• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The new EBay method for getting paid … anyone experienced it yet ?

B-Man2

So with the break away from Pay Pal for getting paid from an EBay sale, you must now provide all of the same information about your checking account and bank routing numbers to EBay by a certain date or you will not be allowed to sell on EBay . So I complied and followed the I instructions provided, because occasionally I’ll sell a few things on their site. So now the new procedure is that you sell your item and the buyer pays EBay the money. Now prior to this new system you could see that money hit your PP account within minutes and know that the money was paid and ship your item ( often all in the same day). Now however , the magnificent idiots at EBay hold on to your money for between 2 and 5 days before it goes into your personal checking or bank account . Now I used to have a certain amount of personal pride by mailing out my sold item on the same day I was paid , because that’s what I would like to have happen if I bought something . It used to piss me off when I paid a guy on Monday and he didn’t ship it out until Saturday . Well now that the magnificent idiots have gotten involved the confirmation of payment process takes 2 days and then what they call the “Pay Out “ process can take another day or two before you see the money in your account . Now here’s where the it gets interesting , from what I can see , EBay still expects you to ship your item out within a 3 or 4 day window or face a naughty feedback report from them and the buyer . So from what I’m understanding EBay expects you to have faith in their oversight and ship your item without actually having the money in your account prior to the shipping . Well with a $900.00 Good Wear …. That ain’t happening Heisenberg !! :mad:…Now if I’ve gotten any of this screwed up or wrong please anyone feel free to correct me …actually I hope I’m wrong because I just sold a jacket that the buyer paid for according to EBay, but I have no money in either my PP or my checking account and I’ve been instructed by EBay to ship the jacket by Thursday . So I saved the best part until last . EBay sells this new program by telling you that it will expedite the transaction and will save you money because PP fees have now been eliminated . However , it seems that EBay added a small handling charge to complete the financial exchange for the sale and while they did save the seller money it was about 4 tenths of a percent .
Waiting to hear you from you guys and any experience you’ve had with this new system .
Someone please tell me I’m wrong about all this .:oops:

Last edited:

warguy

They call this little slice of heaven “managed payment”. The other detail you left out is that when they do put the money in your account, they subtract the eBay fees for the sale, so now you don’t wait until the end of the month to pay all fees at one time. That’s the real reason behind all this in my opinion, they get paid immediately and don’t have to fuss with those rare sellers out there that pay late or not at all. I have signed up but haven’t had any transactions with it. There has been a lot of chat about it over on the US militaria forum. Most folks there don’t like it much and are looking for other venues to sell their wares.

B-Man2

I’m rapidly approaching that point . The fees and the restrictions they impose are ridiculous these days . Not to mention that a seller has very little if any recourse if he gets scammed buy a shady buyer .

warguy

In a post just yesterday on USMF, apparently eBay is forming a watchdog group now of some sorts that has the power to end listings. I have always had good experiences with selling on eBay myself, but I think it is just going to get more and more difficult.

Pilot

In Germany ( a very big Ebay plattform for militaria and collectors) and France, if private sellers, Paypal was never really accepted nor mandatory.
Most payment is still done via bank to bank wire transfer ( without any Ebay involvement).
Seller and buyer only, Ebay gets its fees from seller at each sales transaction... via a bank account or credit card... for business sellers, its like in the US or UK.

Last edited:

Micawber

Yes I signed up, yes I experienced the wonder of it, yes it's crap and of course biased toward eBay. Paypal has never had my confidence since they shafted me with their arbitrary and incorrect decisions on several occasions over the years.

The glory years of eBay of 20+ years ago are long gone.

robrinay

I’m wondering if they’ve done it so they can get ‘overnight’ interest on the millions of pounds dollars etc. of sellers money they’re holding for a day or two? Having said that I’m not sure if any banks still pay that sort of interest like they used to.

Last edited:

B-Man2

I’m wondering if they’ve done it so they can get ‘overnight’ interest on the millions of pounds dollars etc. of sellers money they’re holding for a day or two? Having said that I’m not sure if any banks still pay that sort of interest like the used to.
I had the same thought myself . I bet that was one of the reasons they did this . When you’re talking about millions and billions of dollars, interest accumulates by the minute . I’m sure that didn’t go un noticed by Ebay management .

Officer Dibley

I wasn’t happy but went along with it. From sale date to time money will be in my account will be 7 days - possibly longer. Not happy. I will put in my listings that i will mark as shipped but not ship til the money is in my account. Let’s see what that elicits from greedbay......
But looking to move to Etsy or other routes. Trouble then is you ask for a set amount rather than auction.
I use ebay.fr & ebay.de a lot but only folks who have ebay as wire transfers cost an arm & a leg and take a long time.
There is now a gap in the market so hopefully some entrepreneur will start an auction site with paypal and ebay can fook off. I’d love to not use them. Having been on since 2000, i’ve seen it go from ok to crap and with buyers having all the power. Fine ‘til there’s a problem.
Dave

STEVE S.

I looked into it when I heard about it and I’m not giving them that much personal info. Bank info is bad enough, but heard they also require your SS number, which if true, is a bad accident waiting to happen. I’m also betting somewhere in the fine print you release ebay of any & all liability if their system is hacked & someone runs rampant with your SS# & bank info....

B-Man2

I reluctantly agreed to buy into it as well, after I considered that they wanted basically the same information that I had already given to Pay Pal. Since Ebay owned Pay Pal at one point or another I assumed that they had it anyway. But Dave’s correct in that now Ebay expects you to ship your goods within 3 days but doesn’t put the money into your account until the 5th day . If you’re shipping little stuff … ok so what … but if you’re shipping a GW jacket or some other costly item … ain’t gonna happen ! So now the buyer has paid on time and he’s pissed because his goods aren’t being shipped and starts to complain to Ebay and my feedback rating drops . Once again the magnificent idiots of Ebay score a 10 on the idiots scale ! :mad:

John Lever

Not sure how it works world wide and I am no legal expert but I think when you sell something but don't get paid it is the money and not the goods that becomes the issue.
30 years ago we lost 100 k of goods when a company went bust but were told we would be arrested if we tried to get them back by force.
This has left me very cautious.

Smithy

I wouldn't sell anything on Ebay now. They've shafted sellers and the process of selling on there.

It was great to use back in the early noughties when I was using it the most.

They've screwed the pooch with it now as far as I'm concerned and they can keep it.

I would LOVE to see eveyone dump ebay

That so needs to happen Dave. If someone starts a site which is better and more user friendly and it goes viral it will happen. I could see Ebay doing a Myspace if someone launches the right selling platform and it gets a big push.

ButteMT61

I say a hearty f*ck-no to this! I ignored the emails and now I can't sell? So be it! I don't any longer sell there anyways, so ba-bye eBay. I'll buy there, but that's it.
Access to my checking?
SS#?
Eff yourselves fellas. (eBay fellas, not you guys :p)

Silver Surfer

ive gotten screwed from both eb and pp from their arbitrary decisions regarding "sellers protection". there is none, even when you submit proof of shipment and a usps tracking #. Etsy? maybe. there is in fact a new kid in town regarding electronic payment, and it called taboola. I have no idea about how it works. what I find ironic is that both eb and pp were easy go to venues and big time $ makers by any account. their greed is a miscalculation about what folks will put up with, and like companys in the past, they will both be eclipsed by new venues. eb and pp are slick as eels in a pot of snot.