• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Real Mccoys A2

jeremiah

I have an ELC and had a Buzz Rickson (not sure of what differs from RM and BR) once.
Never had a GW.
I’d say the GW would be preferred by most. The knits on my ELC are the only complaint I have with mine.
I would have kept the BR if it had not been too small.

Silver Surfer

once upon a time rm japan, and rm new zealand were considered the best of breed. yes, they made their jackets in both japan and new zealand. they were not cheap, but they were very well made with a good eye for detail. however, except for their dubow a-2s, all of their jackets had the same pocket flaps design, and all of their a-2s were easily one size smaller then tagged. from time to time, rmnz would offer unsold jackets at pretty good discounts. rmnz is no longer in biz, but rmj and toys mccoy [same company] are. they use shinki as well as italian hides for their a-2s, and the details of their jackets have pretty much remained the same as back in the day. they are very expensive for what they are and japanese dealers, and private sellers ask a premium for their used jackets. however, they can be found on some of the japanese auction sites with low starting bids.....it helps to be a small guy, as the vast majority of the a-2s offerd on these auction sites are sizes 36-38- and some times 40. which means tiny, kinda tiny and not so tiny, since they will be a size smaller then tagged as mentioned above. bottom line is imho, nice as they are, they are not in the same league these days as gw, ja dubow, eastman, et al, and new, more expensive.

Silver Surfer

imo, correct. however, i am sure that these will be those who feel that spending buco $ = better will disagree. buzz is a totally different story. they are more diversified if i am not mistaken though a few other branded names, and make more of an effort to be an international company. contrary to rmj, their a-2s tend to be larger then tagged. dunno why other then possibly adressing markets outside of japan. once again, their 1-2s are high quality shinki and italian hides], but not as accurate in details as the aforementioned.

Last edited:

Technonut2112

I purchased a RMNZ RW 16159 from a member here back in 2007 (before the forum crash), and the quality was excellent IMO... I regret letting that one go to this day. Here's a pic:

DSC01703.jpg

Technonut2112

Hmmmm What size was that?

It was tagged a 46. I was / still am a size 44, and it fit me very well however. I don't recall who the member was right off, but the pic I posted above was theirs from the FS listing. I do remember that the price was VERY right (Somewhere around $350.00 USD back then).

Srahimian24

So what happened to Real McCoy's NZ? Are they not the same as the japanese company? I'm not too familiar with the japanese repro brands as far as A2's are concerned, sorry for all the questions

asiamiles

TRM (NZ) no longer exists. TRM (Japan) is not the same company as Toys McCoy; both have shops in Tokyo should the opportunity arise and you wish to look at their garments first hand.

asiamiles

The Few, which someone asked about, was I believe TRM (NZ) goods produced for Japan, which was probably their main market.

It's personal opinion/taste as to whether the Japanese or the Western companies make the best gear. One should bear in mind that the likes of TRM and Buzz (which like Sugar Cane and some other labels comes under the Toyo Enterprise umbrella) have considerably wider ranges of goods than Eastman, Goodwear etc.