• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There is a light at the end of the sleeve.

Dany McDonald

Hello,

Want to share this little fix that my girlfriend did on my Mccoy Monarch B-15C. Both sleeves were ripped, the waistband had a couple of holes. I bought the jacket with the intention of changing them but my girlfriend had a try at it and this is the result. I think it's pretty good and goes well with the overall used feeling of this old rendition.

All done by hand on both sleeve and waistband. Here's a couple of images.

Dany

Attachments

• IMG_1963_K.jpg
    IMG_1963_K.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_1964_K.jpg
    IMG_1964_K.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1966_K.jpg
    IMG_1966_K.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1967_K.jpg
    IMG_1967_K.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_1968_K.jpg
    IMG_1968_K.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:

Dany McDonald

Hi guys,

First the tread has to be of the of the same color to blend into the knitting as you may have to rebuilt some strength into the piece (replace missing wool strand by tread). Then you carefully restitch your way into the existing knitting pattern while keeping the original appearance as best as you can.
Also try to avoid unnecessary build-up of treading/wool as it will stand out and feel wrong. Last, you don't have to totally go under all the time, there is enough strength in the knit to stay in-between the wool strands, thus avoiding too much scar that looks bad.

I think the idea is to imitate the pattern as much as you can by working smart!

Is this clear and readable?

Thanx

D

B-Man2

Nicely done and yes your explanation was clear. Unfortunately your explanation exceeds my skill level by a mile. The good news is that I’ve looked into my Crystal Ball and I see a lot of money in yours and your girlfriends future :D . Where do you live again;)

Griffon_301

Had the same problem on my G-1 and also my gf was hired for the task...she did not do as great a job but I am happy with the result anyhow ... Adds a little "used" effect to the jacket and as the knits fold under the sleeves when worn you don't even see it really...

Silver Surfer

damnit. montreal aint exactly around the corner. anyhoo, think your girlfriend might consider doing knit reweaving as a side biz? there are probably enough folks on this forum in need of quality knit work to keep her busy for a year, two,, three.

Micawber

As an aside back when huge flares, long sideburns and nylon sheets were all the rage I worked alongside an old school tailor who had been in the trade since well before WW2. He was able to measure, cut, make up and fit a suit, tailcoat or whatever you fancied and would either hand-stitch or use an old hand or treadle powered machine. One of his many talents was the ability to invisibly repair holes and tears using threads gleaned from seams. Clever old boy [he was in his mod 70's and would have passed years ago], he taught me a lot.