• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Hartmann has gone ballistic !

John Lever

The seller ended the auction early to sell at the current price but it's re-listed again by him with this BIN. How can this be ?

DiamondDave

It would seem that he had a "shill bid" go awry, and his shill actually won it. The bidding went to full term and should have been a done deal at 600 quid, but alas just another example of CAVEAT EMPTOR.

DD

John Lever

DiamondDave said:
It would seem that he had a "shill bid" go awry, and his shill actually won it. The bidding went to full term and should have been a done deal at 600 quid, but alas just another example of CAVEAT EMPTOR.

DD
If that's the case then that is worrying. He has sold some great jackets in the past and is on my favourite sellers list.
The non disclosure of bidders has always concerned me as it's easily abused.

Peter Graham

John Lever said:
DiamondDave said:

DD
If that's the case then that is worrying. He has sold some great jackets in the past and is on my favourite sellers list.
John, why are you surprised ? The seller is a well known crook. If I remember correctly, a while back he offered a jacket for sale that Andrew once owned. It had miraculously morphed into a geunine Luftwaffe jacket with added eppulette loops, stitch holes from the eagle etc. I challenged him on this and he threatened me with his lawyer !

m444uk

Peter Graham said:
John Lever said:
DiamondDave said:

DD
John, why are you surprised ? The seller is a well known crook. If I remember correctly, a while back he offered a jacket for sale that Andrew once owned. It had miraculously morphed into a geunine Luftwaffe jacket with added eppulette loops, stitch holes from the eagle etc. I challenged him on this and he threatened me with his lawyer !

And... the sewing of the loops is identical to his previous jackets. I've kept photos of his past auctions on photobucket because some of the leather jackets are the best ever made. It's outrageous he peppers them with stitch holes !
The irony is that jacket may well of been used by a pilot if that internal map pocket is a period addition. If.....

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
The seller is a well known crook. If I remember correctly, a while back he offered a jacket for sale that Andrew once owned. It had miraculously morphed into a geunine Luftwaffe jacket with added eppulette loops, stitch holes from the eagle etc. I challenged him on this and he threatened me with his lawyer !
He really needs exposing. It's one thing selling jackets and putting Luftwaffe in the subject to attract bidder but this kind of fakery is a crime. He should not just be thrown off eBay but should be prosecuted...not sure how one would go about getting him but reporting him to eBay with proof of his handiwork would surely be enough to get his account suspended for a start?

Hawkeye

No good. I've reported him to ebay several times, with no results. As long as ebay gets their cut from the inflated selling price of his jackets they wont give a damn.

Roughwear

I would have total confidence in buying from this guy. He guarantees the authenticity of the jacket and give his 100% guarantee in his own hand on paper that it was worn in air battles. :lol:

Seriously what he doesn't say is that he added the loops, shoulder buttons and the made stitch holes where the eagle "was". As with all the German bike jackets he sells at inflated prices he is not able to provide conclusive proof of providence. It's a nice jacket BTW, but not worth the sale price.

asiamiles

Hawkeye said:
No good. I've reported him to ebay several times, with no results. As long as ebay gets their cut from the inflated selling price of his jackets they wont give a damn.

Yet they'll remove a listing simply because it has the words "cash" and "cheque" in it!

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
There's no proof that it's a fake. All we have is his track record to go by.

Yes, it needed to be done with Andrew's jacket of which there was physical evidence of tampering.

m444uk

Here's a genuine late war outfit. Note the aged shoulder buttons, not the shiny nonsense our faker friend uses...

c7fcac56.jpg