• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking of Xmas.....

John Lever

What are they actually thinking ?

crism1

What they ........ARE.....actually thinking !

‘I’m tellin ya mate.... there’s a daft wanker out there somewhere, that’ll buy this thing !!”

I think that's what they are aiming for. Maybe 1 sold B3 at that price would assure more bucks for a single piece instead of having 3\4 jackets that have to be bought by 3\4 different people. I guess that, thanks to the presence on the market of companies we very well know, it's completely possible to have the best absolute quality available, fair working conditions and reasonable prices for the products they are offering.
I struggle to find any reason why would someone buy something like that with so many top tier options available.

Smithy

That's just downright bloody stupid. Like Mikey says you'd have to be thick as a brick to cough up that kind of dough when for a quarter of the price you can get an Aero.

I suppose there must be some numbnuts out there willing to pay this otherwise they wouldn't list it for that. Although I'm really starting to think this gross overcharging that some companies are doing has got to stop at some point. It's just ripping your customers off, plain and simple.

crism1

Not necessarily numbnuts, but, in the global marketplace of our day and age, you either produce cheap stuff or you aim for people ignorant in specific topics that take for granted the idea that big bucks equal great quality. To get into the specific niche of fair ration between quality\price you need to learn, spend time, scrape for information, instruct yourself, all things that require time and effort. Time and effort is something that the average person on the market for something lacks, is not willing to put on or simply it's not capable to even conceive the possibility that fairness exists.

That, of course, is a bliss for markets that try to speculate any way possible

Micawber

Oh I don't know, I can think of at least one, possibly two snobby types who would imagine they deserve special kudos for splashing out that amount on a reproduction of a once mass produced flight jacket.

Smithy

Not necessarily numbnuts, but, in the global marketplace of our day and age, you either produce cheap stuff or you aim for people ignorant in specific topics that take for granted the idea that big bucks equal great quality.

I'd disagree with that slightly. Niche markets in the western world generally attract a certain level of knowledge in the market by those purchasing in it, it's the nature of the product, be it guitars, watches, vintage leather flight jackets, etc. It's the reason why a forum such as this has members. The pricing you're seeing here is that aimed at the Asian and specifically Japanese market where over there the size of the price tag directly relates to the status of the product.

The problem with using this Japanese pricing in the niche flight jacket market outside of Japan is that there is a sizeable proportion of that market who are savvy to the market and what is out there, and will question the price and comparative value of the product. In the last couple of weeks we've had two new members come on here with the initial inclination to buy an ELC jacket. After a short time here both of them ended up buying one of Platon's A-2s.

Sure there's always the odd person who will buy something like this with no research and little knowledge of the product and its alternatives. I'd still call them a numbnuts for doing that!

crism1

I'd disagree with that slightly. Niche markets in the western world generally attract a certain level of knowledge in the market by those purchasing in it, it's the nature of the product, be it guitars, watches, vintage leather flight jackets, etc. It's the reason why a forum such as this has members. The pricing you're seeing here is that aimed at the Asian and specifically Japanese market where over there the size of the price tag directly relates to the status of the product.

The problem with using this Japanese pricing in the niche flight jacket market outside of Japan is that there is a sizeable proportion of that market who are savvy to the market and what is out there, and will question the price and comparative value of the product. In the last couple of weeks we've had two new members come on here with the initial inclination to buy an ELC jacket. After a short time here both of them ended up buying one of Platon's A-2s.

Sure there's always the odd person who will buy something like this with no research and little knowledge of the product and its alternatives. I'd still call them a numbnuts for doing that!

That's a sore spot. I saw so many stuff produced by famous European brands that I wasn't able to find, cause at the end of the day, the reference market was just Japan. Incredibly high prices, incredibly hard to "import", so I just gave up.
Here in Italy, the whole food market took a similar direction 10 years ago and it's getting worse as time passes. A massive amount of the stuff is just produced for the only reason to spoil Americans and Easterners, so the whole market had a massive price spike we locals can't afford - unless we buy cheap discount stuff.

I guess that's just how capitalism works

jeremiah

Speaking of Christmas. Would anyone here be up for a secret Santa gift exchange? Or is that too much for most of you humbugs?

mulceber

Speaking of Christmas. Would anyone here be up for a secret Santa gift exchange? Or is that too much for most of you humbugs?

I can imagine all the dice, Asian coins, Aero hangers and A-10 gloves already. ;)

I’d be up for the idea, just pointing out that, in our hobby, stocking stuffers are a bit more limited than they are in other hobbies.

Last edited:

Bombing IP

But how many people know the companies we know or even care , we had one member join just recently that though that cockpit was the most accurate A2 jacket until he joined the forum .People want what they want when they want it ,until the next thing they want comes along because they have more money than sense .They have no interest in the finer details and the minutia we discuss here they are just followers of fashion . The lady that lives downstairs is the personal assistant for a firm owner that buys and sells companies all over the world , last Christmas she had to order a handbag from Chanel for his sixteen year old daughter . The handbag cost $39,000 and was one of her Christmas gifts to go under the tree ,there is a whole different world out there with different ideas with credit cards with no limits on them .

Jeff

mulceber

Seriously !!! A $39,000 handbag???
Her boss should be smacked silly!!

Think about how much her boss probably makes. The kind of person who doesn’t see a meaningful difference between the money it takes to pay for parking and the money it takes to buy a Buzz Rickson jacket.

B-Man2

Think about how much her boss probably makes. The kind of person who doesn’t see a meaningful difference between the money it takes to pay for parking and the money it takes to buy a Buzz Rickson jacket.
I’m sure you’re right... but it just sounds way over the top . But I know you’re right, there are people who have no concept of the value of money or any material thing. Those are people who have crazy amounts of it and can have anything the want.

Bombing IP

I’m sure you’re right... but it just sounds way over the top . But I know you’re right, there are people who have no concept of the value of money or any material thing. Those are people who have crazy amounts of it and can have anything the want.

You have one layer of wealth above that one that knows no boundaries and holds no sovereign allegiance to any country . Yes they use money but money is a tool ,they see the wealth of as the control of tangibles such a oil water gold etc etc . Most currencies in the world are controlled by private firms and have no backing , and currencies are very fragile and are only backed by confidence and 10% on deposit backing . So the super rich only deal in the tangibles things you can touch . I have gone off track here but there are many layers to society it's just like peeling an onion .I have had many conversations with some influential people and it sure rocked my paradigm .

Apologies for going off topic

Jeff