• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The one jacket

JonnyCrow

Yep, the RAF kept all but one of them as they fished the crew out of the Sea with an ASR boat. Something about maritime salvage, they said.
That's why the crew is wearing RAF cast-off unforms in that photo. And yes, Starcer did paint those.
Maritime salvage a profitable business so I was told once from a old mate at Lowestoft haha

Brettafett

Im quite satisfied with the handful of jackets I now have, taken years to get here. Have a couple to move on and Im sure there'll be one or two additions to come.
Still have that GW on the horizon.
That said... An original light seal, dark russet A-2 in near mint condition that fits well, would be gold.

JonnyCrow

Original artwork by Tony Starcer, chances are he and his team painted the crew jackets too [speaking as an ex curator of the 91st BG museum at Bassingbourn].
Steve I wonder if Tony painted the murder inc plane and jackets, the ones that caused the propaganda ruckus with Goebbels, so much so that all future crews were explicitly order not to paint artwork on jackets by the US government

Micawber

Steve I wonder if Tony painted the murder inc plane and jackets, the ones that caused the propaganda ruckus with Goebbels, so much so that all future crews were explicitly order not to paint artwork on jackets by the US government
Not a 91st aircraft so unlikely to have been painted by Starcer. From what I was personally told by one or two who painted jackets with him to earn a few extra $$$ they had their hands full keeping up with demands for artwork in their own group.

JonnyCrow

Not a 91st aircraft so unlikely to have been painted by Starcer. From what I was personally told by one or two who painted jackets with him to earn a few extra $$$ they had their hands full keeping up with demands for artwork in their own group.
Cheers Steve, incidentally, and you would know this, the hundreds of planes etc that Charcer painted it must have supplemented his salary a fair bit haha

Silver Surfer

back in the day, the confederate Air Force, now known as the commemorative Air Force had perhaps 100 or more original pieces of original aircraft nose art adorning the hanger walls.....not to mention all of the wwll war birds.