• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most suitable replacement for original Eastman knitted cuffs

Smithy

Talking of length of A-2 wrist knits, have a look at those on the jackets of Lts Clark and Pisanos of the 4th FG at a briefing at Debden in 1943.

QhwYiUn.jpg

Flightengineer

Long is not short as you know in our domestic saying ;) When you sew the cuff into the sleeve, the long cuff can be made shorter without problem you'l just tell it to your tailor.
My experience with Larry and MASH was positive both, knitting is of excellent quality in both.

Silver Surfer

if i am not mistaken, both chappy and platon use the same knit supplier. i would suggest that if any knits that you intend to buy are not %100 wool, stay away, as they will pill, sooner then later, and you will have a nifty a-2 that has the look of a mall jacket because of the synthetic blend knits. good pic of knits on newly or newly issued a-2s, smithy

Last edited:

Julius

It's certain that knits shrunk and appear short in many wwii photos and of course in many original jackets found today.
But there are also many photos (I have some and can show if anyone wants to see) in which they appear long and I would guess it's safe to assume they were 3 inches long before shrinking, i.e. the same as the waistband's height which is determined by the zipper tab in the front which is also 3 inches. Simple as that.
Furthermore, I think cuffs couldn't be shorter than the waistband as that would possibly make the sleeve length shorter than the body length and I don't suppose that would have been correct.

IMG-20190516-005312.jpg

From left to right, older Eastman, NOS USN G-1, Mash, Larry's.
It can't be seen clearly in the photo but Larry's is longer and wider than the rest.

I have bought 3 or 4 sets from Larry and it was the same disappointment every time. They are simply not accurate, but I guess they will be perfect if you are one of those size 48 or size 50 wearing guys.

Mash's cuffs are nice in size and weaving but their problem is that the wool they use is very smooth and soft and not coarse like originals and as a result the knits feel very much like modern knits, something like those polyester or aramid knits found on modern MA-1s. They are perhaps the best available replacement cuffs if you don't have access to what the major repro makers use.

Last edited:

Julius

I have seen NOS cuffs and waistbands from the WWII era but never military spec NOS in my 15 years of collecting.
I doubt they exist. If they did, somebody would be selling them for crazy money online.

Micawber

Well in my experience of collecting for 50+ years I'll add this....

They do exist command high asking prices and believe I saw some advertised, possibly on on fleabay not that long ago [I refer here to A2 knits]. Whether those high asking prices are ever realised is a moot point, rather like much of this gear which, after all said and done, is still machine made old clothing manufactured and issued in vast quantities. One off hand stitched outfits for royalty and preserved for centuries they are not.

Going back to your earlier comments "...but for the untrained eye, or someone who does not have high expectations I guess they are fine. On the other hand, $27.50 for a set of knits is big money considering one can find original cuffs for $2 per pair. But unfortunately, only cuffs and no waistband" are rather redundant given that the original query regarded A1 knits, not G1 and the suggestion that people who choose to use Larry's knits are souls without "high expectations" a rather unfortunate choice of terminology.

But we are talking knitted items, in the grand scheme of things your choice of words are not the end of the world;)

Brettafett

Thanks for the pic comparison Julius. I will try MASH next.
I had another look last night, at two jackets with Larry's knits and there is a very small difference in one of them feeling a bit softer/looser, the stitching does appear slightly wider than on the other jacket, but hardly something I'll loose sleep over. Quality is good enough.

Julius

There were 3 occasions in 2010 where somebody sold 2 sets of cuffs and waistband and 1 set of cuffs of what he advertised as NOS WWII. You can find those on that site that monitors ebay sales.
Can't tell you how much they went for as I am not registered there but I am positive it wasn't more that $20.

Seems you "know it all" don't like my choice of words, but you like Larry's cuffs. So please go ahead and use them on your Avirex or US Wings jacket. I wouldn't use them on my Goodwear or Eastman jackets. And I don't think anybody who paid top dollar for his jacket would.

Let me repeat again that G-1 cuffs are far better quality than Larrys, they are original and they cost only $2 per pair compared to which Larry's asking price seems like a ripoff. Also FYI the original cuffs are made with two ply yarn while Larry's are single ply. Also the yarn weight Larry uses is different than original. I am sure in your 50+ years of collecting never heard this before; how unfortunate for you. I have researched the subject and can also tell you what weight and grade yarns they used and what is the colorfastness they should have.

The only drawback of G-1 cuffs is that they are too dark in color and hence not suitable for A-1. Otherwise their size and weaving is ideal.

All I said, I that for a person who doesn't care or ignores the correct size cuff, or yarn weight, color and weaving, Larry's cuffs are OK.

Micawber

No, I don't like your use of words that suggest those that choose to use this or that item have "low expectations" or your continued asides and incorrect assumptions. Cheerio.

Julius

What don't you like about "low expectations" ?
Larry's cuffs cannot satisfy someone with high expectations (i.e. who wants accurate cuffs) for the reasons I discussed above.

But I won't tell you what to like or not like, it's your right. Cheerio.

Silver Surfer

i have have had larry's knits installed on the gw aero 16160 that i bought back from a member here, and some others in the past. did i count the threads in the weaving, or weigh them? no. am i happy with them? yes. am i particular? yes. as a side note, i have been collecting and handling original a-2 jackets for some 35+ years, and i am not a know it all kinda guy, but i do know my way around original a-2s. just to be clear, originals are originals, and repros, regardless of their fidelity to originals, are after all, repros. some better then others, and some using better materials then others.

B-Man2

Going in a little different direction ... let me say that I’ve learn a lot about knits reading everything that’s been posted here. Thanks for sharing all of the knowledge that’s its taken you guys years to accumulate.
Cheers

Lebowski

You might not want to sell to this guy.
Going in a little different direction ... let me say that I’ve learn a lot about knits reading everything that’s been posted here. Thanks for sharing all of the knowledge that’s its taken you guys years to accumulate.
Cheers
I also feel thankful for lots of helpful info which has been posted over here in this thread. Thanks a lot gentlemen, will continue reading!

Lebowski

Larry's cuffs cannot satisfy someone with high expectations (i.e. who wants accurate cuffs) for the reasons I discussed above.
Julius, could you please share your link to buy those original NOS G-1 cuffs from 70s for just 2$ a pair which you've mentioned above several times? Interested in that. Thanks in advance.

Smithy

Julius just a small bit of advice but you might want to go a little easy with some of the chaps here as they probably know a lot more than you may think.

Have a look through this site over the years and you might get a surprise by just how many original A-2s Vic (Silver Surfer) owns and has owned. Likewise Steve (Micawber) used to do museum work for an 8th AF museum in the UK and has been in contact with many original items (A-2s included over the years).

These two blokes aren't exactly "wet behind the ears" when it comes to firsthand experience with original A-2s.

Not poking a stick at you but just putting you in the picture about something you may not have been aware of.

Julius

Smithy, I have been lurking in this forum for 60+ years before I joined :)
I believe everybody should treat each other with respect around here and not being snobbish, otherwise the chaps who probably know a lot more than I may think will be left alone looking at each other and the walls.

Lebowski

Smithy, I have been lurking in this forum for 60+ years before I joined :)
I believe everybody should treat each other with respect around here and not being snobbish, otherwise the chaps who probably know a lot more than I may think will be left alone looking at each other and the walls.
Could we finally have an honor to see any link from you to those original USN cuffs from 70s for just modest 2 $ a pair, Sir? Or you're possibly "just talking about nothing" over here now?

Julius

I will not reveal my sources, but if you need one set you can buy them on ebay for $5
item no 202641045921

Lebowski

I will not reveal my sources, but if you need one set you can buy them on ebay for $5
item no 202641045921
Do you mean these ones?
Well, not 2$ nor 5$ but 8$ a pair plus 14$ shipping. Ok, but are you sure it's 70s period correct original wool USN cuffs?
I'm not insist, but at first sight on the photos they look more like mass market mall production.
Moreover, they don't seem to look like seal colored but more like greyish very dark olive.

Last edited: