• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Eastman story

Persimmon

Interesting article.
This was flagged up a few years back.
Built is a U.K. motorcycle magazine featuring the more retro bikes with lots of hipster chap’s with beards.
I have the magazine and I and one of those chaps with the bike as well.

Smithy

Virgil Hintz?
Isn’t he a long lost cousin on his mother’s side to Virgil Hilts?;)

Lazy journalism. A quick squiz through the article shows Buzz Rickson is spelt Rixon as well. Obviously the typewriter-wallah can't have been too au fait with what he was writing about.

Officer Dibley

Interesting article.
This was flagged up a few years back.
Built is a U.K. motorcycle magazine featuring the more retro bikes with lots of hipster chap’s with beards.
I have the magazine and I and one of those chaps with the bike as well.

Truedat. Many things have been done to death on VLJ in the past: collars, tunnelling, "the look" etc, etc but won't stop us still doing them further to death :D Quicker to post this anew than waste my life looking everywhere to see if it was posted in 2008 or whenever.
I hadn't seen this before and thought some others might not and would enjoy the background. Some seem to have.
As for the typo's, who here hasn't had fat fingers ? And an editor will not be necessarily au fait with nouns. The grammar as spot-on ! To be honest, most of the target audience will not care a jot about the mis-spellings. They just need to know Eastman is where they need to go to get one of those cool jackets. And we Brits are as patriotic and keen to "home-buy" as any Yank is to buy GW :) So why buy from "Fuzz Rockson" ? ;)

MikeyB-17

I first heard of Gary in the mid-90’s through a mate who was a pilot. He had met Gary and already had one of his A-2’s, which I believe he bought when Gary was visiting airfields selling jackets. Up until then I only had mall jackets, but after that I ordered a catalogue and started saving for an Eastman A-2. I finally got one in 1997. Soon after that I bought a computer, discovered jacket forums, and it was all downhill from there.

Marv

Brad Pitt's character in Fury didn't wear an A1 or a Hartmann, as we all know, that was Scott Eastman's character Sgt Miles so some discrepancies in the article there.

Officer Dibley

I think we can say those errors are not due to Gary nor do - or at least should....- that detract from the Eastman story :rolleyes:

People sweating the small shit by getting wrapped up in the details and missing the big picture on VLJ ..? Never ! :D

zoomer

ELC leads the pack in my jacket arsenal. I own eleven, all bought secondhand (and several still fit me!!!)