• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The leather jacket according to GQ...

A

Anonymous

Apparently we've been going about getting high quality leather jackets all wrong according to GQ! First of all= even a Japanese repro at $1200 is way too little to pay- we should be paying $3,000 or more for one of the designer pressed lambskin jackets made by well known high end name brands. The jackets (they've decided this year) should be too short in the sleeves and body- in fact they recommend buying a size too small! Remember last year all the high end jacket had very long sleeves- but apparently that isn't "classic"- you should by a jacket too small for the classic look. And their second NO NO (don't ever do this! was- well- here- you read the "rules":
GQ: How to Buy a Leather Jacket
How Not to Buy a Leather Jacket
• You are not Indiana Jones; leave the distressed brown leather bomber jacket to Harrison Ford.
• And on that note, those World War II tobacco-brown replica bombardier jackets? Absolutely not.
• No patches.
• Leather jacket, good; leather blazer, not so good.
• Unless you just climbed off a Ducati, please refrain from padded, striped racing jackets.
• Zippers, yes; buttons, no.
• And remember, you’re not buying a leather coat, you’re buying a leather jacket. It should fit like one.
God- I feel powned- I've been doing this all wrong! Check out for yourselves the way a real jacket should look :lol: :lol:
00002f.jpg

00004f.jpg

00009f.jpg

and here's a Bomber Jacket:
00013f.jpg

Here's the way a bomber jacket should look when worn properly:
00012f.jpg

Maybe we should reevaluate this whole obsession we have- I mean those jackets look amazing!

C.J.

If I'm ever found wearing something like that, I want someone to fly to Jersey and punch me right in the face :?

Hi Jeff, how is everything in Berkeley?

Yeah, this is what "they" believe...The Masses have bought "it." How many times have I seen this way of wearing...more than I can tell you as I brush by all the shoulders in hallways after finishing a class, and even more so, out there beneath the blue blue...

A

Anonymous

These jackets look so uncool (not really!):
14_18_4.jpg

3_16_1.jpg

In real life to me even in a grainy photo and all rumpled this looks great:
3_45_4.jpg

and these guys look pretty cool:
freitas2e.jpg

Remember- according to GQ:
And on that note, those World War II tobacco-brown replica bombardier jackets? Absolutely not.

A

Anonymous

rotenhahn said:
Apparently we've been going about getting high quality leather jackets all wrong according to GQ! First of all= even a Japanese repro at $1200 is way too little to pay- we should be paying $3,000 or more for one of the designer pressed lambskin jackets made by well known high end name brands. The jackets (they've decided this year) should be too short in the sleeves and body- in fact they recommend buying a size too small! Remember last year all the high end jacket had very long sleeves- but apparently that isn't "classic"- you should by a jacket too small for the classic look. And their second NO NO (don't ever do this! was- well- here- you read the "rules":
• You are not Indiana Jones; leave the distressed brown leather bomber jacket to Harrison Ford.
• And on that note, those World War II tobacco-brown replica bombardier jackets? Absolutely not.
• No patches.
• Unless you just climbed off a Ducati, please refrain from padded, striped racing jackets.
• And remember, you’re not buying a leather coat, you’re buying a leather jacket. It should fit like one.
God- I feel powned- I've been doing this all wrong! Check out for yourselves the way a real jacket should look :lol: :lol:
00002f.jpg

00004f.jpg

00009f.jpg

00013f.jpg

00012f.jpg

Maybe we should reevaluate this whole obsession we have- I mean those jackets look amazing!
That would be San Fransisco attire.

A

Anonymous

p40:
Yes- but you know what the natives there say- all the fellas there come from everywhere else!

A

Anonymous

rotenhahn said:
p40:
Yes- but you know what the natives there say- all the fellas there come from everywhere else!
I will have to ask my sister about that one, she lives in Alameda, and works for Lawrence Livermore, which is close to your stopping grounds.

zoomer

I just love when Fashion Potentates purr their dictums in such a pat manner, with no rationale but "respect mah authoritay!" "This fall, your leathers shall be black or occasionally beige, look trashy and insubstantial, and their cut and fit shall be unbecoming to anyone other than a regulation modeling agency skinnymalink."

Personally, if my "tobacco brown bombardier jacket" means I am to be shunned socially by people who look like the gentleman pictured above, I would consider it a positive boon.

They do have a modest fallback position on the "no buttons" issue. In Italy, where A-1 knockoffs are common (usually in tan suede), they're regarded as slightly fuddy-duddy, like a kind of cardigan.

p40warhawk said:
rotenhahn said:
• No patches.
00002f.jpg

00004f.jpg

00009f.jpg

00013f.jpg

00012f.jpg

...On the contrary, you would see this "attire" in New York as well...

watchmanjimg

Leave it to the fashion industry to make $3000 look cheap--to say nothing of the three-dollar-bill modeling the stuff!

A

Anonymous

Hamsterbear said:
Damn, Jeff....
I posted this last week.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1634&start=0
Don't you read the forum?
What kind of pilot are you anyway????
Oh, that was another post..... :lol:
-B
I remembered someone posted it- but I didn't remember if they had the pictures. I saw the article yesterday while browsing in a store- pretty silly! Anyway- sorry to double post man. :oops:

DJS48

C.J.

Your "punch in the face" statement gave me a chuckle. To me it sounds so "Jersey." I grew up in South Jersey and left in 1968. And who really cares what "GQ" magzines has to say?

Regards,
Don

C.J.

mrchina said:
C.J.

Your "punch in the face" statement gave me a chuckle. To me it sounds so "Jersey." I grew up in South Jersey and left in 1968. And who really cares what "GQ" magzines has to say?

Regards,
Don

No sh!t? I'm in South Jersey too. Just outside of Atlantic City.

STEVE S.

if that article & pics is an indicator of the rest of the magazine, it explains one thing: "GQ" must be the abbreviation for "generally queer" ;) if not, it should....

the one good thing is the "buy small" suggestion. now i can start buying the originals in a size 38-40, which are cheaper & more abundant.