• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Cockpit Magazine (catalog)

Pa12

Can’t remember when I first discovered Eastman, but at the time it seemed like an obscene amount of money and way beyond my means. I think I got my first elc around 2007

Chandler

I discovered Eastman through History Preservation Associates and their ads in flight magazines. Ordered up the "catalog" -- pre-golden book folder of single sheet ad slicks and a board with leather and fabric samples.

After my Flight Apparel Industries turd, and the Avirex I was never truly happy with (fit weird and I knew the pockets were too close to the zip), I was impressed with the authenticity being advertised by HPA & ELC. Got my RW 1401 about 1995, or so.

But yeah, saved up -- but I was thrilled with the jacket when it came. I still own (and wear) it.

Pa12

A “cockpit” product I bought waaaay back when we still bought books.View attachment 81688View attachment 81689View attachment 81690
Had looked at this book in at least 20 years. Just went through it and realized it’s pretty shitty. Lots of pictures of originals but not a single reference to who made them. In fact the only picture of a label I saw was an Avirex one. Obviously alluding to there only being one unknown maker of the originals and only one company building replicas. Avirex ;)

Pa12

I discovered Eastman through History Preservation Associates and their ads in flight magazines. Ordered up the "catalog" -- pre-golden book folder of single sheet ad slicks and a board with leather and fabric samples.

After my Flight Apparel Industries turd, and the Avirex I was never truly happy with (fit weird and I knew the pockets were too close to the zip), I was impressed with the authenticity being advertised by HPA & ELC. Got my RW 1401 about 1995, or so.

But yeah, saved up -- but I was thrilled with the jacket when it came. I still own (and wear) it.
That’s right! Now I remember. I had the catalog with all the “swatches “.

Pa12

Can’t remember why but for some reason it was cheaper for me to order from Eastman then history preservation.

Pa12

My first elc was the house hh. Looking back, it was a beautiful jacket. Unfortunately with this learning curve , there’s also an addiction for authenticity. So I sold that jacket and bought their rw 1401

Pa12

So if someone comes along that builds better jackets then John (can’t see that being possible) for christs sake don’t tell me.

Chandler

Can’t remember why but for some reason it was cheaper for me to order from Eastman then history preservation.
At that time HPA was the only agent in the US for ELC -- and the only way to get an ELC jacket. Was probably different in Canada, I suspect.

MauldinFan

Besides the book and 2 jackets, a crusher, leather flying tigers patch and a few other trinkets.
I'd forgotten I bought both of their crushers until I read this. The summer cotton one wasn't bad, I can't recall what I did with it and I wish I still had it. The winter one was off for color, sold that once I realized how off it was.
I have such a massive cranium, couldn't find originals that would fit even then.

Pa12

I'd forgotten I bought both of their crushers until I read this. The summer cotton one wasn't bad, I can't recall what I did with it and I wish I still had it. The winter one was off for color, sold that once I realized how off it was.
I have such a massive cranium, couldn't find originals that would fit even then.
Have the olive one still packed away somewhere

MauldinFan

In the 80s, I was a teenager and I essentially studied all those shots in the catalog.
One shot I always marveled at I guess was for a flight suit and the shot they had was of a model standing next to an F4 on a ramp, with what I remember as a camo HGU 33 helmet under his arm. I'd always wondered about how they managed to get that shot, assuming it was at a Air National Guard base, which would be an easy place to find a Phantom ready to fly.

ES335

Can’t remember when I first discovered Eastman, but at the time it seemed like an obscene amount of money and way beyond my means. I think I got my first elc around 2007
Same here. After a truely terrible "distressed" A-2 mall jacket in the late 80's, I found ELC's website and catalogue in 2002. At the time, I think $600. or so seemed outrageous and beyond my means as well. Not knowing better I settled on a Gibson & Barnes for $400. from the Flight Suits website. But I still have that jacket, it's served me well for what it is. I got my first ELC last year. It won't be my last.