• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black Sheep Irvin - Coming Soon from Aero

D97x7

Pleased with that, cheers Ken
ResizerImage1600X2400.jpg

B-Man2

Nick
Absolutely love the jacket . The photo looks like the jacket is just a shade small on you. I’ve seen your other Irvin’s and they look like they’re a bit larger. Am I looking at this incorrectly or is the fit spot on in your opinion?

D97x7

I can't deny it does feel a little snugger than my others, but not excessively so. It certainly doesn't feel tight anywhere wearing this heavy t-shirt underneath although I don't think a roll neck would work. It's the same size as my other Aero Irvin so i think maybe it just needs a little time to settle in.
Here's a few more pics after I've been knocking around in it for a couple of hours.
ResizerImage1600X240002.jpg ResizerImage1600X240003.jpg ResizerImage1600X240004.jpg ResizerImage1600X240005.jpg

Pilot

Maybe I will get stoned for that...Try a HWT....and wear it during the last drying phase....with a thick swearshirt.

The fleece will become more “vintage curly” and the jacket will adjust and still be large enough... also put some leather treatment on the outside to keep it soft and pliable during the last drying moments....my 0,1 cent input.

Last edited:

ZuZu

So …. I’m confused .. Is Aero going to start making these again?
If so …. Can I suggest that they use the chocolate brown fleece which is a more accurate representation of the original “Black Fleece “ Irvin .

View attachment 132229
Man- these black Irvins are the coolest by far of all the shearling WW2 jackets IMO. Irvins in general to me are far more interesting than the B Series and ANJ jackets of the USAAF. B Man is right- the fur color is too black on the Aero (still a great repro to me) and the fur is more texturally interesting on the original in this photo. Also- to me the shoulders on the Aero IUrvins look a bit too square- the Eastman Irvins have a more accurate outline. All the Irvin repros made today have an inaccurate proportion between sleeve and body- sleeves too short I think. Also- I think the shoulders on repros are generally too narrow compared to originals- if they were wider they might drape a bit better.

I am DEFINITELY NOT an expert on these- the first model pictures posted by Aero medelled by Ken look like a closer copy.

Smithy

So …. I’m confused .. Is Aero going to start making these again?
If so …. Can I suggest that they use the chocolate brown fleece which is a more accurate representation of the original “Black Fleece “ Irvin .

View attachment 132229

That was what put me off the Aero repro - the fleece was far too black. I have a suspicion that their fleece was dyed whereas originals were from actual black sheep and have the tonal variation that the sheep have.

Smithy

Andrew and I swapped loads of photos of originals back in the day as I went through a stage where I was very interested in them.

And Jeff as I have pronounced here previously - Irvins are the coolest flying jacket bar none :cool:

Smithy

The fleece was definitely dyed, black sheep are actually dark brown, there' a few in a field just up the road from me that I keep eyeing them with bad intent ;)

That's what I thought from the pics of them Nick. Shame they didn't source actual black sheep fleeces although perhaps the cost was prohibitive.

Might be a project for Gary and the boys at Ivybridge.