• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Rough Wear Brand....trademark of ELC or "public property"?

ties70

Guys,

maybe you can shed some light here:

ELC lists their Rough Wear jackets with the "R" for registered trademark....at the same time RW contract jackets are available from Bill Kelso, Goodwear, FiveStar....

Does ELC just look the other way or do I miss something about the actual protection under the "R" and "TM" labels?

Ties

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

Apparently, Gary at ELC bought the name Roughwear a while back:

ties70

Interesting. If he does indeed own the rights to the Rough Wear name, then it's generous of him not to enforce it. I'd really hate to be buying jackets with a label that says "Rogue Wear." It's bad enough that we're in that position with Aero.

Or a Bill Kelso RUDE WEAR"...a FiveStar RIGHTWEAR... a TOUGHWEAR CLOTHING CO. A-2 ;-)

No, seriously, maybe it has something to do with a regional protection? Or a combination of ELC and RW?

Micawber

No, no, no! Cut a dash in a Ruff Wear

Cavalier_soldier_Hals-1624x.jpg

mulceber

That would make sense. Sort of like how Aero Scotland only owns the Aero name for Europe (maybe not even that anymore, now that Brexit is complete).

ties70

Yeah, there are plenty of non-ELC RW 27752 jackets around, but their website states that "Rough Wear: Is a registered trademark of Eastman Leather Clothing Ltd.".

Just half of the name is registered, it says elsewhere "Rough Wear ® Clothing Company", so maybe the full name is not protected and can be used...?

Silver Surfer

in the 1920s-30s Rough Wear was either named "Rough In" or had a line of leather jackets under the name "Rough In". I have an original Rough In label that was removed from a basket case, floating around......somewhere.

ties70

OK guys,

I have checked the online version of the German Trademark and Patent Register and can add the following information:

It seems as if the word trademark "EASTMAN ROUGH WEAR" (trade mark # 000442194) is registered on behalf of Gary Eastman within the European Union.

33-1729

Except for the still-in-business Spiewak all of the original maker names have been trademarked in the US at one time or another, but they’re all dead now (Eastman dropped Rough Wear in Feb 1998). From the US perspective anyone can make anything (go John!).

Mr Calder has stated on this forum that he tries to protect his Aero Leathers company name and I think that makes a defining point, at least from the EU market perspective. Except for this Scotland-based company all the others we typically deal with, i.e., Good Wear, Eastman, Buzz Rickson, etc., are making original maker reproductions under their own (differently-named) company name. They’re not trying to protect their own brand, but pay homage to others.

tess.JPG