• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Best Advice You'll EVER get! Guaranteed

jeremiah

This is crazy. I’m new here but do you all truly believe Ken posted this to try and sell something to us? He posted it to give us advise on another’s point of view on how to store a leather jacket.

No. People just like to have some fun and then have a beer together. You should have seen the up kilt thread with Platon a few weeks ago.

Dover

Thanks Ken for the advice. I will admit my jacket was hanging from the "wrong" hanger.
I nearly left work early after reading the thread and rushed home. :eek:
All is well now and no damage done. Once again, thanks.

Dr H

There’s a bigger risk of tearing, particularly on older jackets (particularly true of older shearling).

Ken at Aero Leather

Out of curiosity....what about hanging jackets on the hanger that's above the label?
There’s a bigger risk of tearing, particularly on older jackets (particularly true of older shearling).

Tearing is virtually guaranteed if it's a sheepskin, I wouldn't keep anything heavier than a D-1 on a hanger

It'll pull and crease an A-2 but it probably wouldn't tear the leather except on a frail vintage example

Best not to risk it

robrinay

I hang my lighter jackets on these - Dunelm Mill - when they have them in a couple of quid each. Heavier and more fragile ones live in a drawer
E8555B08-0B3F-4F8C-959E-8C34302638BD.jpeg
4F157178-6FB5-4406-825F-BD3C5505232D.jpeg
92F22C3D-DC62-4952-AD72-3FF8578EE11F.jpeg

ps the best thing about advice - it’s optional so chill!

jeremiah

Sorry you feel this way Dave. I happen to think this forum is the best one I am a part of.

I didn’t join that long ago but remember when it was less active when I joined. Care to share what made this forum great in your opinion and “sucketh” now? Not being smart, just an honest question to your post.

I have learned a lot here myself and met some swell people. I admit I don’t contribute to this place as much as others and as much as I wish I could. I have the passion but sadly don’t possess the vast knowledge and experience with these artifacts and their repros. I know I love them, love to wear them and love to talk with others who do too. I can’t tell you how rare it is to meet someone along my daily path who shares the same passion with me. My wife tolerates it, but she thinks I am weird as I sit watching Netflix wearing these things because now I live in Mississippi.
Anyway that’s my opinion.

Last edited:

Edward

I'm weirder than you Jeremiah! Having a few A-2 jackets wasn't good enough... I wanted the other stuffs the crew wore! (my hobby has gotten 0ut of hand.. I mean Underwear? LOL!) I love learning and chatting about A-2 jackets but it goes beyond that for me.
I have to limit my interest to only 1942/43 ETO Eighth Air Forces just so I don't go crazy collecting stuff... but even with that limitation their is so much gear and clothing! trying to avoid spending big bucks on Shearling lined B-3/B-6 jackets and A-3 leather pants, electric blue bunny suit etc. lol!
its enough to just buy throat mics, HS-33 headsets, caps, gloves etc... today I purchased an authentic Army Air Forces June 3, 1943 B-4 Life preserver with the Dye Marker pack still attached. Its in excellent shape! (beats the B-3 reproduction because its REAL! LOL!) I also have an authentic B-2 sheepskin leather cap in excellent condition... hard to find my size but finally found a Size 7 made by Werber Sportswear Co. Newburgh, N.Y. should be here this weekend. I could have gotten a quality repro but I got the vintage real deal!
So for me the A-2 is just the start of it and I am having a blast exploring all the other aspects of the crew gear and enjoy the "Related Gear" forum thread.
The AN-6513 QAC parachute harness is an exact reproduction of the early war harness using original period snap hooks hardware. I got it from www.theriggerdepot.com. a bit pricey but worth every penny to complete my early war summer gear impression. The A-4 flight suit is an authentic NOS 1942 that I was able to get for the same price as the modern repros being produced! I'm a USAAF GEEK and Proud of it! LOL!

IMG_1484.JPG
IMG_1471.JPG

2081846_orig.jpg
4533631_orig.jpg

dmar836

I love it when ppl share info and all but an aweful lot of taking someone to task over every little thing posted. I get it as I’m often tempted and usually jump in too(particularly with the troll types) but I’m trying to let things slide a bit as I would if we were each talking face to face over a pint. It’s an internet thing - not a VLJ thing. I just hate to see there is no escaping it.
There’s too much in this world to learn and do to get bogged down by another’s opinion on our first world problems.
Rant over,
Dave

Dover

I love it when ppl share info and all but an aweful lot of taking someone to task over every little thing posted. I get it as I’m often tempted and usually jump in too(particularly with the troll types) but I’m trying to let things slide a bit as I would if we were each talking face to face over a pint. It’s an internet thing - not a VLJ thing. I just hate to see there is no escaping it.
There’s too much in this world to learn and do to get bogged down by another’s opinion on our first world problems.
Rant over,
Dave
Totally agree Dave it is an internet thing and not special to this forum. That being said there is a wealth of information around here for newbies like myself.
I would hate to see guys like you who have been around a long time and have a lot to share walk away. So I'm raising a pint to you. Keep the faith!;)

Carl

I'm weirder than you Jeremiah! Having a few A-2 jackets wasn't good enough... I wanted the other stuffs the crew wore! (my hobby has gotten 0ut of hand.. I mean Underwear? LOL!) I love learning and chatting about A-2 jackets but it goes beyond that for me.
I have to limit my interest to only 1942/43 ETO Eighth Air Forces just so I don't go crazy collecting stuff... but even with that limitation their is so much gear and clothing! trying to avoid spending big bucks on Shearling lined B-3/B-6 jackets and A-3 leather pants, electric blue bunny suit etc. lol!
its enough to just buy throat mics, HS-33 headsets, caps, gloves etc... today I purchased an authentic Army Air Forces June 3, 1943 B-4 Life preserver with the Dye Marker pack still attached. Its in excellent shape! (beats the B-3 reproduction because its REAL! LOL!) I also have an authentic B-2 sheepskin leather cap in excellent condition... hard to find my size but finally found a Size 7 made by Werber Sportswear Co. Newburgh, N.Y. should be here this weekend. I could have gotten a quality repro but I got the vintage real deal!
So for me the A-2 is just the start of it and I am having a blast exploring all the other aspects of the crew gear and enjoy the "Related Gear" forum thread.
The AN-6513 QAC parachute harness is an exact reproduction of the early war harness using original period snap hooks hardware. I got it from www.theriggerdepot.com. a bit pricey but worth every penny to complete my early war summer gear impression. The A-4 flight suit is an authentic NOS 1942 that I was able to get for the same price as the modern repros being produced! I'm a USAAF GEEK and Proud of it! LOL!

View attachment 8104 View attachment 8105

View attachment 8106 View attachment 8107

Welcome to my world Edward !! i dont limit myself to one time frame ! if its USAAF issued used by or whatever , ill collect it !! Nice B3 preserver you have there , Shame about the repro harness , but an original will turn up one day ! Im still hunting for a "red group["
OOPPPSS im digressing from the thread !! sorry