• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Fuehrer's Face-information needed

Roughwear

Does anyone know if the 570th BS based at Framlingham had a B-17 called the The Fuehrer's Face. I know there was a 1943 cartoon which was popular in the War and own a jacket with the 570th patch on the front and a wonderful cartoon of the Fuehrer's face and Donald Duck on the back. The jacket dates from 1943-5 and was made by Central Sportswear of Boston. The art work is appears to be original.

062-1.jpg

049-1.jpg

050.jpg

051.jpg

052.jpg

054-1.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

059-1.jpg

063-1.jpg

065-1.jpg

061-2.jpg

TankBuster

I have this Bomb Groups history book at home. I can check for you when I get home from work this evening and let you know.

TankBuster

I didn't find anything in the 390th bomb group history book, or on their site regarding a B-17 with this name or anything close to it.

I did however find this listing for a B-17 with the name, but I haven't looked into it further.

In der Fuehrers Face" B-17 42-29955

Roughwear

bombs away said:
Hello Andrew,

I have this book listing 8200 B-17 names and no one was named this way.
4324353057_0a784c9e77.jpg

This doesn't mean this B-17 has never existed but it's a first step.

By the way, have a look to this jacket now selling on ebay :
http://cgi.ebay.com/VTG-LEATHER-JACKET- ... 3a5eb6330f
It is exactly the same art as yours (and same zipper too!).

Tim.

Thanks Tim. I saw the above jacket. The art work is very recent and probably copied from my jacket when it was on Ebay. The jacket though is from the same date as mine, however mine did not come from Thailand, but from a seller in London. I really do not like seeing vintage jackets with recent nose art painted on them as it would be easy to age the paintwork and sell it on as a 100% original. :evil:

Roughwear

TankBuster said:
I didn't find anything in the 390th bomb group history book, or on their site regarding a B-17 with this name or anything close to it.

I did however find this listing for a B-17 with the name, but I haven't looked into it further.

In der Fuehrers Face" B-17 42-29955

Thanks Jeff. It does seem possible that my jacket belonged to a crew member from this B-17, but I would like conclusive evidence to be sure.

bombs away

I haven't looked at "in" der fuehrer's face in my book.
So now I've found one B-17 name like this but it was in the 94th BG, 331st BS.
B-17 #42-29727

Tim

Andrew

The artwork is excellent and certainly looks period.

Off topic, Tim you should post a thread just on your photostream link- that really is fantastic. How come you're selling "Hippo"?

bombs away

Andrew said:
Off topic, Tim you should post a thread just on your photostream link- that really is fantastic. How come you're selling "Hippo"?

Hi Andrew,
Thank you for your kind words about the photostream, but I'm not sure it gets lot of interest here as 95% of members are jackets lovers only (which is perfectly normal on a forum dedicated to vintage jackets !).
And for the "Hippo" jacket, the only reason why I sell it is the worst reason : I need the cash for extra Usaaf expenses unfortunately. I hate to let it go and sincerly hope it will find a new good home.

Tim

dujardin

and now she's minnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne

receive today the 31 dec, great gift.... for the end of year

will post photos probably on sunday

happy new year to all of youuuuu

marcel

dujardin

she is now on a buste in my living room
2011_010120100430bis0003.jpg

pitty i don't intend to wear her, she fit me perfectly
jac1.png

jac2.png

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
marcel

better duck

Looks good on you Marcel, but you are right not wearing it. One of the reasons being, 'we' over here are still quite sensitive about showing pics and symbols of the Nazi era, even an obvious cartoon like version of Hitler like we have here.

dujardin

I haven't looked at "in" der fuehrer's face in my book.
So now I've found one B-17 name like this but it was in the 94th BG, 331st BS.
B-17 #42-29727

Tim

wowwwwwwww already 8 years since this post was created

i came back on this one because i think i will sell it - regarding the confusion-discussion on this jacket it could be hard to get my $$$ back

in answer to Tim; i don't think it's the same B-17
not the same unit and nose art is surely not the same
but maybe this plane change his nose art
https://b17flyingfortress.de/en/b17/42-29727-in-der-fuehrers-face/

see you next - if i decide to finally start the selling - what do you think ?????

Tommy

When I saw the art, I didn't see Donald and the pie, I thought it was a cartoon to show what Adolf looked like in the very last moments of his life. I thought Donald was a pistol for a split second?

Anyway great cartoon, lovely (and interesting choice of) jacket. Guess they couldn't bring the A2 back home!