• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The collar

A

Anonymous

There seeem to be two configurations. In the first, (photo 1) the left side to the collar starts from the middle of the storm flap while in the other it starts just above the zipper seam (photo 2)

Photo 1

stormflapcollaroi5.jpg

Photo 2

vtf00133hv7.jpg

Which one you guys think is best?
Which one you prefer?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
The difference is more because photo #1 is the earlier design with a collar stand.

I prefer the second one, although the collar stand may be more elegant, the simple collar sits better.

bfrench

Administrator
deeb7 said:
The difference is more because photo #1 is the earlier design with a collar stand.

I prefer the second one, although the collar stand may be more elegant, the simple collar sits better.

David is bang on there about the types and fit.

For a real easy cheap comparison get a golf shirt where the collar is sewn directly to the body and then a dress shirt with a collar stand with the collar sewn to it.

They both have a close approximation of how the jacket collars will fit on you.

After all - these jackets were to be worn almost as a heavy shirt.

Bill French

A

Anonymous

I understand about the fit.
However, I am trying to understand which of the two styles is more popular among A-2 enthusiasts.

Roughwear

PLATON said:
However, I am trying to understand which of the two styles is more popular among A-2 enthusiasts.

I believe we have had a discussion about collars with and without collar stands before on an earlier version of the forum. For me I perfer collar stands, but the shape of the collar is more important.

bfrench

Administrator
PLATON said:

I prefer collar stands but a lot of the guys like the non-stand type as they were probably more numerous as issued later during WWII and the collar on some types lays flatter and doesn't dig into the lower chin.

But to get the pre-war look - go collar stand.

Bill French

CBI

Collar Stand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really don't like the collars that lie flat (which is what often happens w/o the stand over time. I think the stand makes the collar more flattering for the wearer.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
CBI said:
I really don't like the collars that lie flat (which is what often happens w/o the stand over time.

Well not to mine, no sign of that happening yet anyway. :)

My problem with the collar stand, is that it causes the collar to sit out from the back of the neck, leaving a gap. That's why I changed from Rough Wear to Dubow, after my first 'trying on trip', to Real McCoy.

I guess it would be somewhere to keep the newspaper, and now you all think I'm the Hunchback of Notre Dame, but I don't think the problem's peculiar to me. Collar stands stick up, backs slope.

And Platon, with all your questions about the minutiae of A-2's, and where to buy RAU fasteners etc ..... are you planning to build us the ultimate jacket from our answers?

A

Anonymous

And Platon, with all your questions about the minutiae of A-2's, and where to buy RAU fasteners etc ..... are you planning to build us the ultimate jacket from our answers?

Sounds like he's planning to make A2 copies!

Hi,
Perhaps I would try to make copies of A-2 if I knew you would support me guys. But I guess it would not be easy to do it. The reason I am asking all those question is because I am planning to order a custom made to my specs A-2 from John Chapman. So I am just trying to choose what details to use (ask for).

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
PLATON said:
.... The reason I am asking all those question is because I am planning to order a custom made to my specs A-2 from John Chapman. So I am just trying to choose what details to use (ask for).

With ordering an A-2, there really isn't one correct answer, so you need to go with the contract that YOU like. (You can always order another one later).

As for the details of that contract, there's no one better than John himself to advise you.

I mean you don't want a jacket designed by a committee ... well certainly not this committee.

Tim P

OH flat collar every time. I loathe having things pressing my neck. BTW McCoys Dubow is superb.

A

Anonymous

Well I think you guys like A-2s too much.
Maybe I should try to make a A-2 repros.
All I need is some originals to copy the pattern from, some impossible to find horsehide, impossible to find mil spec zippers, impossible to find wool knit cuffs, impossible to find mil spec labels, impossible to find cotton liner, impossible to find mil spec snaps. Then I will start looking for impossible to find customers. Well, if it's not impossible then it's not a good challenge anyway.

Piece of cake huh, why not?

shanghai joe

PLATON said:
Well I think you guys like A-2s too much.
Maybe I should try to make a A-2 repros.
All I need is some originals to copy the pattern from, some impossible to find horsehide, impossible to find mil spec zippers, impossible to find wool knit cuffs, impossible to find mil spec labels, impossible to find cotton liner, impossible to find mil spec snaps. Then I will start looking for impossible to find customers. Well, if it's not impossible then it's not a good challenge anyway.

Piece of cake huh, why not?

go get em tiger!..........and have fun!