• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The USN jacket you may never have heard about . The JACKET, UTILITY, UNISEX.

B-Man2

500 words or less again so it’s easy reading.
While some here in the US may be familiar with this jacket, the chances are that it’s not a well known item outside of the US. The USN issued JACKET,UTILITY,UNISEX, is a great jacket for chilly days but not really cold or snowy days. It’s made from a polyester and cotton blend material and has a nice quilted lining with knit cuffs inside the sleeves reminiscent of the USN N-1 jacket. The jacket is dark navy blue and almost looks black in the photos. The jacket was issued to USN personnel during the 1990s and it’s really a handy little jacket to have on hand for quick temperature drops . The main zip is a YKK and the jacket has a wind flap that overlaps the zip and is held down by Velcro patches down the length of the front opening. The jacket looks good with khakis, jeans or casual slacks and can be worn to work to class or for a casual look on a night out. Wear the collar popped up and it will provide you with that studly look of the MCQueen or Newman years . The jackets vary in price depending on condition and where you find them. The can be had for $25.00 to $100.00 , but save your money and do a little research for a lower priced one. I think that most of you will like this jacket as it’s a nice piece of kit. That’s it for me … here’s some photos .
3AB9458C-E1F0-487A-8976-40F5FBDD27A7.jpeg
A8A915A0-CFF4-47F5-AF60-417C0B7976A4.jpeg
EC3B1420-948B-442B-B555-0BBD75CE4752.jpeg
CF7E7D81-241D-4221-B829-D506563F188D.jpeg
558074F0-B045-4936-B9C4-8BA1B970C53E.jpeg
16169BEC-9094-4277-9347-694ADDD34CD7.jpeg
04766863-2051-4472-9C9F-9184E814F02D.jpeg
B65DCBCD-AFC2-4101-9C97-3A56C5822109.jpeg
D2B87549-B168-498C-B3FF-6C81D06C1BAF.jpeg
E663DD3C-C12E-4201-90F0-24D36EF8B5C5.jpeg

Chandler

My nextdoor neighbor is a career navy guy, I see him in fatigues more often than dress (he's a PT instructor), but he wears the new jacket now and again.

I wonder if he had to turn in his peacoat?

B-Man2

Chandler

Yeah, the peacoat is gone, unfortunately. I live near Great Lakes training center and started to notice the new recruits weren't wearing them a few years ago* -- struck me funny, then I learned of the discontinuation.

My neighbor wears cammy fatigues or dark (black?) pants and a khaki shirt. Haven't seen any brown yet.

*Wandering the local malls. ;)

Last edited:

B-Man2

Yeah, the peacoat is gone, unfortunately. I live near Great Lakes training center and started to notice the new recruits weren't wearing them a few years ago* -- struck me funny, then I learned of the discontinuation.

My neighbor wears cammy fatigues or dark (black?) pants and a khaki shirt. Haven't seen any brown yet.

*Wandering the local malls. ;)
I live close to Jax Naval Air Station and I see USN guys wearing either the new camo pattern fatigues, the green and brown camo not the blue and grey digital camo or the brown dress uniform. So I’m thinking that if the traditional Pea Coat is no longer an issued item …. Nows the time to load up on Pea Coats for future collectables ;)
PS …. I’m sure that in years to come they probably will be collectible … but it will be awhile .

Chandler

I live close to Jax Naval Air Station and I see USN guys wearing either the new camo pattern fatigues, the green and brown camo not the blue and grey digital camo or the brown dress uniform. So I’m thinking that if the traditional Pea Coat is no longer an issued item …. Nows the time to load up on Pea Coats for future collectables ;)
Yeah, he wears the green and brown on tan fatigues. I'll watch for a brown dress uni.

FWIW -- I picked up a modern peacoat at a local surplus store about 15 years ago -- still wear it. They had a lot of them and I'd bet they made their way from Great Lakes.

Unfortunately, the store has been gone about 5 years now. They had a decent selection of many modern items from all branches.

Ed Rooney

I see the mids wearing the new jacket around annapolis. I did not know it replaced the Pea, as I never saw mids wearing the Pea.

Chandler

I see the mids wearing the new jacket around annapolis. I did not know it replaced the Pea, as I never saw mids wearing the Pea.
I used to see the recruits wearing the Pea in winter all the time -- especially winter around here.

That said, the pics of the new one in Burt's posts make it look pretty warm.

B-Man2

I used to see the recruits wearing the Pea in winter all the time -- especially winter around here.

That said, the pics of the new one in Burt's posts make it look pretty warm.
Guys I’m not sure that the one I posted is the New version of the cold weather overcoat . Somewhere I read that the new version is going to be black in color .

JonnyCrow

Nice Burt, my wife found me this, Spanish vintage site again, G star from the 90's can you see what it's resembling? :) Seller said would accept 20 euros haha worth that of anyone's money
Screenshot_20221117-060240.png

JonnyCrow

Burt and Aus, found out this jacket was the g star deck jacket equivalent to 200 euros, g star expensive oof talk of which look at the price of the new g star aviator sheepskin model here in Europe :O

Chandler

Guys I’m not sure that the one I posted is the New version of the cold weather overcoat . Somewhere I read that the new version is going to be black in color .
Admittedly, I haven't paid detailed attention to those I see wandering around -- just that it wasn't the peacoat I was used to seeing.

B-Man2

For anyone interested original issued pea coats are still out there available for sale but the older ones are heavier and better made than the newer ones .