• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Goldsmith A-2 By Headwind Mfg Co

33-1729

Again I think an actual example would have to be found. One could just offer the 1729 plus button flaps and pointy corner pockets with a different spec label, but I suspect the market is growing too picky for that.

A fair point. Given how the Goldsmith 31-1897 was tracked down on this forum I bet a Werber 32-6225 example could be found too. ;)

zoomer

we have actually been quite busy getting out orders for A-1's, 37J1's, and our most recent productions, An A-1 for Zoomer here on the forum ... made in our new smooth grain Capeskin.

Here it is, and here I am inside it. Very comfortable, highly wearable weight cape. Nice subtlety in the grain. Construction is very neat and feels sturdy. Finish is slightly sparkly, and knits a bit scratchy, but those things will go away in time.

IMG_3909.jpg IMG_3922.jpg IMG_3929.jpg IMG_3871.jpg

IMG_3948.jpg

Last edited:

zoomer

Detail shots...apologies for the color variance. To my eyes the very last shot, of the sleeve grain, best represents the finish & knit shades.

Labels & hanger. A few type quibbles, but nothing I would want to have to explain to an overseas vendor.
IMG_3974.jpg

Pockets are on-seam and are not sewn thru the liner. Originals varied, but often were not sewn thru.
IMG_3979.jpg

Double thickness flap. Some repros, i.e. Eastman, use fabric backing. Notice the greyish tone inside the buttonhole, an artifact of chrome tanning.
IMG_3980.jpg

Buttons are coin-shaped, with thin raised edges, not the usual dish shape with a round raised edge. Backing buttons are fairly large. I may change both out at some point.
IMG_3984.jpg

Shoulder yoke showing collar depth. The collar is comfortably sized even for my 18 1/2" neck, with plenty of overlap when buttoned (and I do button it when it's cold and windy).
IMG_3982.jpg

A couple views of the grain and finish. The chrome-tanned cape has a crepey softness and is starting to striate nicely around the arms and shoulders. There is a slight sparkle to the finish, which should go away with wear and exposure.
IMG_3983.jpg
IMG_3988.jpg

Last edited:

CBI

Looks great and congrats to all. I have an earlier Headwind A-1 and its a super jacket. Really very little difference between these and ELC's but for a huge price difference.

Skyhawk

Looking great Zoomer! I think it is a great fit. A very fair review as well.
I love our new Capeskin. It is actually the same hide just tanned differently to achieve a smoother grain. As you can see there is a lot of variation in grain. With some areas having no pebbling at all and areas of more defined grain. This is the advantage of being able to work with your tanner to have your hides processed to your specifications. We have a
great relationship with them and they are willing to tweak the colors and graining until we have a hide we are happy with.

The label is not perfect and will be changed eventually. However, we are very close and got some of the details on it that others missed. Note that the text size changes from line to line. If you review the photos of the original you will see this variation: (I will not post the photo as it is not my property but it is easily found)

Other makers made all the text the same size and that is not correct.

The top line is the largest text with a slightly wider and taller font. The 2nd & 3rd lines are slightly smaller than the first line and are the same size. The bottom line is the smallest. I think the only thing to change on our label is the 1's have hats but should just be a line.

Regards,
Jay

johnwayne

Interesting the pocket flap is leather underneath, any particular reason? Also why no one else other than GW and SFA (now Norshor) go for the raw edge, triple stitched seams on the sleeves and back as seen on originals!

Skyhawk

Interesting the pocket flap is leather underneath, any particular reason? Also why no one else other than GW and SFA (now Norshor) go for the raw edge, triple stitched seams on the sleeves and back as seen on originals!

The pocket is a simple oversight that was never changed. It may be changed in the future. The sleeve seam matches the original Gordon & Ferguson contract and is correct for this reproduction. The GW A-1 jacket is a great jacket but it is not a reproduction of any specific contract. It is a house version comprised of details from different contracts. Not sure about the Norshore A-1.

Regards,
Jay

Skyhawk

Update:

The zippers arrived yesterday! We are working on the final test jacket right now. When complete, I will post photos and the jacket will be put into production.

We still have pre-order jackets available at a discount on the site.
http://www.headwindmfg.com/goldsmith.html

Once the test jacket is completed and I am satisfied with it, the deal ends and the jacket will be available to order at our final retail price. Time frame should be in the range of 2 weeks from today.

Best Regards,
Jay

B-Man2

Update:

The zippers arrived yesterday! We are working on the final test jacket right now. When complete, I will post photos and the jacket will be put into production.

We still have pre-order jackets available at a discount on the site.
http://www.headwindmfg.com/goldsmith.html

Once the test jacket is completed and I am satisfied with it, the deal ends and the jacket will be available to order at our final retail price. Time frame should be in the range of 2 weeks from today.

Best Regards,
Jay
Hi Jay
Since it’s been a while, and I’m a little confused,
And ..... I’m not able to open the above link ,
would you please tell me what jacket your referring to the Goldsmith or the Sat. Also what is the price of those jackets pre production vs production models.
Thanks