• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Cockpit Magazine (catalog)

Nickb123

So how do you think I should document these pieces of history? There are so many that I'm not going to attempt to scan them (nevermind my scanner sucks).

I'm going to lay out the first handful and snap a pic, but I'm not sure how to share them.

There’s a useful app called Genius Scan. Use it all the time for mass scannings. You use your phone camera and it generates a scan you can save and share.

Juanito

I used to love visiting their store. Lots of great jackets really with some older earlier jackets looking quite good.
Unfortunately, I never made it to their store until 1998, which as someone mentioned earlier, was way past their prime.

Juanito

I'll have to take your word for "chrome tanned and pigment finished," but I'm not sure how you came by that info -- I haven't seen it in the descriptions in my catalogs yet.
It comes from owning two of them purchased new in that era. They can't be anything but that.

B-Man2

So how do you think I should document these pieces of history? There are so many that I'm not going to attempt to scan them (nevermind my scanner sucks).

I'm going to lay out the first handful and snap a pic, but I'm not sure how to share them.
Yeah …. I’m probably the wrong guy to ask on this. I would simply take photos of a few pages that you think would be interesting and then post those.

Silver Surfer

Ahhhhhhthe early am memory jog. Jeff, not jay is was the name of the owner. Jeff clyman,I think. North Of the avirex store-factory, was a huge ground floor army-navy store that had literally tons of wwll surplus gear.

Juanito

Ahhhhhhthe early am memory jog. Jeff, not jay is was the name of the owner. Jeff clyman,I think. North Of the avirex store-factory, was a huge ground floor army-navy store that had literally tons of wwll surplus gear.
Yes, there was--even in 1998-99 they had some WWII sheepsking flying gear. Terrible shape, but at least they had some.

Pa12

A “cockpit” product I bought waaaay back when we still bought books.
5526EEE3-8115-4D75-83BA-2C4A1649BB62.jpeg
174C2FC9-FED4-471C-B747-60078FFE4B28.jpeg
EF17C7AA-2D26-4272-9516-DB3D792959F5.jpeg

Chandler

Oh yeah. Good marketing and being the only game in town, probably did pretty well for himself.
Maybe not the only (just saw a late 80s or early 90s ad for Lost Worlds in one of my old flying magazines), but certainly the biggest, boldest advertiser.

Chandler

Hell … those are as collectible as anything else I’m guessing.
Yeah... gotta wonder.

Anyone want to make an offer? ;)

The bad thing is, the majority of them within one year (maybe more) are identical -- except for the covers. You see some subtle changes as time goes on, but nothing huge.

Then toward the late 90s they look like they're competing with the Willis & Geiger catalog -- fancier photography and layout. Speaking of which, I haven't come across any of those yet. Hmm.

Last edited:

Pa12

Me. Clyman got a few bucks out of me in the 80’s. Besides the book and 2 jackets, a crusher, leather flying tigers patch and a few other trinkets.

Pa12

I gave my original 1985 russet cowhide a-2 to my sister in-law in 88. She still has it and it’s still in great shape.

Chandler

Never had their hh version. I was so pissed off with the second cowhide one I went for a hh Gibson and Barnes next.
Was it G&B or Flight Suits? My HH was Flight Suits*, and I got a goatskin tagged G&B -- one of the first as they were transitioning.

* @tda003 -- owns that FS now -- how's the break-in going? ;). Thing is tough as nails!