place we want to go to, a nice pair of winter heavy boots might definitely come in handy...hope you will make them then, as right now for Germany it would be a total waste of leather and sheepskin...

Best regards,

Ties

Ken at Aero Leather

I'd have thought Germany would be as cold as Scotland?
About 10 years ago we had snow lying from mid November to April, bar one week at New Year. These were life savers.
On another note, has anyone else noticed as they grow older their feet grow bigger?
My first pair were size 8, fitted fine even with thickish socks, 20 odd years later these same boots were too small even with bare feet, a lot of folk wear these like that amazingly!
Anyway I had to get a bigger pair and ebay my old ones, they made £170 which wasn't bad as, if I recall correctly they retailed around £125 when first I got them!!

tjoenn

Hi Ken, a long time ago (maybe 15 years ago), I bought some boots from Aero. Do you remember these? Extremely warm and I actually wear them without socks. I still haven't really broken in the boots as it rarely gets cold enought to wear them.

IMG_6433.JPG
IMG_6434.JPG

Ken at Aero Leather

Wow! I'd completetly forgotten these, I wonder if we still have the patterns / labels? I somehow doubt it.
Looking good!

I'd have thought that would have more like 20 + years ago?

tjoenn

Wow! I'd completetly forgotten these, I wonder if we still have the patterns / labels? I somehow doubt it.
Looking good!

I'd have thought that would have more like 20 + years ago?
Well, definitely after 2001/02, remember where I lived when I got them, but I think you had stopped making them and I got some of the last ones... They sure are hard getting into/out of, but I would think you could wear those no matter how cold. Do I remember correctly that they were made from a "test-pair" during the war and never were produced past that?

Ken at Aero Leather

Well, definitely after 2001/02, remember where I lived when I got them, but I think you had stopped making them and I got some of the last ones... They sure are hard getting into/out of, but I would think you could wear those no matter how cold. Do I remember correctly that they were made from a "test-pair" during the war and never were produced past that?

Perhaps that was one pair sitting around at the time, I thought we'd sold out in the early 1990s
We found a photo of an original pair in a book, maybe Sweetings? We copied them from that, maybe we did some leather lined too?

Persimmon

I'd have thought Germany would be as cold as Scotland?
About 10 years ago we had snow lying from mid November to April, bar one week at New Year. These were life savers.

On another note, has anyone else noticed as they grow older their feet grow bigger?

My first pair were size 8, fitted fine even with thickish socks, 20 odd years later these same boots were too small even with bare feet, a lot of folk wear these like that amazingly!
Anyway I had to get a bigger pair and ebay my old ones, they made £170 which wasn't bad as, if I recall correctly they retailed around £125 when first I got them!!

I thought that was EARS !!!

Ken at Aero Leather

Are these not based on the Australian Bedggood 36 Pattern flying boots?
I can see what you mean, there are similarities but I'm not sure if Sheep lined was ever an option in these although we made some with a sheep lining.
They were listed in the book, whatever book that was, as USAAF Type A-2 A-15
There was also a photo of a USAAF Pilot wearing them

I found this on google, it's a leather lined pair

aero boot.jpg

Ken at Aero Leather

Photo is from Sweetings, there's a short thread on Fedora Lounge on these incl one of the Sweetings pics. For some reason I can't save the pic
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-type-a-15-mosquito-boots-review.36683/

It seems they were experimental and never went into production.
It also looks as if they were sheeplined, the Aero leather lined version being poetic license it's possible that the same applies to the contract number and drawing number?

Smithy

Those look nice Ken, I wouldn't say no to a pair of those.

As Kingston, Ontario, Canada seems to be the place we want to go to, a nice pair of winter heavy boots might definitely come in handy

Ties, living in Arctic Norway we can get a bit nippy up here and get the odd bit of snow and ice. When it's really shocking or if we're even going up into the mountains during the winter months, I've got a pair of Sorel Caribou which are worth their weight in gold when the temperature and conditions are their worst here. They're sheepskin lined and very warm, waterproof and the tread is even good on what they call here "speilis" (mirror ice) so when there's an inch or two of completely smooth ice on the ground. I recommend them wholeheartedly if you're going somewhere where conditions can be "wintery". You might not need them everyday over winter but when you do, you'll be bloody pleased you've got them.

15SORMCRBBFFXXXXXFBO_Buff_is