• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Collar/Windflap/Zipper intersection- various repros compared to original Aeros- 21996,18775 and 15142

KariJ

Hugo Boss was deeply in the mil stuff at catwalk level; a banned member once started a thread on the looks of uniforms as designed by Hugo Boss for a certain empire.
Just sayin' that Hugo B. is not so good an example ;) .
I know Thatswhy I referred to Him :)

Technonut2112

The only "related and rational" picture I have seen here in this context was the picture of M38 offset collar. There was rational ratio of discussion -> "why it is made like that". The rest of this so called "discussion" is in my opinion just against Mr Calder's business and without no real historical background of understanding the "needs and purposes of war". I really would welcome any of these logistical genies to my unit that goes to "war".

Business is business and in niche area that can be really harsh. In a way knowing that "business" where gowt issues are really used, I really can not raise my hat to all comments issued here.
Maybe seeing too many "authentic issue labels".
In my opinion if leather jackets made my Mr Calder were needed in some "operational theatre" I would buy those if needed.
Without a context of war, ww2, lack of resources, needs of airforce, and in last phase lack of money, We really can not understand why those jackets inside one pattern or "order" are different. They are just because they are

One should also ask before raising a blaming finger "Is Mr Calders jackets something that would have been accepted by inspector during WW2" Im not a procecutor but let those guys who are banging the issue specs say "why rejected"

What you do or wear in military service or war is none of my concern or business... My interest is discussing vintage leather jackets and any details pertaining to the hobby. That is why many of us are here. You are offering nothing pertinent to the current topic of discussion unless you have some information to add regarding 'The Collar / Windflap / Zipper intersection- Various Repros Compared to Original Aeros - 21196, 18775, and 14152" discussion with your interest and knowledge of the specific subject... Otherwise, YOU are the individual trolling here off-topic...

KariJ

What you do or wear in military service or war is none of my concern or business... My interest is discussing vintage leather jackets and any details pertaining to the hobby. That is why many of us are here. You are offering nothing pertinent to the current topic of discussion unless you have some information to add regarding 'The Collar / Windflap / Zipper intersection- Various Repros Compared to Original Aeros - 21196, 18775, and 14152" discussion with your interest and knowledge of the specific subject... Otherwise, YOU are the individual trolling here off-topic...
Thank for Your opinion. I quess the source of trolling was somewhere before my representations of opinions. I respect Your opinion. And I am sorry I couldnt say my point related to military clear enough.
K

ausreenactor

It's nothing new. Same old same old. Jeff needs to realise the GW era here is over. It's Ken and Aero today, wait for the Headwind and AVI critiques. When DD gets a jacket or two out wait for the adulation posts and arguments. No good can come out of this.

'You have been warned!'

ausreenactor

We all are Grant. And it is a robust manner in which to reintroduce yourself after a long time on the sidelines.

Platon offered a lot of technical input too. It was his interaction style that led to his demise, same could be said for Sean.

Baffled...

The majority of posts these days are tied to jacket related imagery and mid range jacket purchases and adorning same....

The days of the 'holy grail' A-2 are over.

Srahimian24

Afternoon gents

So I do not post on this forum a ton, but wish to offer my 2 cents.

Personally, I am really big into the small details, so if I am going to buy a repro A2, then I want the jacket maker to copy the details of the originals as close as possible. From what I can see there are makers here who try to stick to those details to the letter "flaws" and all and others that don't. That's fine, some people may not be interested enough in those details to care. That being said, I think its helpful to know which makers stick to those details and which do not.

From what I can tell, and from what I have seen personally, Aero is not the most detailed A2 you can buy, and if someone wishes to recognize that then thats fine. There is no need for anyone to take insult in recognizing that fact and jab at each other. Just my 2 cents

ZuZu

Aren't you working exclusively for DiamonDave?
Aren't you working exclusively for DiamonDave?

No- I swear on the life of my mother I do not know Diamond Dave. I did not know of his and Daddy Ken's feud. And I certainly did not know that it's "...Ken and Aero today..."!!!???
No- I knew none of this. If I had I think I would have been meaner. Seriously though- look at the pictures- a thousand words and all that!

Brettafett

Constructive criticism, respectfully communicated. Yes please. We're all here to learn and share...
If you know about something or have something critical to contribute, by all means, offer to help. Offer suggestions to improve. If the maker is clever, they'd at least look into it.

It actually takes a lot to make a leather jacket and is NOT easy! To make a really good repro... even more so. Kudos to those who do.
Considering what's involved in this endeavour, respect is due. As jacket fans and collectors, we are lucky to have these folks, all of them.

As my interests lie more in military flight jackets, this forum is where I've found the most like-minded folk. There are other forums more civvie orientated.
The great thing about this forum is that it discusses both vintage, as well as repro jackets (and the genre in general). And how they compare.

Nothing beats the original of anything. If you don't want an original 70 to 80 year old jacket, you have to settle for a reproduction.
These vary in detail and quality, from low to high-end. High-end or top-tier jackets are attempts to copy and clone an original jacket, as exactly as possible. (Including the pattern being copied off an original jacket, which has been taken apart and studied. Details carefully copied and components replicated, as closely as possible...)

All depends on what you are personally interested in and looking for, right?
Not everyone wants or needs one these top-tier jackets, but those that do, for their own reasons... pay a lot of money for them... and as such, should expect the advertised and claimed details to be present and accounted for.
If one is interested in this level of detail, then GW, ELC, BK, Platon, DD and such... come very, very close. These, in themselves can never make an original WW2 jacket, but they have all put a LOT into creating the very best, most accurate and faithful reproductions as possible.

Other makers more or less so.
Hence one of the purposes of this forum. What makes these jackets so special? why the interest anyway? what are the differences between WW2 contracts, that make them all unique? where can I find a good, better, best repro? etc...
If you are not interested in the details, and not everyone is... there are many other makers that offer less authentic detailing, often at the same price points.

For me personally, besides being a hobby, wearing these jackets, in some small way honours that generation. And the more I've learned over the years, the more important the details have become.

Silver Surfer

all of these posts regarding repro accuracy vs originals brings to mind, what then is accuracy even within originals. here are a coupla pix of an original rough wear 1401-p, and as you can easily see, the pockets and flaps are a "little" out of whack. one collar lobe is slightly longer the the other, also. how many repro buyers would accept a new jacket with these "anomalies"? the usaac and usaaf did.

Attachments

• IMG_2845.JPG
    IMG_2845.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2846.JPG
    IMG_2846.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2847.JPG
    IMG_2847.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2848.JPG
    IMG_2848.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 174
Last edited:

B-Man2

all of these posts regarding repro accuracy vs originals brings to mind, what then is accuracy even within originals. here aare a coupla pix of an original rough wear 1401-p, and as you can easily see, the pockets and flaps are a "little" out of whack. one collar lobe is slightly longer the the other, also. how many repro buys would accept a new jacket with these "anomalies"? the usaac and usaaf did.
If somebody made a repro and sold it with those flaws ... there’d be blood in the water. But we continuously forget that these jackets were made as survival gear. Imperfections were a daily occurrence. That’s why all of these conversations about the minutia of the X stitching on an epaulette is lost on me. Now having said that, I fully understand that’s one mans opinion, and the criticism is driven by wanting to make the jackets look more accurate and authentic . But around here We sometimes swallow elephants and choke on fleas. We accept the faux “Time Worn” finishes created with a patch of sand paper, that look nothing like an authentic original A2 and pay for the privilege of owning one. (Here comes the disclaimer again)
Once again guys just my humble opinion again, and I’m OK with anyone who has other thoughts or disagrees with me.

Smithy

all of these posts regarding repro accuracy vs originals brings to mind, what then is accuracy even within originals. here aare a coupla pix of an original rough wear 1401-p, and as you can easily see, the pockets and flaps are a "little" out of whack. one collar lobe is slightly longer the the other, also. how many repro buys would accept a new jacket with these "anomalies"? the usaac and usaaf did.

It's like I mentioned several times before, there's four original A-2s at the museum and every single one of them has pockets out of whack. One side being slightly higher than the other, around 1cm or half an inch in most cases, and/or the pocket flaps being over or undersized for the pocket. They all also have wonky stitching in places and the studs are not precisely aligned either.

s4rmark

Now, if I received a jacket from ANY of the repro manufacturer’s and it had the aforementioned faults would I send it back ? Yes, of course I would and I would be very surprised if anyone would be happy to keep it in the interests of historical accuracy. I mean , you pay high Dollar for these products and if it’s not perfectly aligned I know it would definitely bug me. But maybe thats just me.