• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking About Going Nylon... Finally

Well, you know how it is. You get a new jacket, it's the bees knees...but still you crave, more. Ah, the fever. This really is a sickness.

I am completely in love with the new Good Wear Monarch A-2 I just got, but for some reason I can't stop thinking about the nylon jackets. Maybe now that my wearer A-2 needs are fully satisfied, I am finally free to turn my attention to the nylon jobs.

I am looking at MA-1s, since they seem high on nylon lover's lists of perfect, comfortable jackets.

Looking through old posts, I see the 60s models get a lot of praise, and I'm just wondering what I need to know if I am looking for an XL in these jackets? Hard to source? Specific years or contracts to look for? Does a large XL size restrict me to repros? Price ranges? I am looking for an unpatched, plain jacket to start with.

I can't find my JC Flight Jacket DVD (packed away and in storage at the moment) so I am surfing through the posts trying to learn about the nylon jackets. I've never owned a nice one, always going with A-2s...but I think I am ready to try the dark side.

Thanks for any tips, advice, etc.

By the way, I assume I would take an XL in an MA-1, since I'm a 48 in a GW A-2 (6'2" and 225 pounds currently with my winter/Christmas fat) :eek: -- but not sure about sizing on these.

Weasel_Loader

You might find XL MA-1 to fit a little on the short side depending on how you wear your pants (low/high). The XL MA-1s that I have owned (all original) fit me okay in length and I'm a very portly 5'8" and 220lbs. Most of the black labled early MA-1s fit pretty close. The later orange lined MA-1s from early 60s fit slightly different. I had a C model Alpha in XL that fit like a size 44 A-2.

I've only owned one repro MA-1 and that was the Buzz Lion in XL. It was too big on me and I didn't like the puffy sleeve ends.

Original black label XL MA-1s usually run from $200-400 in excellent + condition. If you go with the early 60s orange lined MA-1s you should be able to get a nice one for $150-250. I think most will agree that the C and D models with C&C zippers are the desireable ones. The slider just moves a little easier than the papercliped Conmars. Don't fret too much if you cannot find one with C&C zippers. Took me quite a while to find a decent XL MA-1 with C&C zippers.

One thing to keep in mind is cost when it comes to buying a fixer-upper MA-1. Unless you do the fixing yourself, the cost to replace knits and or zippers can be pretty high. I learned my leason as several others here know what I'm talking about. One or two knits are not bad to replace if the price is right, but avoid total knit replacement unless the jacket is dirt cheap (also make sure the shell is in good shape too).

Hope I haven't confused you. Let me know if you have any other questions. Since I'm a XL, I can alert you by PM if I see any good deals come up. I'm not in the market for any MA-1s, so I won't be competing with you. ;)

There are a few others here that can offer some good advice too. ;)

That is exactly the sort of information I was looking for, many thanks. Bless the 'net and especially this friendly and informative forum. :D

And please do PM any promising leads if you're not buying. Always appreciated. ;)

TankBuster

The problem I think you will run in to as mentioned is going to be the length of jackets. You're 6'2". I'm about 6'. It's very difficult to find nylon jackets that are long enough in the body for me. I can only imagine what it would be like for you.

As far as repair work on originals, Knit replacement in my opinion is very cheap and easy to have done. I agree though that zipper/zippers can be a costly repair.

All that being said, I hope you find one that works. When they fit, they are great jackets! Good Luck!!

Weasel_Loader

No problem. The prices I quoted for originals might be a little on the high side, but like everything else on ebay, you can find deals for cheap if you put the search work in and the time. I basically just went off the notion if your looking to buy in the next week or so and ready to wear with no staining or knit damage. ;)

Peter Graham

Although I've no experience of large size nylon I agree with what Danny says regarding what model to go for. I may be wrong but I believe it was only Alpha that made the C and D models with the C&C zippers. Definately the one to go for and they are quite plentiful too so you may be lucky with your size. Go nylon. You know it makes sense !

deand

I would rank my nylon preferences as 1) The L-2A, rare and probably cause I like the blue versus the sage, and 2) The MA-1, first of all in it's B-15C (modified) ancestory stage, cause it's blue, then a sage model. I really like seeing the oxygen mask tab on all of them. Either an original, or a Buzz are longer term goals.

dean

watchmanjimg

Weasel_Loader said:
deeb7 said:
.... and my Skyline. :cool:

Yep. Skylines had a mix of Conmar and C&C. Not sure of the other contracts.

I have one of each variant of the Skyline C. Interestingly, the one fitted with the Conmar zipper has its spec label in the right pocket. This is the only such instance I have observed.

derleicaman

Hey Clyde, have you considered nomex, say the CWU 36/P or CWU 45/P? In your climate, the 36/P should be perfect. The 45/P is great here in Chicago even in near zero weather. I have several of both in XL and L sizes. I can vouch for you that the XL would be a perfect fit in either one. You won't have the body length issues with these and the chest/stomach size won't be confining for you, either. I've always wanted an L-2/L-2B but I always have an issue with length. This is worse on these jackets than the A-2. I bought an MA-1 repro of ebay last year in an XL thinking it would fit like my CWU jackets, but it is waaaay too big. I'd follow the advice above for sizing on the vintage ones. I've given up on these for a while.

Willy McCoy

L-2 is first on my list of favorite 3 season jackets. The lining is not as delicate as the rayon on the L-2b. The B15D(MOD) is my favorite cold weather nylon jacket with its asymmetrical zipper closure and wind flap. MA-1 is a great jacket too. Have fun with the search for nylon!

Great info. and sage advice, thanks gents. I will have to pay particular attention to the length issue I see. I once had a USMC nylon jacket from the 1960s (forget the model number) that was a great fit EXCEPT it was too short. Ended up trading it to a buddy for a vintage topcoat that I still have, btw.

Oh, and glad you like the Dubow, Bill. It's a great jacket and if I hadn't gotten too big to comfortably wear it, I never would have sold it! :lol:

rich

Clyde from Carolina said:
Great info. and sage advice, thanks gents. I will have to pay particular attention to the length issue I see. I once had a USMC nylon jacket from the 1960s (forget the model number) that was a great fit EXCEPT it was too short. Ended up trading it to a buddy for a vintage topcoat that I still have, btw.

Oh, and glad you like the Dubow, Bill. It's a great jacket and if I hadn't gotten too big to comfortably wear it, I never would have sold it! :lol:

Clyde, maybe this could be useful for sizes, if you click on an image it gives the 3 main dims. (All depends on how handy they are with a tape measure though....)

http://www.vintagetrends.com/military/t ... ght+jacket

watchmanjimg

Clyde, I'm glad to hear that you're branching into the wonderful world of nylon! All this talk has inspired me to post a few gratuitous pics. Some of you may have seen these before, but I'm not sure about some of the newer members. In any case, enjoy!

Reed Products L-2, Superior Togs L-2A, and Rolen(?) B-15D Modified, all size 40:
JacketsEtc021.jpg
JacketsEtc020.jpg
006.jpg

A. Pritzker B-15C (restored as Modified version) and 2 views of Rolen(?) B-15D Modified, both size 42
JacketsEtc015.jpg
001-1.jpg
003-1.jpg

deand

You're the man, Jim, your collection is terrific! I plan on posting my meager nylon collection with the variety of caps I've been acquiring to illustrate how the combinations work out. have to finish my L-2A sage knit change-out project first...and it's a lot harder to do than I thought!

dean

watchmanjimg

deand said:
You're the man, Jim, your collection is terrific! I plan on posting my meager nylon collection with the variety of caps I've been acquiring to illustrate how the combinations work out. have to finish my L-2A sage knit change-out project first...and it's a lot harder to do than I thought!

dean

Thanks for the kind words, Dean! Although it may not be as large as mine, your collection is anything but meager and you're doing great in the cap department. I need to get myself some vintage caps like yours. Keep in mind that I've gone full-throttle for over 5 years straight to build my current inventory, which easily exceeds 100 jackets as well as tons of assorted militaria items. I've spent far more money and time than on this than any sane person would, but it sure is fun!

Good luck on the knit job. I wouldn't dream of tackling such a project! :lol:

Atticus

Clark J said:
Really Jimmy a size 40!Have samich and a beer...or 3!!!
I think I was bigger than a size 40 when I was eleven years old. Even my hats are size huge. But its all good. If I were a size 40 or 42, I'd stay constantly flat-assed broke from buying vintage jackets and Open Roads on ebay.

AF

Atticus

Clyde from Carolina said:
I am looking at MA-1s, since they seem high on nylon lover's lists of perfect, comfortable jackets....(what) specific years or contracts to look for? Does a large XL size restrict me to repros? Price ranges? I am looking for an unpatched, plain jacket to start with.
Clyde, I agree that any issue you may have vintage nylon is likely to begin with body length. MA-1s and L-2bs were designed to be worn with high waisted flight suits back when the average American man was three inches shorter than he is today. The late 'fifties and early 'sixties nylon jackets seem to be particularly short. I finally had to give up on L-2bs altogether. After buying a dozen, I never found one that was really long enough for me...and I'm nowhere near 6' 2"!

With respect to MA-1s, I would say that the early seventies Alphas are the most generously cut with respect to body length, and they are excellent jackets. Just like earlier editions, they were made with wool insulation, wool knits and solid (albeit aluminum) zippers. In fact, some folks here....and I am included in this group...are of the opinion that the early E-series MA-1s are as well-made and any nylon jacket ever issued by our military.

AF